[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is tight pattern buckshot popular? Doesn't that defeat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: federal flite control wad.jpg (34 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
federal flite control wad.jpg
34 KB, 1280x720
Why is tight pattern buckshot popular?

Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a shotgun?
>>
Tight pattern buckshot? Where?
>>
File: Beavis and Butthead.jpg (67 KB, 576x430) Image search: [Google]
Beavis and Butthead.jpg
67 KB, 576x430
>>30480248

Huh huh huh...... Wad.
>>
File: flightcontrol1.jpg (40 KB, 493x317) Image search: [Google]
flightcontrol1.jpg
40 KB, 493x317
>>30480265
tight patterns like this are conventionally considered "better"

which seems backwards because why not just use a slug or a rifle if you want one hole?
>>
>>30480248
The purpose of a shotgun it to put as many projectiles downrange as possible in order to facilitate hitting moving targets and cause massive physical trauma via multiple entry and exit wounds. So no, it does not.

Your case would be better made with the slug. But you run into the fact that it makes shooting such a large projectile actually feasible. The amount of recoil produced from, and the ridiculous size and weight of a traditional rifle that was capable of firing a bullet of such size and mass would be very, very impractical.

While 12 gauge slugs do produce a relatively large amount of felt recoil, most seasoned hunters can handle it without an unbearable amount of pain, and the allure of having a 7/8 ounce projectile as an option to hunt larger game with no permanent modification to a relatively cheap firearm is just too great of a prospect to have been ignored.
>>
>>30480403
Buckshot has less chance of overpenetration than a slug. In a self defense scenario this is important. As is keeping all shots on target.
>>
>>30480403
Well yes since having a tight pattern at the muzzle translates to a tighter pattern further downrange. Obviously, what you don't want is a pattern so wide that you only hit the target with one or two shot. So for buckshot, tighter pattern at the muzzle = increase in effective range
>>
>>30480403
>"tight pattern"
>7.4" at 7 yards
>1.5" at 15 yards
Because that would be a very large slug.
>>
Versatility.

You try various loads of buckshot to get desired patterns at the distances you think you might encounter. In a small room, I've found some buckshot loads by Remington that pattern at a little over 1.75" per yard. At five yards, you got a 9" to 12" pattern from the averages I've shot.

If I have to head out to the yard or something like that, the Flitecontrol or Hornady Superformance holds 20" patterns at 50 yards, meaning you can make very effective hits at distance.
>>
>>30480248
Shit don't work in my sxp 18" cylinder bore 12gauge. Pellets go everywhere.
>>
>>30480248
>Doesn't that defeat the purpose of a shotgun?
What do you believe the purpose of the shotgun to be?
>>
>>30480248
Hey kid, did you blow in from stupid town or something?
>>
>>30481037
Did you blow in from faggot town?
>>
>>30481048
Sorry, meant to quote >>30480248
>>
>>30480718
It's .74" not 7.4"
>>
its not about just hitting your target
its about killing your target
>>
>>30481295
It's actually .71", but yeah, my mistake. Would love to see how 7.4" to 1.5" to 4.6" could be made to work though.
>>
>>30481322
well unless you're shooting paper
>>
Because the purpose of buckshot is not a spread. It's not intended to make up for inadequate aim or to hit 4 guys at once.

The point is to create several wound cavities instead of just one which you would get with a slug or rifle/handgun cartridge unless they're fragmenting rounds and even then it's hard to guarantee good fragmentation AND to create comparable wound cavities as the fragments are generally much smaller than #4-00 buckshot in size and don't penetrate as far.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.