[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
If it's stupid and it works...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4
File: AWENEXALEA.png (120 KB, 2800x1400) Image search: [Google]
AWENEXALEA.png
120 KB, 2800x1400
It's still stupid and you're lucky.

This is a thread for dumb weapons or military related ideas that you'd like to see anyway.

>Submarine drones wire guided from a mothersub. Provide torpedo firing platforms that don't give away a sub's position.

>Radar guided hydroplaning rocket-torpedoes. Too low to be acquired by PD radar, too high to be decoyed with normal torpedo countermeasures.

>Putting Hybrid engines in CAS planes to defeat MANPADS. Just switch off the engine when you make your strafing runs and there's no exhaust to lock onto.

>The gun doesn't hold normal cartridges, they're literally tiny shaped charges.

>.22 calibre CIWS systems on armored vehicles for engaging ATGMS.

>Armoring your tanks with millions of wire bristles sticking out like a hedgehog to prematurely detonate ATGMS.

>Mounting CIWS on towed balloons to engage incoming missiles from over the horizon.

>Infantry drones built on 4-wheeler platforms that can provide base of fire or carry extra gear.
>>
High speed unmanned ground effect vehicles. Have a swarm of them shoot past targets, releasing explosives/incendiaries/etc as they pass by.
>>
>>30470501
I like it. Especially the last one, it's like a mechanized donkey
>>
>Hybrid engines

Like electric/petrol?
>>
File: 1465269033173.gif (72 KB, 461x350) Image search: [Google]
1465269033173.gif
72 KB, 461x350
A scanner near the muzzle of a rifle that picks up a unique code broadcasted from a microchip on US dog tags, the scanner is wired to a servo on the outside of the receiver, when the scanner picks up a dog tag, the servo sends a pin into the receiver above the hammer keeping the hammer from dropping. Preventing most cases of small arms friendly fire
>>
>>30470501
Oh it's another "OP thinks he knows better" thread.
>>
>>30470501
>>Putting Hybrid engines in CAS planes to defeat MANPADS. Just switch off the engine when you make your strafing runs and there's no exhaust to lock onto.

>Most dangerous action an aircraft can ever take part in
>Will need all the power it can possibly get to go into and out of it as quickly as possible
>Dude just turn the plane off
>>
>>30470643
Like a Prius, man.

>>30470681
While having no blue on blue would be nice, I can see way too many ways for this to be used against you, and we don't suffer enough blue on blue to make it worthwhile.

>>30470501
> Encoding Command and Control into sound so you could steer underwater drones or torpedoes wirelessly.

>Stealth torpedoes that drift lazily through your ASW screen before blowing up your carrier.

>small quadrotor drones with laser pointers so you could guide Arty or hellfires from outside LOS.

>Thermite is ferromagnetic right? Could we use magnets to create some kind of hypersonic gauss flamethrower?

> All materials have a resonant frequency, right? How hard would it be to isolate the resonant frequency of human bone and then pipe that into a powerful speaker. Be a kinda neat area denial weapon if you could make everyone's skeleton do the Tacoma Narrows.

>Sabot rounds for small-arms.

>Fill gas grenades with bee-stinger pheromones, rioters think they get away home free... until they walk within 100 feet of a bee hive.

>Grenade Launcher deliverable proximity mines.

>Laser copycat systems that detect laser designators, mirror their frequencies and then point an identically tuned designator in twelve different directions.
>>
>>30470793
Dude, I know a hell of a lot of smart people have probably already thought of most of these. This is just a thread for people to spout the kind of drunk logic ideas that are just fun to think of.

>>30470803
Well yeah, you're just switching off the gas engine, you'd be running off electrical power.
>>
So what about a completely remote control sub that's small as shit and it's payload is right in the nose? Same concept, but it's suicidal sub and there's no wire to trace.
>>
>>30471135
The issue being that wireless has shit range underwater and any active C&C signal could be detected and jammed.
>>30471017
>> Encoding Command and Control into sound so you could steer underwater drones or torpedoes wirelessly.
This is a neat idea though. combined you might be able to control a fleet of subdrones using sonobuoys and aircraft/satellites.
>>
>>30471192
So then what about making it like a mini-sub. Your crew bails after setting it on a course right to the sub.
>>
>>30470501
Ok, so this is a dumb idea, but what about unpowered anti-air missiles for standoff range.

Just hear me out. What if you could fire a shell out of an arty piece that could unfold little glide wings and steer itself. You just make it home in on radar and you could sneakily take out AWACS from long distance. You'd just shoot it up above the target and have it dive down on it like a bird.

I might be a little drink, but this seems like a good diea.
>>
>>30471231
Well, issue being that self-guided torpedoes can be fooled, and operator guided ones require fragile wires that mean a sub has to sit still after firing.

The same applies for drones, self guided are stupid and operator guided are dependent on your transmission medium. Wire being clumsy and short ranges and wireless being jammable, detectable and shit underwater.

So, I think the idea was to have a sub drone operating stealthily and relay commands to it by encoding data into your sonar and letting it passively listen for you. You could put your sonar transducer in a bunch of little buoys to make it hard to take out and transmit the instructions to the buoys by satelite or aircraft.

They only issue is getting signal back from the drone, which would require it to go active and reveal itself. I think we could get around this by knowing the drone's original position and calculating new positions by assuming it followed your orders. Ocean currents and thermoclines and shit would need to be simulated.
>>
>>30471275
So, JDAMS but with gunpowder behind them?
>>
>>30471379
But aimed at airplanes!
>>
>>30470501
That last one is actually a really good idea. Try and pitch it and make bank
>>
File: Fucking brutal.jpg (35 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Fucking brutal.jpg
35 KB, 600x600
>>30471017
>make everyone's skeleton do the Tacoma Narrows.
> Gas grenades filled with bee pheromones.
>>
>>30470501
That's not how aircraft engines work. Maybe a regular prop could use electricity but a turbo prop or jet engine uses the exhaust thrust for propulsion. That's why after burners are a thing.
>>
File: Dear Sandy.jpg (71 KB, 640x385) Image search: [Google]
Dear Sandy.jpg
71 KB, 640x385
>>30471466
Well, I was thinking of prop driven CAS planes (or maybe helicopters?).
>>
>>30471495
Well in that case, yeah sure, can't see any reason besides needing a fuckhuge battery
>>
>>30471495
By the way that pic is super sexy
>>
>>30471432
I miss read it x.x
>>
>>30470501
>.22 CWIS
horrible idea.
Raytheon already designed an ADS for tanks, it shoots a shotgun blast that disables the missle.
>>
I just want you all to know that all your ideas here will be considered and possibly used. Thank you.
>>
>>30471064
>Well yeah, you're just switching off the gas engine, you'd be running off electrical power.

I don't think you understand how aircraft engines work
>>
>>30471017
>How hard would it be to isolate the resonant frequency of human bone
>area denial weapon

Short answer: Theory's there, just need to overcome some feasibility issues and research ethics.

Long answer:
Open air is actually a pretty shitty vibration transmitter. Yes, ears are uniquely fragile and can get fucked up pretty bad by loud noise, but you're not asking for a blown eardrum. To go for the bones, you're going to need some serious powah, and atmosphere won't do that for you.

The ground, however, is another story. You can transmit a lot more power through a packed slab of soil. That in mind, imagine a human as a vertical stack of springs of varied stiffness. Bone would be stiffer than cartilage and contracted muscle (because if you're doing this right, they will be spasming), but it's pretty much all a bunch of springs in a line. This can be driven to resonance, like shoving the end of a slinky back and forth just right. You can probably mess up a few joints this way, but if nothing else the skull will be shaking a lot.

What I propose to meet your specification is replacing the ground with a shaker table, and running a continuous frequency sweep to account for variation in size and composition of enemy footsoldiers. Give it enough beans, and you'll get what you're asking for. The issue is that "enough beans" is probably "too much beans to supply," so you'll need a direct hookup to the nearest power transmission lines to make it work.
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.