[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, continuing from last night (I went to sleep and the thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
So, continuing from last night (I went to sleep and the thread died before I got up). Topic was "should I use a 7.5" barrel or a 10.5" barrel for my HD pistol AR build. I'm looking at running 5.56 with 55gr or less varment/LE ammo. Haven't completely ruled out using 300blk though. I live in an apartment right now so over penetration is kind of a huge concern for me as I don't want to accidentally kill or maim one of my neighbors. Some people were talking about using a .45 or 9mm gun. I've done that in the past. I'd feel more comfortable with .45 as I've seen what it does when it hits wall studs and I'm comfortable with it. I've also seen what HP 9mm does and it has way to much over penetration. I really don't want to use it were I'm at right now.
>>
>9mm over penetrates
>5.56 doesn't

???
>>
>>30464812
Lighter grain 5.56 tends to fragments upon hitting drywall a shit load better than 9mm. We encountered this in Iraq when doing raids. We found that 5.56 had something like 30% lethality after going through a wall and that's even if it made it through to the other side at all.
>>
>>30464812
Yep.
>>
>>30464960
>>30464996

and now I know
>>
File: latest.gif (22 KB, 508x408) Image search: [Google]
latest.gif
22 KB, 508x408
>>30465002
G.I. JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOE!
>>
>>30464802
If you're worried about home defense, you should get a Maverick 88 or something similar to that.
>>
>>30465949
Single shot versus high capacity baby killing a salt rifle. Hmmm
>>
>>30465949
OK uncle Biden. But seriously, 12ga is to much. Even with bird shot. The farthest fight distance I have indoors is at most 25 FEET. Even with bird shot it'll still act more similar to a slug as its still packed together and you also have the wad there too. Regardless of what type of shotgun ammo, it'll easily go though the walls and retain a high amount of lethality if not maiming capabilities. A shotgun is a "No Go" for my application. Trust me, I've thought about it and I would've actually gone with a Mossberg 940 (I think that's it. It's semi auto and can come in a tac model with extended tube, 18.5in barrel, and ghost ring sights).

I decided on using a 5.56 due to its high fragmentation capabilities up striking it's target. On a person, high damage. On walls, minimum penetration.
>>
>>30466201
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU
>>
>>30466201
Oh, sorry, misread your comment, if a shotgun is too much penetration, try a paintball gun load with pepperballs. They are used by riot police all the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGCLL-rxQVQ

They are expensive.
>>
>>30466231
So, yards and feet are greatly different lengths. And they did another video later on were they used different shotgun ammo At FEET not yards against drywall. They all passed through the drywall with significant power at the shorter distances that would be about how far I'd be from the walls in my apartment.

>>30466287
I thought about something like that. But at the same time, there's no real justice served against dindu nuffin who breaks in. I've actually thought about just using regular paintball and ramping up the pressure. That shit fucking hurts at point blank ranges. Got shot in the face during a game and lost all feeling in the lower half of my face for about an hour. Also thought about loading it with ball bearings instead of paintballs. The likely hood of it punching through both sides of my walls isn't too high and it'll definitely cause some pain to the intruder.
>>
>>30466387
I played paintball quite a bit as a teenager, and paintballs alone really don't stop someone unless you hit them in the eyes of course.
>>
>>30466387

Ball Bearings are way too heavy. You could also get a shotgun round loaded with a bean bag.
>>
>>30466482
The bean bag round thing comes with HUGE legalality issues. I don't really want to mess with that. And every cop, attorney, and judge I've talked have all said it's a million times better if the intruder doesn't survive. Less paperwork and easier to claim it was in defense.
>>
>>30466594
Learn Martial Arts, nobody is going to sue you for restraining them after they break into your house. Problem solved.

I can't help but feel that I am being baited in this thread.
>>
>>30466702
You're not. But this is America they'll sue you for using excessive force in detaining them. Remember, there is an actual case where a dude fell through the skylight and impaled himself on a knife on the counter top while he was trying to break in. He sued and won.
>>
>>30467013
Well, you're right, but there are also a lot of people uneducated about the law too or use shitty lawyers.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.