[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
9x19mm vs 9x18mm
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: Makarov_and_Luger_cartridges.jpg (130 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
Makarov_and_Luger_cartridges.jpg
130 KB, 640x640
Is there a significant difference between 9x19 and 9x18 cartridges in real world applications? I know that the 9x19mm is a technically superior round but does that translate to real performance?
>>
>>30454141
Yes
>>
A quick Google search of ballistics data would give you your answer.
>>
>>30454165
But do the ballistic tests translate to real world effectiveness?
Basically would there be any significant difference between shooting someone with a 9x19 over a 9x18?
>>
>>30454141
9x18 makes people slightly less dead than 9x19
>>
>>30454181
How bout you take a moment and think about it after look at the available data? It'll protect you from forming your opinions around an anonymous internet nobody telling you yes or no.
>>
You will be limited by ammunition selection, and weapons that are made in 9x18. Obviously it is very similar, you shouldn't be too worried about whether or not it will kill or seriously maim a person. That's what shot placement, and practice are for. However if you are thinking about buying a gun in 9mm, I won't stop you. Growing a collection in a variety of calibers (except for .40) can be a fun experience.
>>
>>30454141

>I know that X is superior
>does that translate to performance
No. The superior thing preforms worse.

are you stupid, or just fucking retarded?
>>
The 9x19 will hit your target sooner than the 9x18 because it's that much longer.
>>
>>30454203

It's pretty similar.

If it helps, 380 is basically 9x17
>>
>>30454298
>except for .40

God you internet pretendowarriors are so petty. There is noting wrong with owning guns in .40 even if just to have it for the coming happening.
>>
>>30454318
>technically superior
>real world performance
Do you read, anon?
>>
The tldr is 9x18 has less velocity and would be better for avoiding overpenetration than 9x19. It will sure hurt someone but is slightly less potent than 9x19. Hope that helped.
>>
Makarov performs like a .380 but recoils like a 9mm.
>>
>>30457363
I'd say worse since I had a Polish P64 and that was the most painful gun I've ever fired. I sold it because fuck that shit. I've fired .357 snubbies that were less painful.

I might buy a Makarov down the road for shits and giggles to my collection but as for self-defense I'll stick to 9mm Parabellum. Much more ammo, cheap, and you get more power out of it. Also higher capacity compared to guns chambered in 9x18. The only one that has a decent capacity is the CZ82.
>>
File: 9x21mm versus 9x19mm.jpg (70 KB, 202x250) Image search: [Google]
9x21mm versus 9x19mm.jpg
70 KB, 202x250
>>30454350
There's also 9x21
>>
>>30454977
Ask the Russians that now field a 9x19 pistol. By sheer volume of use you could say that the 9x19 is more effective in the real world and those "technically" superior ballistics + projectile design will tell you that something heavier, faster and imparting more energy would perform better and more reliability but how the fuck do you imagine that's going to be accurately tested?
>>
>>30457572
Several 9x21s which vary in power level, 9x23 win, .38super, .356TSW, .38TJ and super comp, the various 9mm majors and 5.56 based rounds, .960 Roland(why not 360 ffs) etc.
>>
>>30454141
There's a difference of about 1mm.
>>
9x18 is a discontinued cartridge. The years it ran were decades ago. Chamber pressure is going to be a lot different. Russia is starting to pick up 9x19 and they're probably doing a lot better with it than anything chambered for rifle or intermediate rifle rounds.
9x18 is probably going to be a lot less effective than parabellum no matter how you cut it.
>>
>>30457692
Russia still uses a lot of Makarovs.

They have barely put any home made 9x19 pistols in the field or police.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.