[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Okay, someone I know is having buyers remorse about this pistol.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6
File: swbodyguard-ctlaser-1.jpg (18 KB, 535x535) Image search: [Google]
swbodyguard-ctlaser-1.jpg
18 KB, 535x535
Okay, someone I know is having buyers remorse about this pistol. The S&W 380 Bodyguard.

Here's the thing: I don't think it's a bad pistol.

But this is her response about it:
>I need two hands to use the safety, it's hard to pull the slide back, too many switches, buttons, levers and gears. This sucks, I want my 20 year old revolver.

Which, my response is 'okay', but now what do we do with this thing? Keep it? Should I be trying to find classes or something for her to take on how to operate a semi-auto pistol? Because this was her first magazine-fed pistol.

She originally wanted it because of the built-in laser, is there a similar pistol that has easier operation at a similar price point?
>>
>>30451653
Should have got the safetyless version. Simple as fuck double action only. Absolutely no need for a manual safety.
>crimson trace laser

that is the regret along with the manual safety, not on the gun but on those two specific "features".

If I were her, I would sell it at a loss and do the following.
>buy pic
>put this inside

http://gallowayprecision.com/smith-and-wesson/bodyguard-380/short-stroke-trigger-kit-for-bodyguard-380/
https://youtu.be/z8BKeIRnYyU?t=67

Research has to be done prior to buying a gun. Always.
>>
>>30451722
Yeah, it was probably my fault to begin with or not recommending her returning it sooner. It's been several months now in a shoebox because she wants nothing to do with it.

As an example, I had to explain to her the difference between .38 and .380, as she bought no ammo for the thing; thinking that she had plenty of .38 at home. (Special, at that)

I suppose though, if we had to return it at this point at a loss. Would it be worth buying another? Or should we be in the market for a shield or something like that?
>>
>>30451653
>it's hard to pull the slide back

Every single female needs to lay the fuck off the lotion. Those slides aren't hard to cycle at all. If she can hold a gallon of milk by the handle for 2 fucking seconds, she can rack the slide on a .380 Bodyguard. Just give the goddamn revolver.
>>
>>30451653
I had one, it was awful. I traded it in after 6 months for a better gun
>>
>>30451759
>Or should we be in the market for a shield or something like that?

I would suggest a fullsize or compact first. A subcompact isn't a good starter gun but the Shield is a really good gun. The extended mag can be used to make a grip as tall as a glock 19's.
>>
>>30451901
If she doesn't like the slide on the bodyguard she'll absolutely *hate* the slide on the shield. It's quite stiff, especially when new.
>>
>>30451947
Well, tell her to give up on guns and practice speed dialing 911.

Seriously, racking slides is easy as shit. Most women are incapable of using any amount of "force" at first since they aren't used to it
>>
>>30451959
>Well, tell her to give up on guns and practice speed dialing 911.

I almost like this idea better, but I doubt I'll ever convince her that it's for the best.

>>30451947
Didn't know that, thanks.

>>30451880
Heh, sorry to hear. What was wrong with it? I haven't had a chance to put any rounds through the thing, it not technically being mine and all.
>>
Sell it or do a trade in for a ruger lcp custom
>>
>>30451653
Ok, here's the deal (since she obvisouly cannot buy the safetyless version:

1) Keep the safety off. Its a covered hammer so whats supposed to happen?

2) YOU OP, take the gun and rack the slide aout 1.5 to 2k times - it can be done in front of the tv. This will make the slide MUCH smoother

3) She should just play with the unloaded gun as much as she can. Flip the levers, push buttons, whatever until the location of everything is in her muscle memory

I know new guns can be a little annoying sometimes, but as a proud bodyguard owner I say: The gun itself is fucking tit-tier and I wouldnt trade it for anything else. Its all about getting used to it. Its like fucking: most girls got pain the first few times but then it starts to feel great.
>>
File: aafsafasfasfas.webm (2 MB, 720x404) Image search: [Google]
aafsafasfasfas.webm
2 MB, 720x404
>need two hands to use safety

Does she not have thumbs? It's admittedly a bit annoying to engage it, but it's a covered hammer DAO with a disgustingly heavy trigger. It doesn't need a fucking safety anyway.

I swear, people always get mad when gunstore owners recommend revolvers for women, but for the most part they're right. They're incapable of grasping the manual of arms of a semi-auto pistol. Especially a small one.
>>
>>30451653

>her

opinion discarded

>two hands to use safety
wut
>it's hard to pull the slide back
srsly
>too many switches, buttons, levers and gears
nigger you're making this shit up, right?
>I want my 20 year old revolver
than give it to her and stop thinking you can convince a woman of anything, ever.
>>
>>30451653
Just get her a revolver, christ.

Women shouldn't have access to more than 6 shots anyways.
>>
>>30453325
>>30453347
these men have either been married, or in very, very long term relationships.

want to know how I know? Also, just get her a DAO revolver with no "bob" on the hammer. Ruger makes a couple that are cool, and they make damn good revolvers.
>>
>>30451653
>this was her first magazine-fed pistol
>is there a similar pistol that has easier operation at a similar price point

If she has trouble with all this in a nonstressful situation and isn't willing to practice then semi auto just really isn't for her. Learning the standard semi auto controls on a subcompact sounds pretty awful though teebeeeighche.
Also she is probably still going to have a hell of a time racking the slide on a lcp or bodyguard.

Sell it at a loss, get a lcr with crimson trace or something if she wants the laser, if not there are approximately 9,001 decent options for snubnose revolvers without lasers.

My cc is a semiauto because capacity and familiarity, but a .38 revolver is more than enough for most self defense situations and if she knows how to use that better that is the better option for her, another 3 or 5 bullets won't do a goddamn thing if she doesn't know how to/can't use the gun.
>>
File: cobra.380.jpg (40 KB, 700x538) Image search: [Google]
cobra.380.jpg
40 KB, 700x538
So i just ordered pic related. Anyone here own one? how is it? It was only $130 i couldn't help myself..
>>
>>30451947
>If she doesn't like the slide on the bodyguard she'll absolutely *hate* the slide on the shield

The Bodyguard is a .380, so it's probably straight blowback.

The Shield is in 9mm, so it's short recoil, MUCH easier to rack that slide.
>>
>>30454186
Looks like a Bryco or Jennings, it's probably shit.
>>
File: 1457918585395.png (145 KB, 509x368) Image search: [Google]
1457918585395.png
145 KB, 509x368
>>30454186
nigga what are you doing
>>
>>30456431
Not straight blowback. It is so light it has a barrel toggle delay. The take down lever, safety and slide are difficult for wimps and women. But nothing that can't be overcome with practice. The BG has one thing going for it. It doesn't print like other pistols. I carry one in the pockets of my khakis.
>>
I absolutely love mine but I'm a 6'3 guy so I don't really have the female strength issues she's having. That being said, if she can't operate it well and she can sell it or trade it without taking a huge hit do that since if she needs it she'll definitely need to be able to use it.
>>
>>30451653
>her

Women are fucking useless
>>
>>30451653
>its a women suck at /k/ thread

Great
>>
>>30452911
Oh that's a good idea, I'll do that when I get home.

>>30453284
see, I didn't get it either. When holding it two-hand position, engaging/disengaging the safety takes my left thumb and nothing more.

I thought initially that her problem stemmed from the fact she was pushing it straight-up when it really makes a kind of circular motion in the groove.

>I swear, people always get mad when gunstore owners recommend revolvers for women, but for the most part they're right.
It's funny because I suggested that maybe she should return it and try out some features of other pistols and she pretty much withdrew into her 'No, .38 revolver.It's all I need'

>>30453325
>nigger you're making this shit up, right?
nope, remember, first semi-auto pistol. Her revolver isn't double-action

>>30453366
You know, maybe I should do that. Just try to see if I can get her a ruger.

>>30453459
Maybe, let me give it another try.

>>30457756
>>30457781
Eh, I'm not sure it's entirely a woman issue. It's just more that she's stubborn and paranoid, and wants everything to work immediately. I tried showing her how to remove the slide, and that was the point she just threw up her hands and said 'I quit'. Probably pushed my luck.
>>
File: 20160613_122705.jpg (3 MB, 2976x2976) Image search: [Google]
20160613_122705.jpg
3 MB, 2976x2976
>>30451653
Should've got the nano and bought the Crimson laser attachment.

>no safety
>shoots 9mm
>virtually weightless 1.4lbs
>>
OP did she even want a new gun in the first place or were you just itching to buy something new so you mansplained her into the decision? Kinda sounds like she is content with her revolver.
>>
>>30453284
>They're incapable of grasping the manual of arms of a semi-auto pistol. Especially a small one.

In that case, you shouldn't be owning a gun. There's no way you can appropriately respond and act to a threat especially under pressure if you aren't able to grasp the concept of how a firearm operates.
>>
>>30458098
>Eh, I'm not sure it's entirely a woman issue
The first two are woman issues, women have no grip/pinch strength.

The last one is just a retard issue.
>>
get her to shoot a sig p238 or 938

if she can't handle basic 1911-esque operations (even simpler since a round can be chambered with safety on) she shouldnt be CCing

price? it's an every day carry for self defense, i shouldnt need to explain anything here and if price is a massive factor then the need to CC in the first place should be reconsidered
>>
>>30454186
used to own a cobra, sold it at the last gun show. their not great. dont expect much from 130$ pistol....but i can say that mine never jammed and i cleaned it one time (the day i took it home)
>>
>>30454186
lmoa never buy cobra.

If you want a .380 compact carry on the cheap look up the Bersa thunder.
>>
>>30451722
>>30451653
you could just not put the safety on. I only put it one when im taking it off my person or handing it to another such as on a range -- when its in my nightstand the safety is on, but the trigger is such a long god damn pull that i really see no need in a safety
>>
>>30451653
My gf had one last year. It had the worst trigger pull of any firearm I've ever fired in my life. My girlfriend literally couldn't get it to go bang half the time.

Plus it's too small and has more recoil with .380 than compact 9mm's.

Take it back, and buy an Springfield xdm. That's what we did and she loooves it. More than my p226 even.
>>
>>30454186
Dat extractor..

What have you done
>>
>>30451959

I too notice many first time shooters treat guns like they're very fragile.

That or she had the safety on.

>>30451653

Get laser grips for her revolver.
>>
>>30458240
>no safety
>finger on trigger
>has it in the car, so it's probably loaded
>taking picture with phone in other hand

opinion discarded
>>
File: u_cheeky_cunt.png (659 KB, 720x540) Image search: [Google]
u_cheeky_cunt.png
659 KB, 720x540
>>30463364
>thinks gun is loaded
>Just stick to cap guns jr.
>doesn't know shit about weapon safety rules
>smells like summer
>opinion and assumption discarded
>>
>>30459819
She bought it herself one day completely out of the blue. She had an encounter where she swore that someone was on her property late one night (but we couldn't ever find any evidence that there was) and she immediately started talking about how things would have been different if she had a pistol with a laser sight.

Then she came over one day with a box and said 'Read the instructions and tell me how to use it'.

>>30461152
I'll keep that in mind.

>>30461404
Fair enough point.

>>30461567
Didn't know. I'll write that down if I take it back for trade-in.

>>30461671
>Get laser grips for her revolver.
That's a good idea, I should do that whether I return it or not.
>>
>>30451653
just shot this wednesday.
>long ass trigger pull
>recoil is retarded
>gimmick finicky laser

Theres a way better micro .380s out there. Bodyguard is junk
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.