[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mini 14
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 5801.jpg (36 KB, 825x160) Image search: [Google]
5801.jpg
36 KB, 825x160
Been wanting to get into rifles. Only have handguns and a shotgun right now. What is the best rifle I can get for around $500?

I've been looking into the mini 14 but they're all going for almost $800 on gunbroker. Is it worth it? I'd like to buy new for what it's worth. $500 is my ceiling because I found an idiot willing to pay that much for my shotgun.
>>
>>30449090
Found an idiot willing to pay 800 for my mini 14.
>>
>>30449090
>What is the best rifle I can get for around $500?

Just save up another $500 and get yourself a decent AR + some ammo

You're not going to get anything you'll like for $500.
>>
Id go with a mini only if you have to have the "traditional" rifle.

But for 500 sheckles, you could get a rugger 556 or an m&p15 and have a better jumping point for getting into rifles
>>
>>30449156
I do prefer the "traditional" rifle just for aesthetics, but I still love shooting my dad's AR15, so either way is fine
>>
>>30449090
Ar15s are cheaper and in many ways better than Mini-14s. If you really like the Mini-14 you can get one used for around 500, but it will probably be an older model with the thin barrel. Newer ones go for 600ish used these days.

You can differentiate between them by barrel thickness and serial number prefix (180-196 are old, 580+ are new).
>>
If your in buff New York I'll sell you one I just bought with 40 rounds threw it .
>>
>>30449090
Hear me out, accuracy can't match an AR-15...so don't even try to chase tge MOA. Get the shortest barrel and use the 30 round magazine and put a red dot on it and have it sighted for 50 meters or less and use it as a spray and pray home defense rifle.

Trying to get the 18" and adding glass for medium to long range shooting is just going to disapoint you.
>>
I am a proud owner of a "climbing the clocktower" starter kit and I will tell you all there is to know about Sturm Rugers failed replacement for the M1.

First off why are you thinking mini? I had little choice it was the cheapest not black "black rifle" that i could get because of the very very very fucking strict gun laws that we have here in Canada. Anything that looks military or was ever issued to any force foreign or domestic is haraam. And whatever is not outright banned is restricted to the point where i cant even take the damn things to a gunsmith without informing our prime minister and getting an authorization.

Getting off topic tho. I can take my gas operated air cooled magazine fed 5.56 mini 14 anywhere i please.

I have on order a sage EBR stock which looks sweet as fuck but i blame you murcans for the export hold up on that one.

Accuracy... its there the 580s are better than the old stock but dont expect it to be a tack driver like an AR. You can get some bullshit expensive stabilizer for it but you might as well tape a dildo to the barrel. In the end it can consistently hit a man sizedsized target at 100m thats good enough for me.

The construction is solid and it does have a reciprocating bolt so keep your fingers out of it but it will fire hard every time.

Now the down sides. The aftermarket selection on this is shaky at best if the AR is the honda civic of the rifle world the mini is like... the sunfire? Stuff is out there but its expensive and very few people even bother when the AR world has a much higher return. For example a 5/30 magazine here is $100+ where as i can get an AR 5/30 for about $15

Pros:
Cheap i paid 800$Cdn new
Fun
Takes 5.56 or .223 (target rifle is .223 only)
Has that sweet as fuck EBR stock
I can keep it in my truck if i wanted
Accurate enough
Looks good out of the box
Not"just another AR"

Cons:
Not as accurate as a good AR
Shitty aftermarket
The stock 5rd mag is a pain in the dick
Ive had probs with the rear sight ymmv
>>
>>30450144
I forgot to mention the most important part.. fuck me.. GAS PISTON > Gas impingement. All that inburnt powder and shit get shit out the forend instead of launched into your breech and fouling it up. Much easier to clean.
>>
>>30449090
OP, get a Kel-Tec S2k, gen 2 of course. It's offered in 9mm or .40 cal, which you very well possibly have since you're a handgun guy

They usually go for $500 or less if you can find them
>>
>>30449090
I really hate the look of most $500 ARs, so it pains me to say this. If it's a one or the other arrangement, go AR. Easy to upgrade, mags are cheap and ubiquitous etc etc. I plan on getting an AR anyway so I didn't need to justify the mini purchase
>>
so far, everyone is wrong. dont get an ar or mini 14/30, theyre problematic. save and get either a saiga or arsenal ak. i promise theyre infinitely more reliable and only very mildly less accurate.
>>
File: bait simplified.jpg (25 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
bait simplified.jpg
25 KB, 800x600
>>30452041
>>
>>30449090
if you want classic but better accuracy, go ares SCR
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.