[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Reloading thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 21
File: dillon 550b.jpg (44 KB, 206x400) Image search: [Google]
dillon 550b.jpg
44 KB, 206x400
Looking to get into reloading. I'd like to load .40 S&W a bit longer OAL to 1.180" to 1.200". I know everybody says to start with a single stage press for load workup. Any reason why I can't go straight to a progressive to save time?
>>
>>30448714
Yuo can easily do load workup on progressives.
The recommendation for as single stage is less things happening at once mean yo can pay more attention to each detail as you go. NOt really an issue if you go slow and careful to start. Single stage is still handy to deprime to keep grit out of the mechanism of the progressive
>>
>>30448740

Any preferred progressives? I might want the flexibility to do .223 and pistol calibers.
>>
>>30448740

also what about doing your depriming with a hand tool vs a single stage?
>>
>>30448883
I like RCBS but Hornady is quite good. Stay away from Lee unless you are a good tinkerer. Dillon at this point is mostly just about the brand name until you get into the 1050 territory.
>>
>>30448909
Works. I use a Lee hand press with universal depriming die to deprime before cleaning. Do it over a small bucket and wash your hands beofre doing anything else.
>>
I need to shave down some .45 Long Colt cases to .455 Webley dimensions but don't have a lathe, how would I go about this?

Main work I need to do is thin the rim and trim the case.
>>
>>30448953
jig and power drill?
>>
>>30448986
How would I make a jig?

Have some vague idea of getting some piping and making a rim trimmer but I'm getting stuck on how I would stop the case from just biting onto the cutter and spinning with it instead of trimming it.
>>
>>30448714
Depending on how much you load per month and number of calibers you like to load, a lee classic turret may be an option for you. Unlike a progressive, caliber changes take under a minute. Loading 300 rounds an hour is pretty easy to do and you can remove the auto indexing rod and load single stage style if you wish.

I load on the lee classic turret, about 10k rounds a year and I cant justify switching to a progressive. I enjoy the 4-5 hours a month Im behind that press. I had some easy money I made off of buying huge lots of reloading shit and reselling it on armslist. made a killing, over $6k in a couple months. I let myself buy something stupid. A dillon 650, case feeder and all the fixins was tempting but in the end I bought a 500 mag revolver and all the shit I needed to cast and load for the beast. No regrets.

To answer you OP- yes you can start loading on a progressive by only loading one case at a time but I just dont trust em. So much going on at once and you really dont get the same "feel" that you do when using one die at a time. I have never loaded a split case before. I have accidently missed a few on initial inspection but they are very easy to catch once you get them on the press. you will feel a significant difference when sizing. very easy to feel in the ptx die as well. There is no way you can feel everything going on when you have 4-5 cases going around on a progressive...
>>
>>30448953
Lathe or careful file work.
Maybe just buy some brass, ikt comes up for sale every now and then.
>>
>>30449024
Tried every gun store within 3 hour drive from me, not a single box of .455 at any price and every online store just shrugs and says they'll get it when they get it.

Shit is fucking infuriating because I thought that .455 wasn't that obscure of a caliber when I bought a gun chambered in it.
>>
>>30449059
Sucks to be you. If you are willing to wait Fiocchi will do another production run in the next year or two. Hornady might as well.
Try the classifieds on the CastBoolits forum. You should already be a member there anyways to get in on group buys on molds like the Mk2 Manstopper.
A jig would simply be a hole bored in steel so the case can sit in it. Rebate a section to the right rim thickness and you can run afile across to get the right thickness p[retty fast
>>
>>30449183
Won't that fuck with the primer seating? All sources tell me to trim from the top.

Also are they still doing the group buy, last thread I saw on it was like 2014
>>
>>30449358
You can't thin the rim without taking material from the bottom. Would have to ream the primer pocket back to depth.
Also going to have a damn hard time finding any brass with a wide enough rim to work properly.
>>
Not sure if I want to cast or just buy the lead bullets. 350 or 405gr, 20 or 25cpr, or put down ~$150+ for a casting setup and get 40lbs of wheel weight free from a buddy.
>>
File: 14672612253831265877683.jpg (373 KB, 2048x1152) Image search: [Google]
14672612253831265877683.jpg
373 KB, 2048x1152
>>30449497
I was talking about cutting from the rim side facing the case mouth like pic
>>
>>30448714
Try a Lee turret press, OP. You can load a single cartridge and get the process down without switching any dies out.
>>
>>30448883
i have a Dillon 550, and I love it.
>>
>>30448953
my man, get a brass trimmer with an ability to connect to a power drill.
>>
>>30449811
Then you would need a lathe.
>>
File: throat_wear.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
throat_wear.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
This is probably a dumb question but I am a newfag at relodan.

My books give me a max case length, which is fine, they also state a trim to case length, all this is clear. But why should I trim my case to that shorter length if I have military rifles with chambers that will accommodate cases of a length longer than specified?

None of my brass, whether new or once fired, ever reached that max length but shouldn't I want it to be as long as possible so long as the length is uniform across all my cases? Would that help positioning centering the bullet in the throat? I don't jam them into the lands but I don't want really long jumps either.

Another argument for the long case might be that if I seat my bullets relatively far out to try and get the ogive a few thousands off the lands then wouldn't a longer neck vs a trimmed down one give me better neck tension with what would be less of the bullet in the case?
>>
>>30450192
We'll see, I'll post my attempt and subsequent rage quitting when I get my ammo in.
>>
File: bench.jpg (3 MB, 3733x2813) Image search: [Google]
bench.jpg
3 MB, 3733x2813
>>30448714
I have essentially the same setup as in the picture, love it for loading 9mm to keep up with my competition shooting habit.
>>
File: Snapchat-4232154740280253519.jpg (408 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Snapchat-4232154740280253519.jpg
408 KB, 1080x1920
>>30448883
I have the hornady lnl ap and do 223 on it. I love it! The thing is super sturdy and gets it done within reasonable tolerances for precision 223.

My only gripe is if the area under the shell plate gets dirty the timing gets off.

Pic is when I was carelessly depriming and I didn't get the case in the shell plate all the way. This was effortless.
>>
>>30450643
Jesus Christ, imagine if that was your dick.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1466990584175.jpg (36 KB, 752x511) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1466990584175.jpg
36 KB, 752x511
>>30450636
That Is the gayest fucking saying I have ever read.
>>
>>30450636
Nice bench. What's the worktop, Maple?
>>
>>30450709
lel, who gives a shit. it's a reasonable thing said by a Pennsylvania delegate to the Continental Congress

>>30450717
yeah, maple butcher block
>>
>>30450580
When fired, cases stretch. Upon repeated firings a case may stretch so long that it no longer chambers. Then you have to trim it back down. This effect is most apparent in rifle brass, especially high-pressure magnums.
You don't HAVE to trim down to the trim-to length, that's just the minimum that you should not trim past. If you stop short, it just means you may have to trim more often.
>>
>>30448953
I'm not sure how far you have to trim. If its much then a mini chop saw can be the first stage.
>>
Don't get into reloading thinking about volume. Get into reloading thinking about quality and safety. The thought of someone starting out reloading with a progressive for 223 is scary. So much of reloading is not intuitive. Using a single stage for a year or and manual prep tools will let a person understand what is going on and what to watch for. Someone going for volume right out of the gate is not going to think it is really all that necessary to check for signs of case head separation with a paper clip on range brass or previously reloaded brass. Just having someone who knows what they are doing set up a Dillon 550 for you so that all you know to do is feed it and pull the lever is not smart.
>>
>>30451165
I'll have to trim nearly half an inch so a chops away is a decent idea. Or I could make a jig out if some 2x4 s and a dremal because I'm a cheap bastard.
>>
File: AMU_handloading_shop.jpg (72 KB, 640x478) Image search: [Google]
AMU_handloading_shop.jpg
72 KB, 640x478
>>30448714
Okay /k/

I've wanted to get into reloading for a few months and want a hobby for winter, but I'm not sure where to start. I'd be loading 30-30 and .308 to start but I know next to nothing about it. Where should I start? Is there a good all around starter kit that would be useful? Any good tips?
>>
>>30453771
I don't reccomend starter kits. The main reason is that there isn't a single company that makes the all the best equipment for the best price. Ii bought one and I regret it, I've replaced everything but the little plastic powder scoop (basically a spoon).

Start by finding out, through research, the basic items you need. You can add more stuff as you progress in skill and knowledge. Then read up and find out which one is the best to buy. Don't buy bundles.
>>
>>30449059
Join lots of reloading pages on Facebook.
>>
>>30453771
You can buy something like an RCBS Rockchucker Supreme kit, it comes with almost everything you need except a trimmer, calipers and dies. You will need a press, dies, trimmer, deburr/chamfer tool, priming tool, scale, calipers & components (primer, powder, bullets.) Also useful is a powder measure, tumbler for cleaning brass & Hornady headspace gages.

I would recommend buying a good manual like Lyman makes, has an overview of the reloading process plus good data.
>>
>>30448714
Nope, no reason to not jump to progressive if you're gonna be doing high volume reloading.

>>30448883
I have a Hornady LnL AP, I bought it because it was nearly $200 cheaper than a Dillon 650XL (I do a lot of magnum rifle and they supposedly don't fit in a 550) plus I liked the idea of inexpensive die bushings instead of $50+ toolheads since I reload for over a dozen calibers.
>nobody makes a shell plate for any progressive press for .405win

>>30448909
I don't see any reason to not deprime/re-prime on the press, unless you spend a lot of time in front of a TV.

And, while I'm at it,
>FUCK SMALL PRIMER .45ACP CASES
I've now found FOUR brands that do this, all of which also make large primer cases so you can't simply sort by headstamp. Blazer, Federal, Fiocchi, and Winchester all do it on at least some of their cases.

Also, why the dicks does Herters crimp primer pockets on their .45? It's literally not worth the time to ream it out, I just scrap it.
>>
>>30454361
>why the dicks does Herters crimp primer pockets on their .45

Maybe they bought some old surplus tooling or something?

Also just modify a shell plate for your obscure caliber. Waiting for companies to do something for you is commie talk.
>>
>>30448909
I had a Lee hand primer break on me. The handle snapped in my hand.

It never seated primers well in my opinion, not in comparison to seating them on my press.
>>
I'm looking to get into reloading mainly .45 and 9mm, might get into .223 later. What brands should I stick with and should I jump up to a turret press or progressive?
>>
>>30454676
how much do you shoot? If it's for .45 and 9mm you are better off jumping right to turret, progressive if you shoot more than 10,000 rounds a year.
>>
>>30454497
lol I bought a Lee single stage. Not like I'm shooting tons and tons of .405 at 80gr of Varget and a $1 bullet, not to mention the recoil.
>>
>>30454798
>not practicing your mad minute with your medicine stick every range trip

Bunch a slack jawed faggots in here.
>>
File: 20160630_132212.jpg (4 MB, 2008x3012) Image search: [Google]
20160630_132212.jpg
4 MB, 2008x3012
Just finished the new bench after the old one fell apart after 8 years
>>
>>30454693
I try to shoot at least ever other week normally 100-200 rounds per trip. Also my buddy and I are looking into shooting IDPA.
>>
>>30454947
You'd be well to do with a progressive then, IDPA will eat ammo like no ones business.

Maybe work out a deal with your friend on components or something, hazmat fees are a bitch and a half.
>>
File: image.jpg (43 KB, 500x632) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
43 KB, 500x632
>>30454921
Mfw I had that toy helicopter
>>
>>30454921
How hard would it be to hook up a motor to a progressive press?
>>
File: 20160618_211311.jpg (3 MB, 4032x2268) Image search: [Google]
20160618_211311.jpg
3 MB, 4032x2268
>>30455038
Look up the mark 7 auto loader and have some towels ready. Mine for my 650 is already reserved
>>
>>30455038
Not very, and they sell both electric and hydraulic kits. The electric is quieter and cheaper but doesn't last as long.
>>
>>30454907
>implying I don't
That's still only 6 rounds a range trip if I only do it once.
>>
>>30454982
Funny thing is said buddy reloads .45 on a single stage and I buy ammo from him. We're both starting to get really into reloading.
>>
>>30455064
For more than 2000 for the gizmo alone that better have an onahole and turn into a catgirl.
>>
>>30455277
I reload several thousand rounds at a time nonstop so it is worth it for me
>>
File: book Krause_ABC_Reloading.jpg (208 KB, 800x1057) Image search: [Google]
book Krause_ABC_Reloading.jpg
208 KB, 800x1057
>>30448714
>Looking to get into reloading.

Step #1: buy this book.
>>
>>30455393
>totally not sponsored by Hornady edition
>>
>>30455416
>the largest and most comprehensive manufacturer of reloading components
>the only manufacturer that makes (almost) everything necessary to make ammunition
Seriously, Hornady (due to their partnership with/partial ownership of Hodgdon) makes everything but primers. Presses, dies, bullets, brass, powder, accessories, loaded ammo.
>>
>>30455980
>due to their partnership with/partial ownership of Hodgdon

(citation needed)
>>
File: Capture.png (59 KB, 776x222) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
59 KB, 776x222
>>30456046
Not sure about partial ownership (getting into the holding company shell game there) but they outright state they partnered together on CFE Pistol, Leverevolution, Superformance, and Hybrid 100V

Pic related.
>>
>>30456133
Not really evidence of collusion, plenty of companies partner up from time to time
>>
>>30456133
Don't make the claim if you don't know.
Partnering is a lot different than owning.

So Hornady doesn't make powder or primers. I agree that they make a lot of different products but there are other companies that do it better imo.
>>
>>30456326
True but to be honest I feel they represent the best middle, I mean sure, if price is no object I'd get an RCBS or a Dillon but they aren't proportionally better for the price.
>>
>>30456284
>need source on partnership
>yeah well that partnership doesn't count!
R U srs m8?

Also, literally no other bullet/brass manufacturer has ever partnered with a powder company before. Ever. Not Alliant, not VV, not Accurate, not Bofors, not Ramshot, nobody.

>>30456326
That wasn't me m8. I was merely confirming the partnership.
>>
>>30456370
I'm mainly disputing the partial ownership part of your post
>>
>>30456401
Nigger can you even fucking read?
"I'm not sure on partial ownership but they outright partner"
"yeah I'm gonna need a source on that"
"Ok, [source]"
"That doesn't count! Plenty of people do it!"
"OK"
"Still doesn't count, I was talking about the ownership that we haven't been discussing as if that's relevant to the partnership!"
>>
>>30456464
Oh, I'm not him, I thought you were the guy who said partnership/ partial ownership.

This whole thread is a mess.
>>
>>30456350
I don't see how. With mass produced bullets there are a tons of different plated manufacture which are much cheaper same can be said for brass. for precision Sierra makes better performance bullets for only a small amount more. As for progressive presses you can get a Dillon 550b for only $50 more than a Hornady L&L or a Lee progressive for less which is well worth the extra money.

>>30456464
You are arguing with two separate people and thinking they are one. It seems you are the one who is having a hard time reading. The original person claimed Hornady partially owned Hodgdon I was asking for proof of that not the fact that they are partners.
>>
>>30448714
>Any reason why I can't go straight to a progressive to save time?
None. I did it because I knew I would enjoy reloading and I needed to do higher volume stuff, so I got a Dillon 550 as my first plress. Works fine, no complaints.
>>
>>30456515
Not him but it seems you get a decent amount of features in the L&L that you'll need to upgrade to the 650 to get otherwise.
>>
File: caseconditioning11.jpg (22 KB, 600x245) Image search: [Google]
caseconditioning11.jpg
22 KB, 600x245
>>30448953
Get some trimming shit, pic related. Lee does them, just buy the shell holder (which goes in your drill) and the trimmer which shaves it down to size.

Not sure about thinning the rim, though.
>>
>>30456617
You really do.
>RL550b is manually indexed
>650XL won't fit ultramags or the longer old western calibers

That being said, the Dillon powder dropper is better than the Hornady.
>>
>>30456617
I could see that, but personally after working with Dillon I will never use another press company. Some due to how I like how they are set up but the majority being they have probably the best customer service I have ever encountered outside of NFCU. They have next day shipped parts to me for free, they ship same day, they can answer reloading questions on their hotline if you are stuck. Plus they have a lifetime warranty. To me that is worth the extra $200 for something you will have forever.
>>
>>30456515
Hornady makes good yet affordable hunting bullets. Pretty much nobody else does, you either have cheap shit from PPU or you have expensive good stuff from Nosler/Sierra/Barnes, with Hornady sitting right in the middle with the Interlock and Interbond (and for monolithics, the GMX is ~30% cheaper than the TTSX).

Sierra's aren't "only a small amount more", they're half again the price (7-10 cents more on a 20-25 cent bullet). If you want to use that argument, Bergers are "only a small amount more" than Sierras.
>>
>>30452997
>The thought of someone starting out reloading with a progressive for 223 is scary
That's retarded. Progressives don't do some sort of crazy magic, they just allow several things to happen at the same time. If someone can't follow what's going on, they have no business touching a reloading press, single stage or otherwise.
>>
>>30456715
With the amount I need to trim I decided to just use hose clamps to secure a dremal to a bit of wood. I really should get proper tools but in a way this is more fun.

Think I'm going to get a bit of wood drilled to fit the rim, use a dowel to support the case and and hold it down and use a bit of tubing with cutting teeth filed on with a ring made from a slightly larger bit of tubing as a stop.

Going to be a bear to tune but hey, if I can make it work maybe I could sell some jigs or make cases to sell.
>>
I just started last week on a Lee Value turret.

I started with 300 blk because it is my most expensive round. I loaded a couple of rounds and took it to range and it functioned fine. Question, now what? Do I bump up the load from the starting load? Do i wait till I shoot 500 rounds with this recipe before changing something? I need a roadmap.

Also, I know people take diligent notes and log everything but what am supposed to be logging?
>>
>>30456771
>Military pulls are non existing
>>
>>30455393
Step #1: download this book

I bought it. Haven't looked at it once after I read it the first time. Better just to torrent it and spend the money on components instead.
>>
>>30456809
Hello poorfag. How's that hunting or precision shooting going with your pulldown FMJ's? Gotten arrested by a game warden yet?
>>
>>30456829
>game warden giving a shit about fmj

Is this a thing in places?
>>
>>30456804
Are you happy with the accuracy? What do you want out of the round/what do you want it to do that it isn't currently doing?

Basically, what reason do you have to change anything from a known working load?
>>
>>30456853
Considering hunting with non-expanding ammo on large game is illegal in all 50 states (and banned for varminting/small game use in 30ish), yes.
>>
>>30456804
If it works fine don't mess with it.

People who devlop their own loads measure, accuracy, bullet drop, velocity and go from there.

If you aren't going to be doing that you don't really need to go through the trouble. Just stay safe and enjoy cheap cartridges
>>
>>30456804
If max accuracy is your goal, then start fucking with individual variables (eg. powder load and type, bullet weight, seating depth, etc.) and test them. It'll be quite some time, but eventually you'll find the combination that works best.

If you just want cheap ammo that is more or less accurate, and the starting load performs adequately, stick with that. No point using more powder than is needed for the job.

As for notes, I personally don't take them. I just write down the specs of a given batch of ammo, and how they perform on paper when I test it out. That way I can keep track of what works and what doesn't. It's not complicated.
>>
File: 20160626_112304.jpg (2 MB, 4032x2268) Image search: [Google]
20160626_112304.jpg
2 MB, 4032x2268
>>30456829
Complains about seirra and bergers being too expensive. But military pulls are below him.
Just fine actually have shot over 400 yards with some 147gr. .30 cal m2 pulls. anything more than that I use 168gr match kings.

SP pulls are also a thing bro
>>
>>30456893
Yes, but their availability is extremely limited and sporadic.
>147gr
>m2 pulls
m8....I seriously hope you mean M80, otherwise you got taken for a ride.
>>
>>30456893
They were talking about new manufacture components, obviously surplus is going to be cheaper but thats not really what is being discussed right now.
>>
>>30457019
>obviously surplus is going to be cheaper
That's...not always true. You can routinely find 155gr Barnes Matchburners new for cheaper than you can get M80 pulls, and you can get new Hornady Match 175's cheaper than you can get pulled M118LR SMK's most of the time.

And the last time I bought 55gr .224" FMJ's they were cheaper than pulldown M193's. Not sure if that's still true.
>>
>>30457014
Too right m8 my bad. I have never had a problem finding them.

>>30457019
It is what is being discussed and that is cost.
>>
>>30457057
You've never had a problem finding softpoint pulldowns?

Please share. Cuz the last batch I saw were the 90gr Speer .277's from the bad lot of 6.8SPC Fusion, and those've been gone over a year now.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160630-165044.png (2 MB, 1440x2560) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160630-165044.png
2 MB, 1440x2560
>>30457072
First result I found 20 seconds of looking
>>
>>30457113
>literally 10% more expensive than Interlocks new
I meant cheap ones, I suppose I should've specified.
>>
>>30457265
>16.4 cents a peice when you order 1k what is bulk discounting
>>
>>30457379
Nigga, interlocks also have bulk discounting. Just admit you're wrong, it happens.
>>
>>30457451
Where are you finding bulk factory Hornady interlocks the only come in 100 count boxes.
>>
>>30457494
Extreme Reloading, 2100 of them for $230 makes them 11cpr.

Do you even ammoseek/bunbot/brassbadger?
>>
>>30457529
>bunbot
GUNBOT. Fuck me I can't type for shit.
>>
>>30455300
is there anything that it has that can't be made at home? Seems a bit chintzy
>>
>>30456515
Lee a shit.
>>
>>30459255
Lee collet dies are god-tier.
>>
>>30456865
>using hollowpoints in warfare is illegal
>using fmj when hunting is illegal

Ain't shit weird?
>>
>>30459393
actually the US isn't bound to that.
>>
what is the minimum accuracy calipers one should get? Just getting into casting but don't have much cash.
>>
>>30459789
Most will resolve to 0.001", which is where you want to be. However, you want the error to be fairly close to that; cheap pieces of shit will have more variance in their readings.

This one seems to have decent reviews for relatively cheap
https://www.amazon.com/iGaging-ABSOLUTE-Electronic-Fraction-Protection/dp/B00KDUD67G?ie=UTF8&tag=caliper1-20
>>
>>30448714
You should probably get a turret press instead. It's miles faster than a single stage, but isn't that much of a loss when you figure out reloading kinda sucks. You'll need to work up an annealing system, too.
>>
>>30461350
>You'll need to work up an annealing system, too.
That's one of the last things he'd need to do. Annealing isn't exactly a top priority for a beginner. Shit, most reloaders don't even anneal, because it's tedious and takes effort to build a rig.
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
Can anyone I.D this round?even though it's not exactly reloading related...
>>
>>30462432
.50bmg, I assume, given that the case length is usually somewhere around 3.9", and the one in your pic looks to be around there.
>>
>>30448714

The only reason not to get a progressive right away is that you might be getting a little bit lost before you familiarize yourself with setting everything up and keeping track of all the operations that are being performed at once.
Other than that, if you're going to volume load, getting a single stage would be shooting yourself in the foot. I've done it and loading any worthwhile amount of ammo is absurdly time-consuming and tedious.
Like the others have said, a Lee turret press (the classic cast one) is a good compromise. You can get well over 200 rounds an hour out of it, but it's much easier to keep track of. Still, you're gonna be pulling that lever a shit ton with a turret. Can't beat a well set up progressive that drops a finished round with each stroke.
>>
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
>>30462508
Primer and stamp
>>
>>30462597
TZ is IMI's headstamp, so my guess would be some israeli .50 cal.
>>
>>30461350
>40s&w
>annealing
pick one

Seriously, you are going to take a long time to pay off an annealer, even a diy one. Annealing is only worth it for expensive rifle brass. basically anything you cant find at wallyworld.
>>
>>30462432
>>30462597
dude... seriously, that is like asking what a 9mm, 45, 223 or 30-06 is...

its a round of 50bmg...
>>
File: stupid teenagers.jpg (44 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
stupid teenagers.jpg
44 KB, 500x375
>>30456816

Yes, OP.

Don't bother getting the book, if you have any questions, just ask the 12 year olds here on 4chan....
>>
>>30462733
>"download the book" means don't bother getting the book
>implying you read the book when you don't have basic reading comprehension
>>
>>30462809
> read it once

"Welp, I totally know everything now!"

It's a reference book, designed to be referenced again and again, not a Danielle Steel novel you read once and toss away.
>>
>>30462898
>designed to be referenced again and again,
Not really. Once you know the concepts, you don't need to refresh your knowledge of how it works.

It might surprise you, but many people don't find reloading to be quite as complicated and mentally daunting as you must.
>>
File: don't need no book.jpg (69 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
don't need no book.jpg
69 KB, 600x400
>>30462956
>>
>>30463004
If you need to refer to a basic reloading guide every time you load, you shouldn't be anywhere near a press.
>>
>>30463004
Does it hurt being this retarded? I mean, you have to go about seeing others do simple tasks without fucking up severely and you have to retreat to your book or end up filling an entire case full of powder from sheer panic of not being told exactly what to do at all times.

Did your father beat you for being so slow? He should have done a bit more to teach you some basic social grace.
>>
>>30462898
>hurrr printud buks are sacred

Bullshit. I've read numerous reloading manuals and everything you'll find in the books you can see answered on the Internet better, in greater detail, in various contexts and with less flaws, myths and fuddlore. When a guy smuggles bullshit into a book, thousands of people will follow it without thinking and all you can hope for is that maybe it gets corrected in the next edition (then again maybe not). When someone says something similarly stupid on one of the reloading forums, there will be two dozen guys on his ass the very instant calling him out on it. When it comes down to questionable practices, a single online debate with seasoned reloaders brings more points of view, arguments and experience to the table than half a dozen manuals. It doesn't mean it's not useful to keep a number of manuals in digital form (if only for the loads), but if you think having twenty nearly identical 'reloading 101' almanacs put together by twenty reloading companies makes you an authority on anything, you can fuck right off.

>>30463004

What a shitty argument.
If you aren't mentally retarded and can adhere to exactly two basic rules, 1.) visually inspect the load before seating a bullet, and 2.) do not exceed the "do not exceed" loads (or fuck with the listed components without knowing what you're doing), you will never experience a catastrophic failure in your life. And if you will, you're too retarded to live anyway.
>>
>>30463087
>>30463092
>>30463119
kek you retards always take the b8, I don't even own a gun.
>>
File: ads.png (2 KB, 244x226) Image search: [Google]
ads.png
2 KB, 244x226
>>30463147
>>
I hear reloading is cheaper for even some common calibers.

Can someone explain though how even with uncommon calibers, it's still cheaper than buying mass-manufacture? It doesn't make any logical sense, worse case it's no more expensive on common calibers.
>>
>>30463166
it depends on what you define as cheaper, someone with enough dedication can get 9mm to 8-10 cpr but you have to account for just how many you have to reload to make up for the cost of the press, dies and your time if you are the kind of faggot that quantifies all your time as being money.
>>
>>30463166
>It doesn't make any logical sense
What exactly doesn't make logical sense?
>>
>>30463166
In syrupland, it's cheaper for all common calibers because all of our gun shit is jacked up like >30%.
>>
>>30463192
Mass manufacture, even something obscure, will have the better bulk-purchase and operations discounts, on top of the actual labor being automated.

Somehow, with a shitty starter setup, it's possible to crank out rounds for cheaper with smaller purchases even assuming above minimum wage.

It's like breaking out your own loom to make clothing from thread. It just shouldn't be cheaper.
>>
>>30463166
>how even with uncommon calibers, it's still cheaper than buying mass-manufacture?

...what? Obscure calibers are where you save the most.
Factories only make a handful of these rounds every year, because the demand for them is low. That means all the operating costs get spread out to a low round count, resulting in a very high end price regardless of the actual cost of the materials used.
If you load your own, you use one spent case many times, meaning the actual cost is negligible, a common primer and powder and a bullet that is likely to be interchangeable with some other rounds (or one that you cast yourself for pocket change).
>>
>>30463233
I guess I'm just not seeing where a low production count cranks up the actual manufacturing costs when the whole system is automated and you just have to switch out some dies and such.
>>
>>30463212
Several reasons:
-your labor is free in this calculation
-capital requirements are relatively low; you can get to reloading on a cheapo single stage with all necessary accoutrements for under $250
-you reuse your brass. That is a large portion of the cost of factory ammunition.

Finally, you need only to look at prices of components to see the cost savings. If you reload each round for 20 cents, whereas a box of factory ammo retails for 50 cents per round, then obviously there are either cost savings somewhere along the production process, or cost savings due to a lack of retail markup, or most likely,a combination of both. It's not exactly a mystery.

>>30463242
It adds cost because switching out dies takes up precious manufacturing time, in order to produce some moon ammo that will result in low sales volume. Also, obscure ammo retails for more because supply is limited.
>>
>>30463242
>you just have to switch out some dies and such

That is grossly understating the setup and testing process (yes, you have to verify that everything works 100.00% before you start packing ammo and shipping it off to customers unless you want things to get nasty). Also, the time spent setting shit up and then taking it down could have spent cranking out some more popular caliber without a stop, and you have to still pay all of the people while they're setting shit up even though you aren't making any ammo at the moment, then you make a couple of crates of the stuff and start stripping the assembly line down again. It's why .25 ACP costs about the same as decent brass cased .223, despite using a fifth of the materials.
>>
>>30463300
>>30463284
OK then, riddle me this, why is 9mm cheaper to reload?
Obscure/dead calibers, sure, even if it was cheaper for them to manufacture than it was they'd still charge a premium.

Yet I've heard of some stupid cheap 9mm reloads. I just can't imagine the cost of the brass undercutting the mass-manufacture savings.
>>
>>30463312
In many cases it isn't, unless you get all your components on discount, or cast your own bullets. You have to be a turbo-jew in order to compete with the cheapest of bulk factory ammo.
>>
>>30463312
>I just can't imagine the cost of the brass undercutting the mass-manufacture savings.

It's by far the most expensive and time consuming component of a 9mm round to manufacture.
The bullet is the runner-up, if you cast your own, then all you actually pay for is a little brass cup with a drop of priming compound in it, and like, four grains of powder, and your labor is free. Does it still surprise you it's cheaper?
>>
any recommended chronographs, by the way?
>>
>>30458927
Main advantage seems to be the fact it has variable clutch and will automatically stop if something goes sideways as with other motor drives it'll keep building up force and then eventually either break the press or jam it up really bad.
>>
>>30464448
prochrono with bluetooth adapter
labradar if you got the $$
Thread replies: 139
Thread images: 21

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.