[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey'a /k/, I'm looking for a new bolt-gun in .223
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: babies 1 and 2.png (1 MB, 996x561) Image search: [Google]
babies 1 and 2.png
1 MB, 996x561
Hey'a /k/, I'm looking for a new bolt-gun in .223 or 5.56. Long story short, I'm not a fan of AR's (I'm in New Jersey and we have to get compliance work, yes, before you say so, I am going to move out ASAP). I like bolt-action rifles, and I need a new bolt-action rifle that doesn't have very much kick in an affordable, intermediate caliber. I already own a Finnish Mosin M39, and I love it, but it's not a gun that many new shooters like and the .22LR rifle gets boring after a while. I take people shooting and teach them marksmanship as a casual hobby, and I'd like to give them something more fun to use at the outdoor range.

So far I've been looking at the Mossberg MVP Patrol as the best option since it has the added bonus of iron sights, but from what I hear, it's not exactly built to last. The fact that it takes AR magazines has supposedly led to inconsistency from manufacturer to manufacturer with feeding in a bolt gun. This neat article talks about the issues with economy bolt-action rifles.

http://www.chuckhawks.com/compared_bolt_action_economy_rifles.htm

What do you folks recommend? I was considering the CZ 527 in .223. I'd like something that's of decent quality, my budget's flexible (I can spend $300-$700 on the gun itself) but not too high, unless you point out something really excellent. Thank you!
>>
>>30448710
The CZ would work superbly, maybe consider a ruger gunsite scout in 5.56
>>
>>30448734
Thanks mate. They're getting harder and harder to find, though. Anybody have any other suggestions? I'd like to buy the rifle now, but I won't be back home from an out-of-state internship until mid-August, meaning I'll probably order it a bit before then.
>>
>>30448710
How about a Troy PAR?
>>
Weatherby Vanguard. Get something bigger than .223, that's a useless round, can't even hunt with it. .308 weatherby Vanguard
>>
>>30448956
Cool concept, but I'd rather my rifle wasn't obsolete functionally once I left New Jersey. Aesthetically pleasing would be nice, and a tacticool pump action gimmick might not be in that profile.
>>
>>30448974
Like I said, it's for shooting paper. How's 7.62x39 scale up in terms of recoil? I was thinking of an AK, but unfortunately in Jersey I'd need to weld a compensator on or neuter an otherwise nice gun, and I don't want to do that.
>>
>>30448974
Oh, and as mentioned before, I have an M39 in 7.62x54R. Kicks like a mule, groups beautifully, ultra-reliable, definitely my favorite gun. But the kick is too much for a lot of folks.
>>
>>30448710
CZ 527 is great. Only downside is being finicky with optics mounting. Vanguard/Howa 1500 would probably be a good choice as well.

.223 is a lot of fun out of a bolt gun. You can move a beginner to it quite quickly, but is still plenty of fun for a seasoned shooter. Plus there's no shortage of ammo options.
>>
>>30449087
Thanks for the thoughts. How is the 527 finicky with optics mounting, particularly the Carbine model?

Also, while I'm aware of the Weatherby Vanguard, how's the Howa 1500? It hasn't shown up in any of my searches and hasn't been mentioned until your suggestion. It appears to be Howa's budget line of bolt action rifles, with no frills, sort of like a Savage Axis.
>>
>>30448710
Mossberg MVP are roughly in that budget limit.
>>
Tikka T3x
>>
>>30448974
Is 5.56×45mm NATO stronger because of the higher pressures? Why does the US army/Nato use that chambering?

Surely there must be cartridges you can take deer with?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.