[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did /k/ think about this movie?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7
File: Lone-Survivor-UK-Quad-Poster.jpg (206 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Lone-Survivor-UK-Quad-Poster.jpg
206 KB, 1024x768
What did /k/ think about this movie?
>>
>>30446684
Shit
>>
>>30446684
Good
>>
>>30446684
You think if they had some kind of long range precision weapon they could have killed that inbred terrorist at the start of the movie?
>>
>>30446684
It was a good movie. I enjoyed watching the film. The events around it, bug me a bit, but the movie was good.
>>
>>30446778
What events anon? Tbh I didn't even know this happened till the movie came out
>>
>>30446684
>mark wahlberg
what?
>>
>>30446722
iirc he was something like 300m away which is well within the range of the mk12 one of them had
>>
>>30446995
They didn't have comms so wtf would they have done when they killed him
>>
I'm watching it on FXX right now too, OP.
>>
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 564x447) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 564x447
Vietnam fucking shits...
>>
>>30446834
Events? They fucked up and put four guys on a recon gig in extreme danger with failed communications. When they had to whip out a cellphone to call for help they then fucked up the rescue and got 20-something more guys killed on top of that.
The film is creepy and borderline propaganda because the final 30mins are all fiction. It's disrespectful to those who were there. A lot of other guys participated in that search.
Marcus only lived because these villagers had a tradition of treating people with respect and were loyal to their village code more than jihad extremist bs. They kept him hidden with food and water (from a shit stained bottle) for like a week in and around their village. No big heroic firefight. That's the events.
>>
>be MAAAAAAAAAHHHHK
>in the middle of nowhere in the middle east
>oper8ing
>can't kill some kid who is obviously gonna rat you out because muh rulez of engagement
>all your friends die
>you almost die

pretty ridiculous premise. any real oper8r would have sicario'd that pleb and finished the op
>>
>>30446684
It was gay as fuck, like the majority of media out of clapistan.
>>
>>30447277
Or at least bound him properly
>>
>>30447277
>continue OP
>still 4 men vs the town
it was a death trap anyway
>>
File: funnydance.gif (499 KB, 260x146) Image search: [Google]
funnydance.gif
499 KB, 260x146
>>30446684
i liked it, at least luttrell aint a fucking 'tall tale' teller like chris kyle.

all in all the best out of the whole 'navy seal' circle jerk of movies in the last 5-7 years
>>
>>30447709
>i liked it, at least luttrell aint a fucking 'tall tale' teller like chris kyle.
Ehhh, that's kind of debatable. There's A LOT of information surrounding that operation that's a little funny. Even JSOC's investigation said as much.
>>
>>30447709
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Red_Wings#Disputed_information
>>
>>30447032
run
>>
Pretty entertaining with some nice SPR action. The equipment/rifles were realistic for the first time since hollywood.

They kinda skirted around the fact that those SEALs got #rekd by 8-12 kids with dug-up AKs and a PKM, though.
>>
>>30446684

As ex-Army I couldn't stand the movie, way too Hollywooded up, the "making of" stressed realism, even bringing in the actual survivor and all.

Shit. Watch only if you're in the mood for Universal Soldier and Terminator type movies.
>>
>>30446684
Did anyone read the book
>>
>>30449600
Still had laser sounds for silencers
>>
>>30449667
>Watch only if you're in the mood for Universal Soldier and Terminator type movies.

Do consider Lone Survivor forgetable b-grade no brain action movie or a masterpiece that is on regular basis ranked one most inlfuential movies in history of cinema? A movie that manages deal with deep philosophical concepts while being low budget scifi horror action film full of one liners.
>>
>>30446684
Haven't read the book, but the movie was too retarded for me to like it.

Why let the boy go, who can run down to tell the others quickly? Why not tie up the young boys and let the old man go, who will presumably take much longer to get down? Also, why go back exactly the way you came? Also, with a head start, why are the sand niggers catching up to Seals, who are presumably the best conditioned soldiers in the world? Why didn't they just start running back immediately?

Nope, let's hide behind a few rocks and trees and wait for dozens of sand niggers to come start shooting at us. KEK

See where I am going with this?

They were so retarded it was just infuriating.
>>
>>30447277
>any real operator would have killed the shepherds

Hey retard, you are aware that this shit actually happened, right? If you read the book, at least 1 of them was okay with icing the shepherds, maybe 2 of them. But they ultimately did not because they were afraid of the Taliban using it as propaganda/it was getting to the time of day that the shepherds would shortly be missed by their families if they did not return/they were afraid of getting court martialed for murdering unarmed people, which is something you should be deeply concerned about given how many liberals have invaded the armed forces, especially the JAG corps.
>>
>>30449707
Book made the movie look like shit.

I hated the self-aggrandizing way in which he wrote the book. Still an interesting read though.
>>
>>30447259

And when a villager contradicted the Hollywood version of events, Luttrell had the chutzpah to call him a liar.
>>
>>30451214
>afraid of killing unarmed people because of liberals
Yeah! Damn those liberals, with their morals and all! Fuck them for not supporting your decision to shoot 3 unarmed people!
>>
Watching this movie had something come to mind. They had to make a choice between killing them (including tying them up to inevitably die) or letting them go. Why don't soldiers or a person in a squadron carry some kind of gas/liquid than can render people unconscious? I dont know much about what they carry or allowed to carry but that seems like it would be useful. That way they wouldn't have to tie them up, but they could leave the area and they could wake up long before they are eaten by wolves, die of dehydration, etc.
>>
File: 1464242050811.jpg (87 KB, 645x773) Image search: [Google]
1464242050811.jpg
87 KB, 645x773
That ending was such a cheap shot but it made me tear up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMJiEo10qHw
>>
>>30451272
Can you elaborate on this? I'm interested. The end-credits made him seem like best buds with the village elder
>>
>>30451299
They had reasonable doubt to believe they were affiliated with the terrorists based on what they had on them. To most people armed/unarmed doesnt matter as much as intent.
>>
>>30451302

http://www.westernjournalism.com/afghan-man-who-helped-former-navy-seal-marcus-luttrell-contradicts-love-survivor-account/

turns out luttrell had his lawyer call him a liar
>>
>>30451300
>Why don't soldiers or a person in a squadron carry some kind of gas/liquid than can render people unconscious?

I have said this in multiple threads back when the movie first came out. Marcus, being the team medic should have sedated the villagers with morphine then get everyone to get the fuck out of the area.

But to my knowledge, Marcus didn't bring much medical equipment and quarterbacking this shit especially when you weren't there making the decisions is always 20/20 in hindsight. Just an all around fucked up situation.
>>
>>30451300
You raise a good question, but I think "non lethal neutralization" isn't as viable IRL as it is in a video game like metal gear solid. You might be interested to hear that the military is developing a system (mounted on a humvee or mrap) that directs heat somehow at people for crowd control. It doesn't hurt you and doesn't kill but causes enough discomfort that you feel compelled to move.
>>
Why didn't they just tie them up?

Not on a tree, but together. Sure they can move but not parkour down the mountain.
>>
>>30451309
>terrorists

The target of the raid was ratted out for hard cold cash as a "taliban member" when all he did was to refuse to collaborate with the invaders.

Forget about the kid, even the target of this assassination mission was hardly a "terrorist".

The irony here is the guy ended up joining the taliban after Red Wings because he feared American revenge.
>>
>>30451338
>expects intelligent decision-making from SEALs

topkek
>>
>>30451339
We have a tendency to create our own worst enemies.
Also, get ready for red-blooded patriots to start calling you a "commie muslim unamerican liberal" for saying all this.
>>
>>30451346
Yea.

If you want smart, read Army SF stuff. Good luck finding much though because they aren't complete braggarts.
>>
File: 1466000821619.jpg (110 KB, 720x524) Image search: [Google]
1466000821619.jpg
110 KB, 720x524
>>30451318
Its a microwave concept it boils the h2o in their bodies (heats them up till they dont wanna fight )
>>
>>30451368
I think the guy who founded Delta literally wrote a book about it.
>>
File: 1385868061897.jpg (67 KB, 317x379) Image search: [Google]
1385868061897.jpg
67 KB, 317x379
>>30451563
Wrote a book on SEALs being ostentacious pricks and SF being quiet professionals?

>tfw had a temp slot reserved for 18xray contract, score perfect on AFQT when self tested, but heart beat was too fast at MEPS. DQed.
>>
I see all these people asking what could they have done to stop the goat herders.

They were on the side of a mountain right? Or a really steep hill?

Pick them up and throw them down the mountain, they die of natural causes
>>
>>30451603
>things that happened in a dream

Get off the couch romeo and wipe that cheeto dust from your double chin, your walmart shift starts in an hour
>>
>>30446722
they were recon detail: scout the area, mark shit &ppl and git out.

>>30446684
pirdy good. hollywooded up, naturaly; dozen/2 dozen guys turned into 200, mistakes and stupid decisions were downplayed- all to emplify the "Murica" sntimate, but it wasn't to blatent. Great filming, great acting, great action.
*speling is shit, idgaf
>>
>>30451338
Because if you do something to someone, you become responsible for their fate. What if they stumble into a bear or a rival clan on their way down? Even if these shepherds actually existed, there was no reasonable thing to do about them other than just say "whelp, we're compromised, try again later". Say goodbye to your new friends and gtfo.
>>
File: LoneSurvivorRangeFinder.png (633 KB, 751x533) Image search: [Google]
LoneSurvivorRangeFinder.png
633 KB, 751x533
>>30446722
>>30446995
600-700 meters apparently. But I don't recall if Luttrell gave an exact number in the book.
>>
>>30446684
PREVIEW MAKES IT LOOK LIKE SHIT
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.