[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I purchased a bow recently and plan to spend the next few months
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (35 KB, 443x332) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
35 KB, 443x332
I purchased a bow recently and plan to spend the next few months practicing with it so I'm ready to hunt when the cooler weather hits.

I've only got a 45lb bow, but I'm thinking that will be sufficient for boars. What weight arrow should I be looking at?

Also, I'm planning on stalking. Shooting from a blind doesn't interest me. Any recommendations on books that will help me understanding tracks and signs? I'm Australian, but books for tracking in other countries should be fine right?

Lastly, what's the best way to understand animal anatomy for hunting? I'm starting off with pigs but I'm going after deer when I get the chance
>>
>>28317814
(Disclaimer: I shoot compound and also don't hunt pigs)

I'd be leery of hunting pigs with a 45# trad bow (which I'm assuming your's is). Shot placement on pigs is different to deer and on bigger pigs with a "shield" is much less forgiving - you'll either need a bow and arrow set up to deliver enough momentum to punch through or take quartering away shots.

If your bow is a trad bow, you'll need to get very close to make those shots (especially as a new archer), which, with pigs, opens you up to getting charged. My brother knows a bunch of guys who bow hunt pigs and apparently it's not unusual to go out in pairs - one with a bow, one with a rifle for stopping if things go south.

If you're set on hunting pigs with a 45# trad bow, I'd go heavy arrows, definitely upwards of 500 grains. Might even be a good idea to go full Ashby on this one, building an arrow with 19%+ FOC with a heavy single-bevel two blade broad head. I'd get a small diameter shaft in something like a 400, 340 or 300 and add point weight until it spines out well for your bow.
>>
>>28318142
>>28318142
Cheers mate. I own a compound.

I'm aware of the boar shield and have done a little research on the internals of a pig.

And yeah. I've been charged by a boar before. Though I'd be brave and stand my ground. He was about 6 inches from the tip of my gun when I squeezed one off - click. In the excitement the bolt had lifted slightly. But the barrel to his face, and then to his ribs when he had been shot scared him off. Definitely not gonna take the 220 swift out for pigs again. It's only a little projectile haha.

Being Australian I cannot bring a pistol with me for a back up weapon. I'm trying to decide between a knife and a small hatchet as personal protection for any future charging boars.
>>
>>28318378
45# is kind of an odd weight for a hunting compound, which is why I assumed trad. What bow have you got? (Also, what's its max peak weight/range of adjustment/IBO speed/your draw length?)

The same principles apply building an arrow for penetration with a compound, but depending on your bow you'll need a stiffer spined arrow than a trad bow so you'll either need more spine or less point weight, which can make getting a higher FOC a bit trickier. Unless your 45# compound is goddamn fast though, I'd be a bit hesitant to take it after pigs to be honest.

Speaking from a position of ignorance, I'd probably take a mate with a gun over a knife or a hatchet.
>>
>>28318687
It's just a cheaply red zone something or rather. It's 45 lb at 29 inch draw, not sure of speed. It was a purchase just to get me started. I'll probably be purchasing a new bow early in the new year, something around 60 lbs or higher. I work in various places around the country and often get good hunting spots so I want something big for when I start again

I'm fine with hunting alone. Boars don't worry me too much. But next year I'm heading to buffalo country so maybe I'll bring a mate with a big gun haha
>>
>>28318907
In all seriousness mate, don't go after boars with a 45# redzone. I know the kind of bow (I've owned one, 55#). IBO speed is well below 300fps, usually mid 200s, often actually slower than a recurve of the same draw weight. At 45#/29" you won't be generating anywhere near enough momentum whatever weight arrow you use (even arguably for goats). All asian-made, including Apex Hunting, tends to be a bad idea. A lot of people (including me and my brother) fall into that trap when they get started.

My best advice would be to basically just sell it and put the cash towards something like a PSE stinger X or martin krypton if you're looking to keep the price low. You'll enjoy shooting a lot more and the bow will perform a lot better (like infinitely). Also, 60-70# with a 315 fps IBO (with the right arrows) should actually give you decent penetration on game.
>>
>>28319114
Rights. I'll keep this bow just for learning. I'm not too concerned about price for my next bow. I'll be looking around the 800 to 1000 mark. Quality saves money in the long run. Guess I'll just shoot rabbits and foxes with this bow.
>>
>>28319134
At that price point you can do way better than the stinger or krypton. Awesome bows start there.
>>
>>28319244
Sweet. I just want something I can take British game with. Donkeys, camels maybe buffalo. I'd like to go after wild horses but would need to check the laws.

Could you recommend a book on tracking and animal anatomy? I've worked as a slaughterman so I know the insides of sheep really well, he'll I could probably just kill something and study the insides.
>>
>>28319286
Big-ish not British haha
>>
File: TN1011J.jpg (71 KB, 400x600) Image search: [Google]
TN1011J.jpg
71 KB, 400x600
>>28317814
>I've only got a 45lb bow, but I'm thinking that will be sufficient for boars.

You are thinking wrong. Very wrong.

Now I don't know shit about modern compound bows, but we're using 80 pound crossbows in St Huebert's Rangers on average. For boar, this is good... For getting their attention.

Use this information as you will.
>>
>>28318378
knife and hatchet are pretty shit against boars
you are better off trying to fend it
boars usually charge once and fugg off if they can't kill you the fist pass at least in all the vids i seen they done so
now to stop a charging boar from harming you you need to be aware it's speed and how it attacks
and maybe practice with young boars to build up a resistance to larger boars
>>
>>28319318
45 lbs is more than enough for a pass thru at the hearth if you do it right. the problem is you have to take the shot mid step otherwise the boars leg gonna be in the way.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.