[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/, I spend large amounts of time out innawoods (pic related),
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5
File: Fatty up Hunter Crk.jpg (1 MB, 1936x2592) Image search: [Google]
Fatty up Hunter Crk.jpg
1 MB, 1936x2592
Hey /k/,
I spend large amounts of time out innawoods (pic related), by myself, and usually travel far distances from civilization. After reading recent reports of mountain lion sightings, it dawned on me that I really need to protect myself. I don't not think I'm being overly paranoid, but when you're out alone you're exposing yourself to all kinds of risks, and I think it best to be adequately protected. I would by no means say that I'm a very large person, "Russian tanker" size would describe me best, so I certainly don't think I could win a fight with a lion, a bear, or any large predator for that matter.

I don't know shit when it comes to handguns, but my question is what gun is lightweight, low maintenance, but still packs a punch? I would most likely be using a shoulder holster as I almost always use some form of pack and utilizing hip straps is a must, not that this should effect the firearm in anyway.
I'm open to any suggestions, but preferably nothing too expensive.

Thanks /k/
>>
>>28317650
Your size doesn't matter. A grizzly will kill a 6'5 bodybuilder just as dead as a 4 foot tall girlscout. The only difference is that the bodybuilder will be a larger, more hearty meal. Unless you can kill the bear by sticking your arm down its throat, which was a one time thing to be fair.

>Lightweight, low maintenance, packs a bunch
A big suggestion in Alaska and for hiking in general is either a rifle chambered in 30-06 or higher or a handgun such as a 44 magnum. Sure, a .40 might kill a moose just as dead, but let's assume you won't have much time to dump a magazine into a grizzly when it's charging you.

If you don't mind carrying with a strap, an AK pistol still keeps almost as much energy as a full sized rifle, but is a bit more difficult to aim and control. You could put a sig brace on it or something. I doubt the bear would call the ATF, not that I'm suggesting you ever shoulder it, that would be illegal anon. :^)

So best options are:
300WM (or 30-06) rifle probably strapped over back
44 magnum carried how you please
AK pistol carried how you please
>>
>>28317716
Also, for mountain lions, bears, whatever, the best option is being able to identify fresh bear tracks, using common sense, and keeping your distance. No running from bears, they can outrun you. Don't climb a tree unless you can basically do a 30ft vertical leap. Stand your ground, because most bear charges are bluffs. For mountain lions, don't run, raise your voice loud and low, and get ready to shoot it. Be aware of fresh tracks, and don't have food or any sort of smell that might attract either species.
>>
>>28317650
Don't worry about mountain lions. They know where you are long before you will know they are around. They almost always avoid people, and if it wants you dead it will ambush you. You won't have a chance to pull a gun.
>>
>>28317716
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm looking for something smaller and more humble than a rife. I think a 44 sounds really appealing.

>>28317749
I know the tracks of both animals, and the proper procedure (for both black bears and grizzly) when you encounter each.

>>28318186
While a mnt lion could easily stalk and pounce on me, ripping my throat out in about 3 seconds, that is very rare. You've clearly never encountered one before.
>>
>>28318211
You were the one worried about them not me. I have seen only three in my life. I'm more worried about breaking a leg than I am about lions.
>>
>>28318261
Well the bottom line is I cam here about firearms, not to discuss the behavior of mountain lions. Thanks for your input, anon!! Really helping me narrow down my choices.
>>
For cats, yotes, black bears, and assholes either a .45 ACP or .357 mag will do.
>>
File: DSCN7752 (Large).jpg (214 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
DSCN7752 (Large).jpg
214 KB, 1440x1080
>what gun is lightweight, low maintenance, but still packs a punch?
Glock 29
I don't see Mountain Lions but lots of Wolves and Bears.
>>
>>28317650
If I were worried about bear, the bigger the better. .357 mag, 44 mag both have great stopping power and penetration. I would stick with a revolver. Point and pull, and should do better in cold climates
>>
Glock, 10mm, hunting rounds. Lowest maintrnance, large capacity, and quite killy. Just remember, if you don't train with it, you probably will get yourself killed, so get some trigger time.
>>
File: DSCN9141.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9141.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>28318329
Here's bear poop
>>
File: DSCN9137.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
DSCN9137.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
>>28318403
And the baby bear poop a few feet away.
>>
File: 400px-RugerRedhawk.jpg (21 KB, 400x218) Image search: [Google]
400px-RugerRedhawk.jpg
21 KB, 400x218
>>28317650

I fortunate to inherit an early 80's vintage 5 and a half inch Ruger Redhawk complete with 80's Mag-Na-Port cuts in the barrel. (Sad thing is that my poor uncle had to die of cancer for me to get it.)

He was super outdoorsman and carried it when we used to go up innawoods as bear medicine.

Thing is built like a tank and pretty accurate even with the heaviest wrist breaker hot loads.Only disadvantage is that it is a heavy fucker.

Keep an eye out as you can often pick up 2nd hand models at a reasonable price.
>>
>>28317650
is that Johnson Pass Trail?
>>
>>28318329
>>28318403
>>28318421
gonna post more webms of your ventures out in Juneau?
>>
>>28318829
Yes, yes I am.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.