[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why would an S-3 Viking fly over my sleepy Midwestern college
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 2100x1500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 2100x1500
Why would an S-3 Viking fly over my sleepy Midwestern college town?
Like not just fly over but it was low and circled the town.
My town is very far away from any naval air station so even if they were still in service and not sold off to other countries it would still be rare to see.
And yes I'm certain it was an S-3.
>>
It was most likely on ASW patrols
>>
>>30442485
In Ohio?
They were retired a few years back either way
>>
Ever heard of ferry flights? Training flights? They probably saw something and circled. I used to circle the waterpark in Kansas City in an Apache every time we flew out there
>>
>>30442508
That makes sense but I was under the impression that pretty much all of ours were in mothballs.
Pretty much one of the last aircraft I'd expect to see flying over my area.

Must have just gotten very lucky
>>
>>30442535
NASA still has one, I wouldn't be surprised if the navy reserve still used them conus too.
>>
>>30442548
Spotting the NASA one would be a pretty rare sight, that seems most likely unless we are getting serious about bringing them back into service, which would also be noteworthy
>>
>>30442625
>unless we are getting serious about bringing them back into service

Yeah, not like they're building the SLS to take us to Mars right now or anything
>>
>>30442625
I do like the idea of fixed-wing ASW being native to carrier decks. Maybe if China actually gets serious about building SSNs we'll see another Viking equivalent in 20 years.
>>
>>30442476
I heard lockheed was refurbishing them for South Korea, so a test flight probably
>>
>>30443140
That sounds like a damn good and smart idea. If they're not running carrier deck flight ops with them, those remaining airframe hours will go a hell of a lot longer. Saves South Korea a good bit of money on P-3/P-8 ops for closer shore ASW patrols.
>>
>>30442485
>>30442494
>ASW
>Ohio
maybe they took ohio a little too literally?
>>
>>30443410
>maybe they took ohio a little too literally?
Hu. I was born in Cincinnati and I'd forgotten that the word actually meant "big river". Cheers mate. Every now and then /k/ actually teaches something.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.