[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Stun guns
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 31ypaeqVfaL.jpg (13 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
31ypaeqVfaL.jpg
13 KB, 500x375
Hey /k/

I don't see much discussion about stun guns around here, but I'm looking at getting one and would like some advice. I have my EDC knife and CC handgun, but an incident I had the other day with someone I knew has made me feel like I also need to carry a non-lethal option of self defense for when I don't quite feel legally justified to threaten with deadly means, but there's enough of a threat to warrant physical action to create space.

Anyway, looking toward compact stun guns, and most google results come up with the VTS 880 as the best choice, but I'm a little surprised by how cheap they are, and wonder if that's really a quality product.
>>
The one argument I've heard against those prod type ones is that it could be mistaken for a knife and get you counter spanked.
>>
>>30434728
Counter-shanked
Fucking autocorrect
>>
>>30434590
look into pepper spray. Most of the so called stun guns are effectively contact weapons.
>>
From what I've seen at stores and gun shows, they all seem to be pretty affordable ($20-50), though they only rely on pain to make the guy submit, and require you to be within his reach.

Definitely would be a good idea to get some empty handed skills. Boxing, jiu jitsu, etc
>>
>>30434801

Definitely this. Stun guns are a pain compliance tool, and not necessarily better than any other. If you want a good electrical discharge weapon you need to get a Taser brand taser. Otherwise just go with a pocket stick, knuckle tool, etc.
>>
>>30434590
Stunguns are worthless toys and the idea of pulling a weapon(besides OC spray) in a "nonlethal altercation" is dumb.

What is a "nonlethal altercation " anyways? Any time a person attempts to assault you there is a chance you could be crippled or killed, If some violent asshole tries to hurt you do the world a favor and remove him from the gene pool.
>>
Stun guns are pretty much just for intimidation as they don't do anything to put someone out of a fight other than make a scary sound and light show and hurt on contact. Probably sufficient to dissuade a belligerent dudebro but a stream-type pepper spray is going to end a confrontation much more reliably at a greater range.
>>
File: BearMace.jpg (563 KB, 2384x2384) Image search: [Google]
BearMace.jpg
563 KB, 2384x2384
>>30434590
Just carry a can of longspray Bear Mace (preferably with a handle) with you instead; no batteries to worry about, and much more effective

Fits easily in the pocket, too
>>
>>30434829
All the tasers I've seen are in the $300-400 range. is there any other brand that makes a quality product? Any deals out there?

The best less-lethal weapon IMO would be a small can of OC spray. Gives you some distance, relies on chemical reaction instead of pain compliance, and only cost like $5 for a can of Sabre Red
>>
I wouldnt recommend a stun gun. I knew a girl who's father gave her one, and she carried it for self defense. We were hanging out, and she asked me to shock her with it for shits and giggles. It was loud as hell, and the shock gave her a little jump, but it came nowhere close to incapacitating this 110 lb girl.
>>
File: 20150820_040948.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20150820_040948.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>30436763
This, the cartoon tier myth that these are made to knock you out is dead wrong. It's only pain compliance, it burns really bad and is really loud. That's it. At least with a real taser like an X26 you actually get immobilization, but as soon as the current stops it is over. OC is your best bet if you can't carry a real X26 Taser. I carry a taser for work every day and have used it on multiple uncooperative subjects with and without the dart cartridge. It's about 65% effective at any compliance. Nothing takes a person out of the fight faster than a mouth and face full of good OC.
>>
>>30434590
Can you buy a ranged tazer as a civilian?
>>
>>30438857
yes. They're not federally regulated, although there may be local/state laws so check that
>>
OC will put someone down a lot better than a stun gun, or even a proper TASER. Been TASERed, and OCed, and trust me OC is far more effective for disabling an attacker.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.