[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Crazy idea for a gun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9
File: crazy gun concept.png (721 KB, 2700x2400) Image search: [Google]
crazy gun concept.png
721 KB, 2700x2400
Alright /k/, I am by no means a gun expert, so bear with me, but I've been thinking about this idea I had for a new assault rifle design. The crux of the firing cycle is as follows:

>first, a magazine is inserted into the gun
>the user charges the gun by rotating the rotating chamber counter-clockwise (relative to the left side of the gun)
>the rotating chamber will cock the bolt via a rack-and-pinion gear
>the rotating chamber will also pull up on the chamber loader via a spring
>the chamber loader will push a caseless ammunition cartridge into the chamber, which is now positioned such that the cartridge can slide into the now-vertical chamber
>the user releases the rotating chamber, causing it to spring back into the firing position, with the cartridge positioned horizontally
>the user now pulls the trigger, releasing the bolt
>the bolt ignites the caseless ammunition, firing the bullet
>the expanding gas proceeds down the barrel, and into the gas chamber
>the expanding gas presses against the piston inside of the gas chamber, rotating the rotating chamber as well as cocking the bold via the same rack-and-pinion gear
>the cycle continues automatically so long as the trigger remains depressed

So, it's probably a crazy idea, but I wanted to see If its feasible or even practical at all. I want to hear your criticisms and/or insights.
>>
>>30424627
40k/10

Rotating chambers aren't a new thing.
>>
>>30424627
Kraut space magic? Got it, kraut space magic ben dun befo
>>
File: image.jpg (51 KB, 556x298) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51 KB, 556x298
>>30424627
Call me lazy OP I don't care.
>>
Ejection port?
>>
>>30424651
Yeah, the G11 was probably my inspiration, but fuck me, I can't get my head around the workings of a m16, let alone kraut space magic firearms.
>>
>>30424627
what would this gun be chambered in?
how do you field strip it?
what kind of steel would be used to manufacture it?
is the barrel chrome lined?
>>
i would ask the reasoning for this system. the magazine/ ammo orientation is what complicates things, and theres no reason for it.
your mag doesnt seem like it holds any more ammo than a conventional vertical box mag, and while it certainly cuts down on the profile bulk, it greatly adds a layer of complexity with the rotating chamber.
>>
>>30424690
Can..can you put that in layman's terms?
>>
>>30424708
It's in layman's terms
Google is your friend
>>
>>30424678
>caseless ammunition
>>
>>30424678
Why would you need one if it's using caseless ammunition?
>>
>>30424708
What bullet?

How do you take it apart?

What materials would it be made of?

Ignore the chrome line thing. Doesn't matter at this stage.
>>
>>30424708
How big is the bullet?
How do you open the gun if it breaks?
How strong/heavy or weak/light is the steel, if any?
Is the barrel reinforced do it doesn't break?
>>
>>30424708
im sorry dude, i cant, you really should read up on gun manufacturing, if you want to design a gun. you need to know what type of steel the barrel will be, if the frame will be steel or aluminum, you need to know what kind of bullet it will accept. if you dont know any of this then you should reconsider designing guns.
>>
>>30424627
i know no one can do this now but if some one could animate how the gun operates so i could see how it works then that'd be great.
>>
>>30424690
>>30424733
>>30424746

>4.73×33mm caseless ammunition
>shit, uh.. with a screwdriver I guess.. I didn't think of that
>Crap.. normal gun steel.. I guess
>Sure, throw in some chrome
>>
>>30424689
>I can't get my head around the workings of a m16

Bolt carrier has channels cut on the inside.

Gas goes through the gas tube and into those channels, with excess spitting out the ejection port side. This pretty much makes the BCG double as a gas piston.

True direct impingement would simply have the gasses impact on the face of the bolt to push it back. Stoner wanted a gun whose recoil was inline with the bore axis, so he redirected the gasses through the bolt carrier to keep the impact of the gas and the BCG level with that of the barrel's center axis.
>>
I got an idea.

A stealth UAV with a powerful IR laser.

What it does is fly into countries. Fly into thunderstorms over sensitive areas. Then it shines the laser on targets. The laser creates an ionized channel of air. Which serves as path of least resistance for electrical charges in the clouds. So you can make lightning strike anything you want.
>>
>>30424884
Better yet; strap a second electrolaser and now you can induce a current at will without the need of a thundercloud.
>>
>>30424906
missing the point.

this is a plausible deniability weapon.
>>
>>30424927
unless your uav gets struck by lightning and goes down
>the irony
>>
>>30424824
>>shit, uh.. with a screwdriver I guess.. I didn't think of that
>>Crap.. normal gun steel.. I guess
>>Sure, throw in some chrome

stop right there, are you telling me you dont know that it is a NATO regulation that a firearm must be able to be field stripped with out any tools?

are you telling me you dont know the difference between rugged carpenters steel and dirt cheap useless stainless steel?

are you telling me that you dont realize that the difference between a non chrome and a chrome lined barrel could mean the difference between your barrel disintegrating or not?

you dont know shit about how to make a firearm much less design one, the grip isn't even ergonomic and thats a sorry excuse of a butt stock. Get the fuck off my board.
>>
>>30424627
Right now, try to imitate the way you would operate this thing. Then, try to imitate how you would operate a traditional rifle.

Make the magazine verticle and put a straight pull charging handle. Instantly fix most of the user friendliness issues.
>>
>>30424960
Lightning protection bro. It exists.
>>
>>30424968
summer fags are out that's op also at least we got a nice 40 k looking gun
>>
>>30424998
Also, instead of whatever pretty boy fuckfuck caliber you got, make it either .45ACP, 12.7x99mm, or .45ACPx99mm.
>>
>>30424968
Damn, if you had said that to our lord and savior John Browning, he may have gotten discouraged to the point of never making guns again.

Don't listen to this faggot, OP. Just do some more research and slowly improve your design, one day hopefully making a prototype. If this is really your dream, you can make it happen.
>>
>>30425035
Yes, .45ACPx99mm. The whole god damn round snugged into a necked 99mm long shell. For science.
>>
>>30424960
>>30425025
lighting strikes airplanes all the time with basically no damage. lightning goes around airplanes in flight.
>>
>>30424627
its a very nice design OP, i like the DI gas system seems very sturdy

>>30424968
calm the fuck down man, its probably his first design and hes just trying to show his creativity. and BTW, this isn't your board, its hiroshimoot's board.
>>
>>30424627
you should send this to kel-tec
>>
>>30425041
Thanks, anon. I will do my due diligence and make /k/ proud. Until then, as I think of a superior design, I have but one last question; is caseless ammunition a shit concept? Or does it have any benefit or superiority?
>>
>>30425094
i guess the only real benefit is you dont have to worry about bullet tips accidentally setting of primers.
>>
>>30424726
>>30424719
There's actually a piece of plastic that needs to be ejected if I recall correctly
>>
APFSDS 12ga 3 inch shells.
>>
>>30425121
Hm. I thought that was just vaporised instantly, or at least shot out of the barrel with the bullet.
>>
File: 1466550900915.png (2 MB, 2560x1440) Image search: [Google]
1466550900915.png
2 MB, 2560x1440
>>30424968
"""""my""""" board
>>
File: she's perfect.jpg (731 KB, 1689x758) Image search: [Google]
she's perfect.jpg
731 KB, 1689x758
>>30424689

The carrier on the AR-15 is a cylinder for a piston.

The bolt is the piston, it has a "cam pin" that makes it rotate when it moves forward and backward. It rotates just enough the lugs move out of the way of the lugs on the barrel extension for locking and unlocking.

The "gas key" on the bolt carrier group (bolt + carrier) pipes gas into the cylinder (carrier) and forces the piston (bolt) to push outward and rotate via the "cam pin".

Excess gas is vented out of the side of the carrier when the bolt is extended fully.
The act of extending the bolt fully forces teh carrier backward away from the piston, and the momentum yanks the bolt backward and the recoiling process begins.
>>
>>30425094
If you are the prophetic bringer of usable caseless ammunition design, then it is a fantastic concept. As of right now, its kind of worthless because we cant get around having to eject some kind of primer or case-esque thing
>>
File: meow kitty.jpg (86 KB, 650x851) Image search: [Google]
meow kitty.jpg
86 KB, 650x851
>>30425157
>Excess gas is vented out of the side of the carrier

(through the open ejection port)
>>
>>30425139
You thought right. Combustible plastic that gets ejected down the barrel.
>>
>>30425205
Through the vent holes.
>>30425170
Everyhting in the caseless round goes down the barrel. This includes the minimal metal primer debris.
>>
File: G11Cartridge.jpg (220 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
G11Cartridge.jpg
220 KB, 1600x1200
>>30425139
Yeah I'm honestly not sure
>>
>>30425210
If you had some sort of delayed gas system to push a small rod which acted on a primer in the rear of the projectile, you could use this combustible plastic case idea to great effect.
>>
>>30425229
>Through the vent holes.

Obviously, but it needs somewhere to go outside of the gun, and that's through the open ejection port.
>>
>>30424627
Maybe learn something about materials and engineering....also maybe something about guns....and try again, OP.
>>
>>30425256
The gas vents out through the vent holes before the ejection port even starts to open.
>>
>>30425254
Why not have it ignite electrically? You won't even have to worry about having a primer or firing pin and all that.

Why can't I just stick one of them piezoelectric joints out of my barbecue lighter in the action?
>>
>>30425284
>learn something about materials

Alright, I understand why not to use rubber and cardboard to make firearms, but just how big of a difference will the type of metal used make? Once again, excluding the obvious like cheap ass steel.
>>
>>30424627
I like the idea but there's a couple technical problems.

What happens when a round misfires? It's only capable of ejecting upwards which obviously would cause a problem with optics.

What happens if debris gets in the rack and pinion system? Depending on the size of the pinions, that could range from problematic to catastrophic. They're very sensitive mechanisms, something anyone who has used a dial caliper knows very well. The mechanism would have to be completely sealed and any maintenance to it done under pristine conditions. Lubrication would be out of the question, as well.
>>
>>30425291
dust cover is irrelevant
>>
>>30425319
Having any non-mechanical parts to a gun is asking for catastrophe.
>>
>>30424627
>>30425380
One more flaw- How does the bolt lock? Currently it appears to just be straight-blowback. When it fires, the recoil energy will transfer directly into it, breaking the seal, drastically reducing energy and exposing all the delicate inner workings to fouling.
>>
>>30424627
That is actually pretty neat anon. I think someone with the knowhow could work their way around it. Get a CNC mill and this could be the most advanced garage gun out there.
>>
>>30425494
>rotary bolt
>rotates 90 degrees

Where do you see the straight blowback? Nothing on this gun is straight
>>
Although this is actually a pretty neat idea, the rotating chamber and chamber loading mechanism is Rollin White-tier complex when far more simple methods would be superior
>>
>>30425547
It has a rotary CHAMBER. The bolt (#4 in the diagram) is straight blowback. There's no locking mechanism.
>>
I think that at the end fo the day, while this is novel and interesting, the G11 attempted the same concept with a large team of excellent engineers and even then wasn't practical. I don't see what this offers over a traditional design to justify the additional complication.
>>
>>30424627
By god you have done it.
>>
>>30424726
>Clearing weapon incase of FTF or incomplete burn.
>Making the weapon safe
>Loading any specialized ammunition into the chamber after having a loaded weapon. Eg a blank to fire off a rifle grenade or some shit.
There are reasons.
>>
>>30424719
>>30424726
What about a failure to fire you dumbass?
>>
>>30425232
Yeah,they experimented with paper for the casing. caseless just means that you don't need a chamber the plastic is the chamber just temporarily and plastic since it can only be used once. Doesn't mean that the case doesn't eject, krauts like to make it complicated.
>>
Your design will cook off rounds/10
>>
File: oxv7eo8b.jpg (605 KB, 2700x2400) Image search: [Google]
oxv7eo8b.jpg
605 KB, 2700x2400
>>30424627
/pol/ reporting in
i approve
>>
>>30427774
why the fuck do you have to announce yourself as being from /pol/?
No one gives a shit, like a quarter of the people who browse here also browse /pol/ anyway, including me.
>>
>>30428063
what the fuck did you just fucking post? did you really think getting mad at me on some fucking japanese image board would make you any cooler? think again faggot.
right now me and my real life friends are laughing at you so hard, in your pathetic attempt to make me look bad.
next time you think about posting here again, don't.
>>
File: shitposts loudly.jpg (122 KB, 1080x1080) Image search: [Google]
shitposts loudly.jpg
122 KB, 1080x1080
>>30424968
>"Man, I bet I sound so cool right now!"
>>
>>30428674
I love you too anon, ya cutie
>>
File: 0.jpg (12 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
12 KB, 480x360
>>30427774
>>30428063
>>30428674
>>30428710
>>
>>30424627
My thoughts: the mag release is in an easy place to accidentally bump, I'd recommend finding a new place for it. Second, make the grip angle about 280-290°.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.