[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the F-22 cockpit bullet proof?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7
Let's say a sniper with a Barret .50 BMG shoots at the F-22 aiming for the pilot's head.

Would it kill or block?
>>
>>30405461
It's stealth, sempai. The sniper won't even know it's there.
>>
>>30405461
Depends on the range
>>
>>30405461

No.

And funny story. I work LO on the 22. We had a special retard cut out a repair template with a stanly box cutter ON THE FUCKING CANOPY. Suffice to say it was a six million dollar fuck up.
>>
it won't get broken by birds hitting it.
a bullet? no idea.
>>
>>30405510
What happened to retard?

I ask because I know an idiot who single-handedly broke an F-16's spine while deployed by not putting a pin back in, fortunately it happened during taxiing and didn't result in pilot danger, "just" the plane becoming an overpriced parts collection to salvage from.

>he got an article 15 and no deployment award I think
>but he was in my ALS class for promotion to NCO
>>
>>30405687
Story?
>>
>>30405720
That pretty much IS the story. Stupid E-4 crew chief doesn't put required pin back in, the spine of the Viper cracks on taxiing, plane is irreparably broken and the rest of that airman's deployment sucks a huge donkey dick (and the squadron has to work that much harder to maintain their sortie rate with 1 less fighter, much less the cost to the taxpayer). He might have gotten demoted to E-3? Fuck, it was 3 years ago that he was telling me about this at ALS.
>>
>>30405687
My superior is a old fighter repair guy.
he said:
>It takes a PHD to design fighters
>A Bachelor's degree to fly em'
>High school diploma to fix em

he then told me the time he almost set an F16 on fire.
>>
>>30405510

I'm a U.S navy admiral.
>>
>>30405823
Wouldn't surprise me. There's a lot of them, and I'd say a fair amount like firearms. For one to find their way onto /k/ isn't implausible. Congrats on the star(s), Sir. Thanks for your service.
>>
>>30405823
Are you my father? Didn't know you browsed the chons
>>
>>30405823
This meme needs to die.

>hurrr nobody does anything remotely interesting with their lives just because I'm a neet neckbeard basement dweller
It's not like he's even claiming something cool, working LO means he's basically a painter.

But then again people think that me mentioning FBI agents in my family to answer a question they have is some attempt to be cool when that job is sitting at a desk filing reports or digging through trash.

Or mentioning I work intel gets the Lego dad response. I didn't realize powerpoint slide making was something people envied until I got to /k/.
>>
>>30405887
>I didn't realize powerpoint slide making was something people envied until I got to /k/.
It's essentially your average office job, but with a higher potential for doing something interesting.
>>
>>30405887
>working LO means he's basically a painter

This. Except try using the shittiest paint imaginable in the worst, most suffocatingly hot tyvek and respirator suit having to completely sand down entire wings of the jet in 100% humidity because fuck my life.
>>
>>30405921
But more bullshit involved like having to leave your phone outside the office, not having a search engine worth half a damn on the secure networks, having to page/portion mark every fucking document down to the last email, lots of repetitive computer-based-training, and don't forget all the SHARP/SAPR, suicide prevention, and other assorted bullshit briefings.

Maybe a SLIGHTLY higher potential for doing something interesting but it's more that you might hear of interesting things going on, in the process of reading some report. Things that you didn't do and won't do because you're at a desk making the slides about the report to brief the general. But
>yeah sure you work intel and my dad works at Lego
>>
File: f22canopy7[1].jpg (68 KB, 576x434) Image search: [Google]
f22canopy7[1].jpg
68 KB, 576x434
>>30405461
The F-22's canopy is made of roughly 1-inch thick monolithic polycarbonate. According to this Wikipedia page, it'd stop 3 shots of 9mm or maybe 3 shots of .357: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulletproof_glass

Pic is of a time when a pilot was trapped because an F-22's canopy got jammed; they used rotary saws to cut through it.
>>
File: f22.41[1].jpg (58 KB, 576x431) Image search: [Google]
f22.41[1].jpg
58 KB, 576x431
>>30406290
My memory failed me, it was a chainsaw or something, not a rotary saw:
>>
>>30405687

>Deployment award

You chair force faggots have some good jokes.
>>
File: fine.jpg (26 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
fine.jpg
26 KB, 500x500
>tfw I will never be a jet pilot
I'll just jerk off to DCS world while listening to Dos Gringos.
Maybe it's somewhat the same thing.
>>
>>30405591
A 800g bird hitting at 650kph has about the same energy than a 5.56, 1300J
>>
File: 1322526838763.jpg (45 KB, 333x333) Image search: [Google]
1322526838763.jpg
45 KB, 333x333
>>30405461

>because snipers can fly now apparently
>>
>>30405461
>Barrett .50 BMG
>Air for pilot's head

Spotted the cod fag. A "Barrett .50 BMG" = .50 BMG. The .50 cal round came about long before that sniper rifle.
>>
>>30406748
bro, do you even mid air snipe?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32OGPuqcgyc
>>
>>30406419
Energy needs to be concentrated; a knife can have far less energy, yet do more damage than a hammer.
>>
>>30405823

so is Kirby
>>
File: 1466527094296.jpg (47 KB, 375x355) Image search: [Google]
1466527094296.jpg
47 KB, 375x355
>>30406907
>mfw amercian air force still hasnt implemented this as a standard tactic

Why are we cucks /k/?
>>
>>30405934
So, it's maaco for jets?
>>
>>30406307
why the suits? is the glass infused with nerve gas or some shit?
>>
>>30408205
Full-body firefighter suits. Useful when dealing with aircaft fires.
>>
>>30405510
My old man told me of an Aircraft painter, high on fumes, that fucked up the IR threat reciever on an RAAF F-111. Apparently painted over the bubble, or applied some nasty masking tape directly over it. It was never the same again...

His group had to cut a Chinook in half to inspect damage after one landed way too hard. Not much damage was found, though it never flew again of course. 2 halves don't equal a whole apparently.

/Early 80's RAAF shenanigans.
>>
>>30408205
Like >>30408258 said, they're firefighters; reason they're wearing masks is because cutting cutting that canopy creates plenty of dust, which can irritate lungs. Depending on any additives and what coatings are used, there's a chance there could be some toxic materials. Also, because they're using powerful tools on fairly thick plastic, there's a chance of it heating up and decomposing, giving off toxic fumes.
>>
>>30408295
When they ask where the tax money went.
>>
>>30408319
Aside from Boongs and Centrelink Salerymen?
>>
>>30408295
>and these people want compo.

Fuck em.
>>
>>30408295
gee, i wounder why maintenance of those things got so expensive?
>>
>>30408341
It's a strange situation. These days, we laugh at dickheads who disregard safety gear.

Those days, they laughed at dickheads and pansies who wore safety gear.

I guess the industry didn't know what these newly employed compounds would do to people long term. More likely, individual attitudes didn't believe the reality, until it killed them later.

My old man was abused in Army apprentice school for wearing a mask when welding. At 65 he has no less than 4 skin cancers cut out each year.

We all know better these days.
>>
>>30408368
While it was definitely caused by the lack of knowledge on hazards, it was also just to do with culture; people's bosses and parents had fought in WW2, Korea and/or Vietnam, where some of them had to power through horrors. The LtCol killed 3 guys with his foot hanging on by a shred in Korea, why should we stop working just because we got some fuel on us? So what if we have to breath in some fumes while working in the fuel tank, it's not like we're going to be meeting Charlie in there.
>>
>>30408462
That's it. You said it better. Thankyou.

Whilst recent generations have vastly more knowledge to guide us in avoiding harm, I envy the grit displayed by previous generations.
> '79 Model talking.
>>
>>30405775
This type of shit happens all the time. If you know enlisted personnel with little experience are prone to making inexperienced mistakes, you don't put them in charge of multimillion dollar assets.

Fucking Americans leading the global charge in the undervaluation of experience and human resources. Slash competent personnel for amateurs they can play less, then they're shocked every. single. time. it ends up as fucking amateur hour.
>>
>>30408205
>is the glass infused with nerve gas or some shit?
yes. They dont want the pilot being captured alive, and any pieces to be examined by the enemy after remote disposal detonation.
>>
>>30408205

Airport fire crew cutting him out with a chainsaw. F22s are expensive, and ejecting causes more damage to the plane than just cutting him out and refurbing the cockpit / canopy.

http://pogoblog.typepad.com/pogo/2006/04/why_is_this_man.html
>>
>>30410283
you think they would of just put an emergency hydraulic release valve handle in the cockpit.

BUT I guess $2.7trillion worth of design and development cannot into $1.50 brass quarter-turn valve; gotta buy those hookers and yachts.
>>
File: autismus maximum.jpg (180 KB, 523x720) Image search: [Google]
autismus maximum.jpg
180 KB, 523x720
>>30410310
>$2.7trillion worth of design and development
>>
>>30406290
The canopy also has a gold-based coating to protect against returns from the stuff inside the cockpit.
>>
>>30406308
You're fucking retarded, Army does it too.
>>
>>30408205
That look like standard firefighting gear, dunno why they would bother keeping it all on that shit gets hot as fuck in the sun.
>>
>>30410310
96 billion for the program and the 195 fighters.

Saying this could be fixed with 1.50 valve is like assuming you can get your car to get 60mpg just by duct taping the cracks between panels on your car.
>>
>>30406855
I think they were referring to the weapon that was firing it, not the round itself.
>>
>>30410727
Gold coating protects from the sun bruh
>>
>>30411079
That is not it's primary purpose, dipshit. During F-117 development they realized they needed something to prevent the seat, instrument panel, etc., from producing returns. That's what the gold is for.
>>
>>30406308
Found the guy who wishes he joined the air force
>>
>>30408462
Because they don't want to pay the medical bills for twenty types of cancer and full disability when the retard gets out
>>
>>30408295
>His group had to cut a Chinook in half to inspect damage
Did the front fall of?
>>
>>30410102
Yeah pretty much.
>>
>>30407981

If maaco used paint that scars your lungs and gives you dick cancer in about .009seconds if you inhale it.

I dont envy the LO guys. Thats a fucking shitty job.

On the plus side, I had a LO buddy help my coat the inside of my truckbed with raptorlining, because i'm fucking autistic at painting, and always make a shitty blobby mess.
>>
>>30405823
tnk u 4 ur servix
>>
>>30405823
Thanks for your cervix.
>>
>>30405461
Depends on if he's flying towards or away from the bullet
>>
>>30406419
but the surface area being hit is like 100X larger with a bird hit.
>>
>>30411093
that's one of the things gold is for
the other is GOAT anti-glare
>>
>>30418023
The pilots have a sun visor. Anti-glare isn't as important as you seem to think it is.
Thread replies: 62
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.