[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Getting double feed issues on my AR and I don't fucking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9
File: doublefeed.png (487 KB, 626x430) Image search: [Google]
doublefeed.png
487 KB, 626x430
Getting double feed issues on my AR and I don't fucking know what's causing it.

Things I know that aren't causing it:

Magazines: This is the obvious one but I've tried three different brands, pmags, hex, and those cheap psa metal ones and it happens with each of them.

BCG: I've tried two different bcgs including a a BCM and it's happened with both.

Tonight I took out my firing pin and started racking rounds until it happened again and it did about 4 rounds into it.

was watching carefully when i was feeding the rounds tonight and it looked like on certain times the bcg would go forward to chamber the next round it would go most of the way, but stop maybe a couple centimeters from the round so the firing pin was just out of reach of the charge.

What the fuck is causing this? this is my first AR build and it's happened at the range twice and it seems really fucking dangerous because I basically have to disassemble my AR with a live round in the chamber so I'm able to clear everything.

Pic related...it's from just now when I was feeding it to try and replicate it.
>>
>>30394971

The ammo?
>>
>>30394971
Try different ammo. Keep notes.
>>
>>30394986
>>30395011
I don't know about the ammo, look at OPs pic, which happened when not firing, so some other issue with the extraction? Not grabbing the spent cartridge?
>>
>>30394971
>Tonight I took out my firing pin and started racking rounds until it happened again and it did about 4 rounds into it.
you know thats going to happen cause you took out the firing pin
its actually possible to lock up the gun hard doing that since the firing pin stops the cam pin from rotating without it inserted its going to malfunction
dont do it
>>
>>30394986
>>30395011

I tried three different kinds too. fiocci and two others I can't remember their brand at the moment.

Should also mention even if I pull the charging hand with it unloaded sometimes the bcg goes about 95 percent forward but doesn't seem to go all the way. it's close..but not all the way.

I feel like there's something keeping the bcg from going all the way forward.

>>30395032

It happens with the firing pin in too. and at the range i get something that looks pretty much exactly like in the pic. I just took it out because I don't have any dummy rounds and I didn't want to accidentally shoot a dog
>>
>>30395023

Bud, that's two live rounds. Not at all like he described.

"double feeds" is a FTE of the fired, and an unfired being fed into the fired case.
>>
Something similar happened to me with a New Old Stock keltec SU 16. I think it fired the first magazine fine, then had jams/feed issues. Gunsmith lubed it, and it was right as rain. He didn't even want to charge me.
>>
>>30395053
are you riding the charging handle?
>>
>>30394971
The only time I've ever had this issue was with a brand new windham ar which (I was newguns) I hadn't ever lubed. Fudd in the next lane over fucking hosed it down with half a can of CLP and told me to squirt it every two full magazines for the first 500 rounds. Never had a double feed again
>>
File: 1442631909682.jpg (19 KB, 680x586) Image search: [Google]
1442631909682.jpg
19 KB, 680x586
>>30394971
Clean your gat and lube it up before you shoot. That usually does the trick for me.
>>
The extractor probably isn't grabbing the round. Try a new extractor.
>>
File: inside.png (672 KB, 862x474) Image search: [Google]
inside.png
672 KB, 862x474
>>30395075

I've lubed it pretty good in there. I'll lube it more and try again.

>>30395089

I don't think so. I haven't paid a lot of attention to that, but i've shot plenty of ars before and haven't had an issue when it's a different rifle.

is it possible there's something wrong with the gas tube that's not letting the the bcg come all the way forward each time?
>>
I had sprayed it down with some clp, but i'll try some hoppes oil too.
>>
check your extractor and extractor spring/o-ring
>>
>>30394971
man my 350$ complete psa upper /bolts have never done that lol
>>
What gas system length and buffer/ buffer spring you got equipped? The timing might be off.
>>
>>30394971
You're problem is that you have an AR
>>
>>30395598
Kek
>>
>>30395053
I normally don't have to worry about using the forward assist, but aside from getting a new and heavier spring, and maybe finding out if there's grinding when the bolt goes forward, I don't know what else to look at.

What upper receiver do you have, again?
>>
>>30395598
*your
Need to stop im drunk kek
>>
>>30395053
Again, keep notes.

Otherwise it sounds like you're "riding" the charging handle
>>
>>30395163
What about a mag issue? Have you verified it happening with multiple different magazine?
>>
Hold on, back up.

How can this even happen? Two live rounds?

In order to get a live round into the chamber, the bolt has to come fully forward and strip a round off the magazine. To get a second round jammed up you would physically have to close the bolt fully, then rack the bolt a second time without firing.

Is this a troll thread and everyone is too stupid to see it?
>>
>>30395142
>He had to lube his Windham
Shit, I bought some Froglube for it after seeing it on /k/, and that was about 200 rounds in with no issues.
>>
>>30394971
556 in a 223 chamber
>>
>>30395736
r u retarded
>>
File: Feed Ramps.jpg (302 KB, 700x701) Image search: [Google]
Feed Ramps.jpg
302 KB, 700x701
>>30394971
What do the cuts in the barrel/receiver look like.

It might not be all that's wrong, but it can cause rounds to hang up like the second one in your picture is.

Another thing to look at is if it is failing to extract the first round, try different ammo/ replace your extractor/extractor springs.
>>
File: wtf 13.jpg (90 KB, 800x554) Image search: [Google]
wtf 13.jpg
90 KB, 800x554
>>30395736
>>
File: BCM extractor upgrade kit.jpg (372 KB, 1382x778) Image search: [Google]
BCM extractor upgrade kit.jpg
372 KB, 1382x778
>>30394971
Did you take your bolt apart?

You probably put the extractor spring in backwards.

Buy a BCM extractor spring upgrade kit too.

Yes I had double feeds because I re-assembled my bolt wrong. I bought a new extractor and spring kit, the springs fixed it.
>>
>>30395763
LOL no it fucking isn't
>>
>>30395807
I'm nearly AR illiterate.

What the FUCK am I looking at here?
>>
>>30396084
double stack feed ramps, fám.
Shouldn't be that foreign.
>>
>>30396119
I...what?

Something that guides where the round comes from, regardless of the starting position?

Well shit, I didn't actually think it mattered.
>>
File: gunsmithingproblems.jpg (56 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
gunsmithingproblems.jpg
56 KB, 500x375
>>30394971
>>
>>30394971
Hard to tell from the pic, but you feedramps looked fucked, like rotated 20* clockwise. What barrel is that?
>>
>>30395061
that's not what a double feed is at all
>>
>>30395807
look at his picture and tell me how your pic has any relevance

I'll wait
>>
>>30396207
the primer isn't tapped. why would it extract a round that isn't spent?
>>
>>30396228
he was manually racking
The casing stuck and he closed the next one on it
It didn't extract

That's not a double feed
>>
OP here...

Sorry I went away for a bit because I thought the thread was dead but there's a lot more responses now.

It's a wylde 223 barrel. The lower I'm using is just a psa prebuilt lowers I got during a christmas sale.

I have only put about 10 rounds total through it because i keep getting double feeds.

I'm mostly an AK guy but I was slowly piecing together my AR over the last few months.

So far I've lubed the ever loving shit out of it. I lubed it prior, but perhaps it wasn't enough. who knows.

I'll probably head back out to the range tomorrow and see if that helps at all.
>>
>>30396306
>double feeds.

There's that word again

is it taking two rounds out of the mag at the same time or is it failing to extract and then ramming another in behind it?
>>
File: ozzy.jpg (182 KB, 737x500) Image search: [Google]
ozzy.jpg
182 KB, 737x500
>>30395800
>>30395844
Look at OPs image.

There is a live round fully inserted into the chamber.

Now if a double feed occurred without firing, two rounds would have popped out of the magazine without either being fed.

If a double feed occurred while firing, the round in the chamber would have a dimpled primer and the extractor would have failed to strip it, leaving it there for the next round to be pushed into.

Two live rounds. One in the chamber.

The ONLY way this can happen is if he charged the rifle, and without firing, charged it a second time.
>>
>>30396306
FIX YOUR EXTRACTOR NOOB

flip the extractor spring around, buy a BCM extractor spring upgrade kit too
>>
>>30396360
>a BCM extractor spring upgrade kit too

Different fag. Why?
>>
>>30396306
check to see if you have a rubber o-ring around your extractor spring

If you do, buy a new spring and o-ring, if no o-ring, buy an o-ring
>>
>>30396306
>he fell for the wylde meme
>>
>>30396409
>no accuracy fag
>>
>>30396384
Extractor is super important, that's why.

Keep it stiff, keep it reliable.
>>
>>30396384
Oh, and because I think he's having an extractor failure or something.

He probably has the extractor spring installed backwards or something. They are cone shaped, directional.

>>30396389
^ this
>>
>>30396448
>>30396458

Is an extractor upgrade worthwhile right off the bat for a new AR owner?
>>
>>30396984
so long as the original needs it

If there's no O-ring, definitely get it
It's standard issue now because they realize what an improvement it was
>>
File: 1466749778053.jpg (88 KB, 650x774) Image search: [Google]
1466749778053.jpg
88 KB, 650x774
It's a AR this is normal.
>>
>>30396358
and it would have had to of failed to extract the first round when he cycled the action the second time
>>
>>30396306
I got an idea for you.
Load up a mag, then use your thumb to strip rounds out of it until a second round starts to be pulled out by the round you're probably using on.

I have a little theory but I need to have you do this to confirm.
>>
>>30394971
Your barrel isn't actually .223 wylde. I don't know what it is, but it ain't .223 wylde. If you can, return the barrel.
>>
Tighten your mag release. I know it sounds retarded, but a loose release causes the mag to be seated incorrectly which can prevent a round from extracting.

-or-
there is an obstruction in the star chamber or bolt face or that general area that is preventing lock up. In other words the bolt is going forward enough to fire the round, but not enough for the extractor to grab onto the round.

-or-
your extractor is fucked up

-or-
your barrel is a shit made by a shit.

If you are in MD I can meet with you later today and you can try your bolt/mags in my weapon and my upper on your lower which will narrow down the issue.
>>
>>30395147
he said he tried 2 different BCG's, so I assume he didn't swap out the 1 bolt for both carriers.
Unless he literally got 2 bad extractors.
>>
>>30395061
FTE is an empty case stuck in the chamber, normally with a live one mixed in. Double feed is two unfired rounds going into the chamber, aka being 'fed' into the gun at once.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.