[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
House of Reps Dems sitting in on gun control
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7
File: you_are_wrong.jpg (37 KB, 600x480) Image search: [Google]
you_are_wrong.jpg
37 KB, 600x480
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2016/06/23/daily-202-house-sit-in-guarantees-gun-control-will-be-a-top-issue-in-fall-election/576b343f981b92a22d2a951a/

TL;DR - Democrat Representatives have decided to sit-in instead of doing their jobs as payed for by the American people and their tax dollars.

From the Washington Post:
"--“This isn’t trying to come up with a solution to a problem; this is trying to get attention,” the Speaker complained on TV late last night. That is neither true nor fair."

>That is neither true nor fair.

Hahaha, holy shit. They ACTUALLY have no other recourse than whining and acting like children when someone calls them out on their own bullshit. That's it, fellas. We've won until at LEAST the election cycle, if not for the next term. Wow. Just wow.
>>
>>30380050
>Filibuster to get bills for gun control
>Unacceptable bills killed
>Dems kill the one that would've actually enforced NICS reporting requirements
>Throw tantrum because the Republicans won't go their way
Fucking children.
>>
>>30381202
There is no wasy they will get anything by sitting in, right?
>>
>>30380050
I've heard some people say that what the dems are doing here is either Illegal or just against house rules and that the Sergeant-at-Arms should get involved.
>>
>>30380050
I heard on the radio, that one guy went home to get a shower...does that count as a sit in because somebody saved his space? If he left the building he should have been locked out.
>>
>>30381238
You think the Republicans give a fuck? It'll let them catch up on a nap.
>>
>>30381260
Dont know mate, Im a Brit and Im not familiar with how congress, the senate and all that work.
>>
>>30381253
Ehh I'm not too bothered by it. Sure, it's against the rules, but the stuff the US Congress does is hilariously tame compared to parliaments in a lot of countries.

I'm not going to be moved until I see literal fistfights breaking out in the chamber.

Plus, this and the Senate's shutting down of the Republican proposals can now be turned around to show how the Dems don't really give a shit either - they're just as obstructionist and partisan as they claim the Republicans to be.
>>
>>30381297
Aight so here's the general idea
>2 senators per state
>number of representatives per state for lower house varies by population

Which gives us 100 senators and over 400 congressmen. The Senate is generally considered the more powerful of the two houses, and it's got weird rules. You need 60 votes to pass anything, and there's no restrictions on how long you can talk, which means that (unless they can get the 60 votes necessary to tell you to shut the hell up) you can talk indefinitely during your scheduled time - filibustering.

The lower house is a bit more fast moving - IIRC you only need a simple majority to pass anything, and there's restrictions on speaking time because filibustering there would mean that Congress would be even more deadlocked than they normally are.

To get anything passed into a law, you need it to pass both houses. That means anything the Senate approves gets passed onto the House and vice-versa.

Technically, this sit-in is against the rules. However, they know there's no chance in hell of anything getting passed (even if it's supported by the Republicans, because fuck bipartisanism), so they're trying to raise hell to get proposals voted on.
>>
>>30381322
>I'm not going to be moved until I see literal fistfights breaking out in the chamber.
Seconded. Remember back in the 1800s it wasn't unheard of for reps to bring guns into the chamber.
>>
>>30381369
thats a really clear way of explaining it, cheers mate. Wikipedia is too long-winded to understand anything.
>>
>>30381373

We're one step closer to duels being legalized again. Then they can settle this for good.
>>
>>30381433
>Libs lose every time because they never bring a gun.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1463347356235.jpg (12 KB, 480x348) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1463347356235.jpg
12 KB, 480x348
>>30381445
Hue
>>
>>30381297
Congress: Bicameral legislative branch similar in concept to your Parliament. Creates laws and, if passed, sends them to the President for approval.
-Senate: Long-term representatives of the States. 2 for each state, serves 6-year terms.
-House of Representatives: Ostensibly represent the people. Number of reps is based on population of the state, and get elected from voting districts within a state. 2 year terms.

A member of either house creates a bill. It gets debated, amended, and revised in the relevant committee. If it passes that it goes to the floor for debate, amendment, and revision. If it passes that it then goes up for vote. If it passes all of that, then a version is submitted to the other house and goes through the exact same process. Then the two versions go into a joint committee to create a unified version of the bill. Then both houses vote on that version and if it does pass, it goes to the President for final approval, at which point he has four options:

Approve:
Sign into law.
Ignore for ten days while Congress is in session.

Veto:
Ignore for ten days while Congress is not in session (Pocket Veto, can not be overridden)
Issue a regular veto (Can be overridden by a 2/3rds vote from Congress)

And as of 4:25 EST the Sit-in is over with no results.
>>
>>30381445
Fucking laughed out loud
>>
I wish Republicans cared this much about concealed carry.

They get pissed first so they define the narrative. I really want, at least once, for Republicans to play a bit of offense.
>>
>>30381499
>the Sit-in is over with no results.
Mmm bureaucracy how I love it.
>>
>>30381369
that is the best freaking break down of how our govt works I have ever read! Why couldnt you have posted this like ten years ago when I was studying government???
Also to add on to that
IF something does manage to get passed the President must sign it into law or Veto it (say fuck no). If he does Veto it, congress can still pass it but it takes (go ahead and correct me if I am wrong) 2/3rds majority to over rule a Veto.
This is why you see the repeal of "Obama care" get passed by congress, but then the President Vetos it. The republicans have enough votes to control congress, but not enough to over rule the president.
>>
>>30381547
This, we always have a 'compromise' which is just chipping away at gun rights, rarely the other way round.
>>
>>30381872
They can't even back-door defund it, and did their own tantrum via the government shutdown a couple years ago and the threat of it again.
>>
>>30381892
Faggot.
>>
>>30381547
It's not an issue of passion. Republicans have been on the back foot in this country for 50 years because they essentially agree with leftist moral principles, which gives the left the initiative on literally everything.

This is why voting for Trump is important.
>>
>>30381369

You also don't even have to talk for a filibuster anymore in the senate. They can just claim to be and go to their offices. There's some kind of limit on this, but I can't remember the specifics
>>
>>30381892
I am all for government shut downs (apart from the part where I dont get paid), because it starts to wake my fellow citizens up and get them pissed off enough to start paying attention beyond what MSNBC tells them.
>>
>>30381921
I want to filibuster in song.
>>
>>30381919
It's just annoying because I don't like a lot of what Trump stands for but I'm sick of the GOP and I want change to happen within it. I'm just not sure Trump is the way I want the GOP to go, but I'm going to vote for him regardless because what's my other option, Hillary? Fuck no. He's different than the other GOP candidates and that's refreshing when looked at from a certain perspective but I don't know if that's what I want.
>>
>>30382006
It really doesn't matter if you don't agree with everything Trump says. Conservatism, the very concept of it, has failed. All it does is slow the encroaching leftism that's been eating at the country for decades, because republicans don't push forward, they push back. Trump is pushing forward. God only knows where to, but it's not the place the leftist literati has been pushing its entire tenure and anything is better than that.

In 2012, you had a choice between killing your country, and killing your country more slowly. In 2016 you have a choice between killing your country and doing something drastic to save it.
>>
>>30382034
Well said, I don't feel as bad anymore.
>>
>>30380050
Can Republicans get capitol police or security to remove them by force since they're being disruptive?
>>
>>30382083
They're already gone, but it would be a dumb idea. They were making asses of themselves, that's their prerogative and it looked silly, not noble.
>>
>>30382097
But they're going to come back on July 5th, if they're acting like children then they need to be treated like children.
>>
>>30382117
Why? Let them make fools of themselves. They're just hurting their own image.
>>
>>30382034
>>30382006

Your rights are essentially gone when shillery appoints 3 lib justices.

All it will take is a few false flags and they will make a case to review old supreme court rulings.

Trump is far more liberal than he is pretending to be, but hopefully he at least stays moderate while in office for appearance.
>>
>>30382131
Trump is liberal on some issues and has admitted to that. He's also conservative on some issues. What matters is that he's a nationalist.
>>
>>30382131
Given recent trends with Obama's justices I'm not as worried as I once was. They're no Scalia, but they at least seem to be fairly reasonable with their protection of civil liberties. Also, that 8-0 decision telling Massachusetts to go fuck itself with the
>but it wasn't around when the 2nd Amendment was written
argument makes me feel fairly good about gun rights.
>>
>>30382006
Rubio was our best chance. Young, handsome and Hispanic. He would have given all the Mexicans a pause. But for some reason enough people voted for trump, but not enough to elect him. I'll have served under 18 years of democrats by the time Hillary leaves. It's disgusting.
>>
>>30382147
>What matters is that he's not a cuck.

Fixed.
>>
>>30382184
More or less the same thing.
>>
>>30382129
>They're just hurting their own image
Social media and news would say otherwise.
>>
>>30382181
>a florida cuban would have "given all the Mexicans pause"

Cubans and Mexicans do not have any common cause with one another. They are two entirely different groups.

Are you one of these "all hispanic people are the same" morons?
>>
>>30382191
Are you unaware of the political leanings of both social and traditional media at this point?
>>
>>30382193
Are you an idiot? Mexicans are a huge voting block and they would gravitate to a Hispanic regardless of political affiliation.
>>
>>30382205
That is profoundly false. People vote party before identity in almost all cases. The republican party trying to pander to minorities is the reason "cuckservative" is a term.
>>
>>30382205
>>30382217

Rubio also introduced like three bills giving de facto amnesty to illegals.

His whole idea of appealing to Mexicans was just being brown and giving everyone amnesty

He is as RINO as it gets
>>
File: 1466643630916.jpg (190 KB, 573x438) Image search: [Google]
1466643630916.jpg
190 KB, 573x438
>>30382147
Yeah I'm hoping Trump's success will push the Republicans to become a bit more socially liberal with their policies. A lot of what's killing them is the social conservatism that gives off the impression they want to legislate the bible.

By taking a
>REEEEEEE government get out
approach to things, though, they would really be able to attract more voters without upsetting the social conservatives too much. Just take Scalia's approach to things - he voted against gay marriage not because he disagreed with it, but because the constitution said nothing about it, so therefore it should be a state's rights issue.

Just need to focus real hard on the
>why is it the government's problem
argument for things to try to drown out the counterproductive arguments of social conservatives.
>>
>>30382205
I'm Mexican first Gen American and you're a dumb faggot, go back to you're safespace /pol/ pls.
>>
>show up to work
>get nothing done

should have probably stayed home
>>
>>30382193
>Are you one of these "all hispanic people are the same" morons?
I doubt he's a democrat

>>30382181
rubio is one of my states representatives and a fucking joke. did a terrible job as a senator and only got the job because charlie crist the black sheep independant republican got pissy and split the vote while the democrats ran a old broken down nigger against him. the sad thing is that he'll probably retain his seat simply because the blue ties are running a small potatoes liar/conman/milquetoast cuck against him who has no chance of winning.

>>30380050
we've entered bizzaro america where the democrats are running a warhawk, big business neocon shill against a republican socially liberal isolationist centrist. a bizzaro world where the democrats are pushing for restrictions of the first, second, and 5th amendments to make the government boot more oppressive on the necks of their political and social enemies while the republicans are the party of civil liberties and human rights.

I want off this wild ride
>>
File: 1465496086836.png (255 KB, 961x498) Image search: [Google]
1465496086836.png
255 KB, 961x498
>>30382296
>the republicans are the party of civil liberties and human rights.
butthat'swrongyoufuckingretard.jpg
>>
>>30382341
>butthat'swrongyoufuckingretard.jpg
By design, sure, but Dems are definitely restricting free speech, want more governmental control over everything, and everything handed to them on a platter with minimal effort, while doing zero for civil liberties and human rights except share crap on Facebook to feel better about themselves.

They're basically a dumbed down 21st century version of communism in the early 20th.
>>
File: trump pepe AR15.png (640 KB, 1063x507) Image search: [Google]
trump pepe AR15.png
640 KB, 1063x507
>>30382341
>yfw obummer never mentioned gun control in the newtown aftermath address
look up the transcript and show where he said anything about guns

Since then he's pissed in the wind about muh gun control as his term gets smaller and the democrat oligarchs more asshurt about trump but in the long ago year of 2012 it would have been a pointless monkey wrench in wasting all that political capital on obamacare.

http://www.ontheissues.org/2016/Donald_Trump_Gun_Control.htm
only mar on his record is tactile fudd support of the brady bill a decade and a half ago when the word wasn't out yet that it didn't do a goddamn thing to curb inner city crime or even gun crime. since then he's been increasingly progun, stating he was against all gun control 5 years ago and running on national CC permit reciprocity

>regressive left
>not marxist collectivists hell bent on restricting our enumerated rights and liberties.
the democrats are advocating for restrictions on free speech and staged this gay sit in because da ebil republicans won't let them replace due process with secret lists composed by appointed bureaucrats with no oversight or uniform metric for addition. The same war on terror patriot act shit they decried for 8 years under bush.
>>
>>30380050

When the Dems passed that health care law that's imploding behind closed doors the media was strangely silent.

Of course the stupid thing is that you have press and democrats complaining when the cameras got turned off when they're the ones who are claiming the second amendment and the bill of rights only apply to the government.
>>
>>30382556
>The same war on terror patriot act shit they decried for 8 years under bush.
It's crazy. It's like the people arguing for these laws don't remember that they hate this list. Am I going crazy? Did they just fucking forget? Is it this easy to manipulate people?
>>
>>30382779
yes, yes it is this easy to manipulate people

people have no ground up political ideals anymore (if they ever had them
people have identities based on groups rather than ideas
this law is anti-blck, anti-gun, pro-gay, islamophobic, pro-immigrant, anti-hispanic, isolationist, interventionist, etc

when people have political ideals based on social groupings instead of being built ground up from first principals, any policy can be pushed with the proper framing

this no-fly/no-buy list can be framed alternately as pro-gay, anti-gun, anti-Muslim, or anti-privacy depending on the angle and group you want to play
>>
>>30383029
ex, Human Rights Campaign will say it's pro gay, Council on American Islamic Relations will say it's anti-Muslim, the GOA will say it's anti-gun, and the EFF will call it anti-privacy
>>
File: 1423148368788.png (460 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1423148368788.png
460 KB, 800x600
>>30383029
ACLU is against this as are plenty of others.

>>30382418
Should we talk about the FBI bill that the GOP was trying to pass. Because there's that cancer.

Oh and Trump promising to remove the ban on tax-exempt groups from engaging in politics. Cause fuck separation of church & state.

Degenerates, all of them, left & right just trying to carve up this nation as according to their ideology without a care for the hypocritical logic behind it.
>>
>>30383066
its anti-freedom
Sikhs have been put on the no fly list for simply wearing turbans, arabs have been put on the no fly list for speaking arabic, its pretty much impossible to get removed from those lists and getting placed on them in the first place requires no due process.
The only reasonable legislation put forward was the one that would delay the sale for a couple of days but im sure they slipped in some shady shit in there anyway
>>
>>30382191

> "the liberal media corporations are completely behind the democrats! checkmate conservacucks!"
>>
>>30380050
Poor dems. They don't know how to rebel:

http://www.politico.com/blogs/politico-now/2008/08/house-dems-turn-out-the-lights-but-gop-keeps-talking-010724
>>
>>30382779
They don't hate the list, they just hate that they didn't come up with it.
>>
>>30380050
got tonight's lottery numbers?
>>
>>30383200
>Rep Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) just pretended to be a Democrat. He stood on the other side of the chamber and listed all of the GOP bills that the Dems killed.

He then said, "I am a Democrat, and here is my energy plan" and he held up a picture of an old VW Bug with a sail attached to it. He paraded around the House floor with the sign while the crowd cheered.

>Right at the stroke of five Georgia Rep. Tom Price announced that House Republicans were ending their impromptu protest on the floor of the chamber, ending a five-plus hour rebellion with a round of "God Bless America."

>The assembled tourists, aides and members in the chamber gave Price and his compatriots a standing ovation. They left the chamber to shouts of "USA! USA! USA!"
>>
>>30381369

An actual informative post on 4chan

Bravo sir
>>
>Hey these bills with due process seem like an ok "compromise" to shut these faggots up. Can't see they turning it down either. "yay".
>"WHAT?! DUE PROCESS? ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?! REEEEEEEE! NAY NAY NAY NAY! OUR WAY OR THE HIGHWAY! I BET YOU PLANNED THIS WITH THE NRA. TIME FOR A SITIN! WE WILL OVER COME!
>>
>>30381369
3/5s of a senate vote can end a filibuster if I can remember gov 2305 correctly
>>
>>30382181
>anti-trump mexicans are legal
lmaoooooo
>>
>>30383125
Lets not forget Ted Kennedy, a toddler and numerous Soldiers with Top Secret clearance, all because they had names similar to a suspected terrorist.
>>
>>30381934
Ted Cruz read Green Eggs and ham to his kids for a filibuster once.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-4FQAov2xI
>>
>>30383319
>Trump hates mexicans!!!! REEEEEEEEEE
What Trump said is that illegal aliens are criminals, which considering they illegally crossed our border....they are!

Speaking of the border, there are literal highways of smuggling along our border. Drugs, people and even guns are sent across our borders. The people are not people looking for a better life,though those are among them, there is also a large number of slaves. They are sold and re-sold usuallyas sex slaves, but also as labor. They are kept with threats of harm to theor families or that the EVIL American Police will hurt them worse, or just know how to escape.
As for the guns in Mexico, the US supplies South American militaries with weapons. Since there is a lot of corruption down south, those weapons sometimes get put on the black market in large numbers.....so yeah.

Speaking of guns, in 1997 I rrad an article about 30,000 AKMs being smuggled into the US from an old Soviet Armory, 50,000 had already made it to US streets....just sayin
>>
>>30383658
pfft that's nothing. Strom Thurmond literally just read from the phonebook to kill time.
>>
>>30381934
Think Cruz started reading from the bag of chips he was eating too. There is literally no reason why you couldn't filibuster in song. Just memorise some stuff before you go up or just go off of memory and hum what you forget. It would be a historical kek. Also learn how to construct a stadium pal. Good for standing in lines, good enough for a senator.
>>
>>30381499
>pocket veto
That's what Lincoln did to some bill that would allow southern land owners their salves back, right?
>>
>>30380050
>https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/powerpost/paloma/daily-202/2016/06/23/daily-202-house-sit-in-guarantees-gun-control-will-be-a-top-issue-in-fall-election/576b343f981b92a22d2a951a/

Actual literal children.
>wah wah we didnt get nuffin passed
>We arent gonna play unless we re-vote and I get my way
>>
>>30383939
It's a pretty common tactic to get rid of shitty bills without blatantly vetoing. "Oh, whoops, got busy and forgot about it lol."
>>
Remember the endless smug mockery given to the GOP during the government shutdown, how the media was lockstep in condemning their antics as puerile temper tantrums at not getting their way?

The democrats don't do that. Instead, they take courageous and impassioned stands. But from where I'm standing, I can't tell the difference.
>>
>>30384197
That's because the Democrats aren't fucking around with the debt ceiling negotiations, which means whatever is happening has no chance of harming the stock price of major media outlets.
>>
>>30384218
If they pout long enough, they will be.
Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.