[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Since were all gun nuts that live and breathe firearms, does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 550x324) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 550x324
Since were all gun nuts that live and breathe firearms, does anyone on here actually work as a gunsmith or in a manufacting plant?

I figure it would be a way to get paid working on a passion, and maybe get the inside scoop of whats to come
>>
>>30378088
Being a gunsmith for a large manufacturer is generally pretty shit. You most likely would just be in assembly.

Private gunsmithing is decent money if you specialize. You're better off just learning CNC and becoming a machinist if thats what you are interested in.
>>
I just build my own shit to enhance my personal collection.

All my money comes from computer programming n shit.
>>
>>30378088
I work for Kel-Tec. CNC operator. Great company, amazing benefits, and serious discounts on our guns and with other manufacturers and suppliers that we have deals with. If you're really looking to get into it I would say take the steps to become a machinist and supplement that with general gunsmithing knowledge. That would get you started on being able to do just about anything you want with firearms. The stuff you could do with a small mill or lathe in your garage could be a good way to make side money and maybe get your own company going.
>>
>>30378176
Graduating vocational tech school soon for machinist. Say at your company would there be preferred hiring on a cnc over a manual machinist?
>>
>>30378295
We have 3 manual machinists total. Everyone else is some level of CNC. The manual machinist background is important to CNC though as you'll already know processes, tooling, and speeds/feeds. It's just a matter of learning how to program from there. None of that is needed to be an operator. Just push the button and collect parts at most places. The major stuff is left to dedicated setup guys and programmers.
>>
I work for HK in oberndorf, Germany.
But just inside the office doing paperwork.
Still some discount for civil gun versions. So pretty good because being a gun owner in Germany is pretty expensive.

Das ist Fakt.
>>
>>30378295
Also, so that I don't discourage you, I know that other companies do things differently. Our manual department is just for prototypes, repairs, jigs, and parts to fix machines. All production work is CNC.
>>
>>30378449
That is awesome! Do you get to play with the non-civie versions? At Kel-Tec we can take them to our range or sign them out for when we want them. It has something to do with a trust setup. Not sure of all of the legals but it's cool just to be able to sign out NFA guns whenever.
>>
Remington just moved their facility down where I live, I would have gone there, except I already have a sweet gig on a machining line in an auto factory. Far as I know Remington only had assembly jobs, and they pay less too.
>>
>>30378474
Not really. Some people are able to.
But for me as I am not really touching any gun there it's not happening.
>>
>>30378429
How did you get into a job like that? I wouldnt mind starting out as goon just operating/ loading a machine but would want to grt more involved down the line. Is there section like hand fitting and assembly?
>>
>>30378176
Where the fuck are the RDBs???
>>
>>30378088
I wanted to but only one school teaches it in my state and for other reasons just wasn't worth it, also hillariously the academic advisor hated guns. Really wanted to specialize in de sporterizing military surplus guns and unfucking bubbas fuck ups.
>>
I am the Hungol from some threads before. I have a CNC lathe operator and a Firearm mechanic exam already, now I am studying production technology, then will do my next semester on industrial designing. What are my chances in firearm manufacturing without any major experiences?
>>
>>30379216
I got lucky and knew somebody that got me in. Most places will want some sort of machining/technical background to get the job. Basic operators usually don't need much since the most technical aspect of their job would be loading parts/material into a jig or fixture inside the machine for it to be cut. If you can use a torque wrench you are basically fit for that position. If other places in the country are like Kel Tec and Knights Armament here in Brevard you'll have to have something that makes you stand out because they are highly sought after jobs. Generally just helps to know somebody. Once you get in though you can pretty much go anywhere. One of our guys went to SCCY in Daytona. Some people we've let go have gone over to Diamondback which is not far from us. Others have just gone on to different places that don't involve firearms for more money. I have no idea the requirements for assembly. That's a whole different area from the shop. I'd imagine that if you can use basic hand tools you can get that kind of job. The gunsmiths and hand fitting guys we have are very few and they spend nearly all of their time on repairs (lifetime warranty and all that).
>>
>>30379320
We are running small batches of 1000-2000 right now. Don't want another debacle like we have with the RFB gas system so we are testing and revising the hell out of them before they see a full public rollout.
>>
>>30379425
Did you add an ejection port trapdoor like the P90 has?
>>
>>30379449
Yeah that video on InRange where mud got in the RDB's poop chute and the rifle stopped completely was pretty bad.

Meanwhile the FS2000 can shoot while submerged in mud.
>>
>>30379669
Sweet. Any ballpark on when the revisions and/or gen 2s will be in production?
>>
>>30379669
Not lelkekfag, just stating a fact that RDB didnt like mud up its pooper.
>>
>>30379696
meant for >>30379680
>>
Was going to work apply for Remington but they closed the plant in my town.
>>
>>30378482
West Kentucky?
>>
>>30379669
I'll see if I can find that video to show to engineering. I didn't see a cover on the exploded drawing I looked at.
>>
>>30379743
North alabama
>>
Eurofag here

I'm a gunsmith for a major german hunting and sport shooting retail store chain. I did my 3 year apprenticeship at a traditional manufacturer of hunting rifles in Suhl, doing everything from making all the internals from pieces of steel, final fitting of the action and parts to making and finishing stocks from roughly machined blanks. However now I only do small repairs, sight in durr rifles, mount scopes and send the stuff I can't/don't want to fix to our central workshop to deal with, while I sell stuff most of the time.
>>
>>30379850
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/12/11/inrange-tv-gives-the-kel-tec-rdb-a-mudbath-and-the-results-aint-pretty/
>>
>>30381147
Damn they are just closing everywhere then.
>>
File: IMAG0130.jpg (575 KB, 2688x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0130.jpg
575 KB, 2688x1520
>>30378449
The old Mauser factory? I don't believe you but I want to, post pictures of the lunch room, parking lot, restrooms, supply closet, or whatever that doesn't involve a sharpie.
>>
I program and setup 5 axis mill-turns as a machinist. The company makes parts for the medical field; heart pump components, implants of several types and components of electric/air powered surgical tools. My type of work often calls for crazy tolerances occasionally as tight as .00005 total but I'm not certain how well this would translate to guns. Cool stuff to know either way.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.