[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/. I need some help. I've been having suicidal thoughts
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3
File: equality.jpg (83 KB, 589x683) Image search: [Google]
equality.jpg
83 KB, 589x683
Hey /k/. I need some help.

I've been having suicidal thoughts for a long time now. Life on my side really sucks and I hate it. For a while I really wanted to end it all and be over with this never ending nightmare. But recently I went to a therapist and talked to him about it. He told me I could get better if I wanted to and I could get out of my situation.

Well I was really worried about being committed and losing my right to buy a gun. I don't know where else to go to learn about this. What should I avoid so I don't lose my right to buy a firearm? What if I get put on some antidepressants? What if I voluntarily commit myself to some hospital? what if I stay for one night? what if I stay for a few days? Are there certain things I should avoid?

P.S. I live in texas
>>
File: arnold-schwarzenegger-conquer.jpg (900 KB, 2880x1800) Image search: [Google]
arnold-schwarzenegger-conquer.jpg
900 KB, 2880x1800
>>30372146

This is a good question. I don't know enough about how psychological evaluation affects firearm ownership rights, but the main question asked on government forms seems to be if you were "involuntarily committed" to a mental health program. I suggest looking up the ATF's 4473 form and going from there.

>Have you ever been adjudicated mentally defective (which includes a determination by a court, board, commission, or other lawful authority that you are a danger to yourself or to others or are incompetent to manage your own affairs) OR have you ever been committed to a mental institution? (See Instructions for Question 11.f.)

You're doing the smart thing here by asking. Better to find out now than to lose your rights to some government loophole, especially in this day and age. After all, if that maniac who shot up the Pulse club in Orlando could skate all the safeguards, but a law-abiding citizen is locked out of his second amendment rights, what kind of country are we living in?

Personally, I'd suggest finding a good church and talking to a pastor. See if the church has an adult activity group, or a grief share group, or any kind of social activity focused on adults. Good pastors are a lot like psychologists, except Bibles instead of drugs. A lot of mental issues can be overcome by adjusting your philosophy and outlook on the world, and since you're in Texas I strongly recommend checking into that before trying anything that will give you a medical history the government can use against you.

All this might sound a bit heavy on the tinfoil, but government agencies are chomping at the bit to take gun rights away from everyone. As long as you're not planning to hurt others, and you're stable enough to protect yourself from others and from yourself, there's no reason you shouldn't be part of the well-ordered militia.
>>
>>30372146
what if you actually faced your shit and dealt with it

thats what finally worked for me.
>>
Just kill yourself already mate.
>>
File: 2172.png (93 KB, 240x240) Image search: [Google]
2172.png
93 KB, 240x240
bump for interest...
>>
>>30372146
Okay so here is how it works.

If you get put into a psych ward for being "a potential harm to yourself or others" it will be under a 5150. This isn't being committed, this is a 72 hour observation hold. It's not treatment. If you choose to stay longer than the 72 then you can and you're still not mentally adjudicated.

If for whatever reason the doctors decide to hold you longer than that, it's a 14 week hold and I believe (but I don't know for sure) that you still have your firearm rights. It's the board of doctors in the hospital that make the decision whether to hold you for that 14 day period. I know there is another way to keep you in after that period and I believe that you most definitely lose your firearm rights then. I'm not sure how that process works, nor can I speculate.

tl;dr you need to go through the courts before you're adjudicated mentally defective and lose your firearm rights. It doesn't just happen if you get put in a psych ward unless it's for some serious ass shit that they'll keep you there longer than the 72 hours involuntarily
>>
>>30372146
This seems like a good thread to ask, when I was 16 my parents thought I had a mental disorder so I got sent to a adolescent mental ward. Am I fucked? I didnt get diagnosed with anything and never took meds. I just turned 18 and I want to buy a nice durr gun
>>
>>30372511
>it will be under a 5150
As an addition to this, some states do restrict your firearm rights for a period of time if you are put into a psych ward on a 5150. California is one, but there is a process to contest it. I believe the restriction is 5 years if I'm not mistaken.
>>
>>30372537
>I got sent to a adolescent mental ward.
If you were just put in on a 5150 (obersvation hold) then you're fine. It seems like that's the case.
>>
>>30372551
It wasnt a 5150, they put me there to get intensive testing done. I was there for a while
>>
>>30372146
copy/pasta

>probably your self-disgust is due to you failing your own expectations of yourself. perhaps you are not even being honest with yourself as to what those actually are in the first place.

>probably you have a secret self-image, one that you don't necessarily tell other people about, something you would ideally be if you had your own way. if this is the case, then you really need to start taking concrete steps towards realising this particular self-image, and you will probably find your self-loathing decreases the more you do so.

>there is a lot of bullshit about following your dreams. i have no idea what the fuck this even means to be honest. to my mind, it is that whole ideal self-image thing. generally people will throw a lot of advice at you, shit like follow your dreams, take up lifting, stop being a pussy blah blah blah. that's all completely fucking useless because it's completely fucking general. so stop dealing in amorphous generalities and deal in the specifics that actually matter to you, and get you closer to this inner ideal. you can go online and find all sorts of useful advice on organising your life and work patterns to get shit done. use those approaches to get things done that matter to you.

>i have a science degree. i don't know why the fuck i even bothered. i don't tell people i have it, i don't think about it, i have never used it professionally. it was the biggest waste of years of my life ever, because it was chasing a non-specific, amorphous ideal. when i went back to university as an adult, i fucked out my first semester, re-grouped and finished the second (maths and science papers) with As and B+s. i looked at my results and felt not a thing. no sense of accomplishment, nothing. dead inside. because at a very important, fundemental level it meant nothing to me. if i had been more self-aware i would have left right then and pursued the aformentioned secret ideal.

>maybe this is useful advice. maybe not.
>>
>>30372574
A specific timeframe would be nice. A while could mean 2 hours or 2 weeks.
>>
>>30372622
Like 9 weeks senpai
>>
>>30372631
Well shit. Doctor's won't just hold somebody there that long just because. Your parents could have been making the decision as to whether or not you were released, but I honestly can't say. You should check and see, but I'd imagine you are fine if they released you and said nothing was wrong with you.
>>
>>30372663
It was my parents holding me there, I know that for a fact, they were trying to find a boarding school for me so they used the hospital as a place to keep my until they found out how to offload me for good
>>
>>30372697
your parents fucking suck. remember this when they come to retire.
>>
>>30372146
https://youtu.be/KxGRhd_iWuE

bump for interest and inspirational japanese dude
>>
>>30372146
First off, 4chan is wrong place to ask for help (/k/ may suffice)

It is a battle anon, but nothing good comes easy.

You won't lose your rights simply for being committed, but that also depends on the circumstances.

Honestly the less you talk about it the better, (the firearms, not the suicide). If you are going to talk to a therapist, talk about your issues, not about your fucking guns (that simple).

Don't kill yourself OP, let me try to phrase this in a /k/ way.

If you kill yourself now, you negate the future possibility to fire or possess any the guns you have not past or presently done so. Succinct enough?

Get help and good luck OP, sincerely.

I fight the frowny-faces too OP, yes I do
>>
>>30373065
this is for anyone who can answer

if I'm involuntarily committed for 14 days, how long after that will I lose my right to own a gun? Will I be released and then have the right? Will I need to go to court or a psychiatrist to be diagnosed as not a threat or a danger?
>>
>>30372146
Literally do anything other than suicide if you actually consider it.
Risk your life the fun way instead of losing it the sad way.
>>
>>30373156
>if I'm involuntarily committed for 14 days
I tried to answer this earlier, but I really don't know.

I know for a fact the 72 hour hold will not effect your rights unless you live in a fag state. However, and this is anecdotal so take it with a grain of salt, a friend of mine has been in the psych ward for a 14 day hold and he still has his gun rights. He has never owned guns, but that's what he told me. I sort of believe him, but then again I really have no idea since he doesn't have guns anyway.

Sorry for basically not answering your question, but I would imagine that you would still have your rights. Again, take that with a grain of salt, but I find it hard to believe a board of doctor's can take away your firearm rights. If you were committed in court then that would be different. If anything just call the police in your town and see if they run your name if it comes up as you not being able to buy a gun.

You could just go fill out a 4473 and see if you can buy a gun, I don't think you'll get arrested if you get denied, but somebody might come talk to you.
>>
>>30372146
>clearly mentally ill
>still can buy a gun

MURRIKKKKKA
>>
>>30372597
I appreciated that, thanks for the helpful pasta.
>>
>>30373911
Nigger fuck you.

Do you know how fucked up civil war vets must have been? Or WWI vets? Or WWII vets? They were still allowed to own guns, and were the most qualified to, why should that change?
>>
>>30373874
A lot of people have told me they can send someone to talk to me. Can someone explain that to me? what will happen? what will they say? What should I do if they come? I'm just so confused about that idea.
>>
>>30372146
Unless they change the laws, even Congress can't force a doctor to reveal your medical history.
>>
>>30373990
I mean if you get denied and somebody comes to talk to you just tell them exactly your case.

You wanted to buy a gun and you didn't know that your firearm rights were revoked. Just be polite.
>>
>>30374014
Oh no I mean they said they'll send someone to talk to me if they were worried if I was OK. Like if they thought I was really suicidal and they wanted to check on me. That's different.
>>
>>30374053
Who the hell is going to send anybody at that point? At this point I don't know what you're referring to.

If you mean if you walk in there looking like you're going to walk into the parking lot and swallow a round then maybe the clerk might deny your sale, but as far as if they're going to send anybody; As in they call the police and say "this dude looks like he's about to jump off a bridge and he was talking about that feeling his has because he doesn't have a gf" then maybe.

What I'm talking about is if you get denied through nics, they might have somebody talk to you.
>>
>>30372443
>Personally, I'd suggest finding a good church and talking to a pastor. See if the church has an adult activity group, or a grief share group, or any kind of social activity focused on adults. Good pastors are a lot like psychologists, except Bibles instead of drugs. A lot of mental issues can be overcome by adjusting your philosophy and outlook on the world, and since you're in Texas I strongly recommend checking into that before trying anything that will give you a medical history the government can use against you.

Solid advice, OP. If you can get away with not using drugs I'd do that. From my limited experience, folks who use drugs (prescribed or otherwise) to fix themselves up wind up either dependent on the drug to have a semi-functional life, or riding ups and downs as shrinks adjust medications on the fly.

Bear in mind that the effectiveness of those drugs is not based on solid knowledge, but rather scientific studies that go along the lines of "A bunch of people we tried this on seemed to get better, or at least better enough to get us past a shitty peer review process and the FDA"
Fun fact: more than half of those scientific studies are just plain wrong.

Honestly i think it likely only takes one antigun psychologist to strip you of your constitutional rights.
>>
>>30374081
OK. I wasn't talking about that. Sorry.
>>
>>30373955
happy to help.

james clear is really useful for advice on getting shit done. taught me that successful people aren't so because of magic. almost everyone has some kind of system that they follow to get stuff done, and getting stuff done is important. what they get done is what they think is important to them. not some generic cheerleading bullshit faggotry just because.

case in point, i found that website because a highly successful person that i follow on facebook reccomended it. and a whole other bunch of life-coaching resources. this guy uses them, and he is the absolute top of his field (strength and conditioning coach at the world championship and olympic level).
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.