[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
does /k/ ever feel sad thinking about how close melee combat
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5
File: tumblr_inline_mxybtzhwSD1r4xj1z.gif (1022 KB, 500x210) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_inline_mxybtzhwSD1r4xj1z.gif
1022 KB, 500x210
does /k/ ever feel sad thinking about how close melee combat was destroyed with the introduction of modern firearms?
>>
>>30371603
Fuck no. With the modern workload I don't have time to be fucking around with an duels or defending myself in a lengthy sword battle with some nog. I'd rather quickdraw my sidearm and be done with it so I can make dinner and get 2 hours of free time before I have to hit the hay.
>>
>>30371660
your ancestors died drawing blades together against foes and for what, your 2 hours of fapping to anime? i hope you get axed in your sleep for showing such a lack of pride.
>>
I like how even the fittest and best trained fighting men can be easily killed by some idiot gangbanger with a gun.
>>
>>30371694

he was obviously being sarcastic you autist
>>
Close melee combat was never a thing

Warriors seeking glory on the battlefield with one on one combat were cut down by honorless death machines like the phalanx and later the legion. Not to mention cavalry and literally all the ranged weapons
>>
File: AlecNewman.jpg (20 KB, 400x382) Image search: [Google]
AlecNewman.jpg
20 KB, 400x382
>yfw in the future personal force fields become a thing and warfare reverts to hand to hand combat with knives and swords
>>
File: image11.gif (24 KB, 200x272) Image search: [Google]
image11.gif
24 KB, 200x272
>>30371603
Absolutely not. Look at any of the skeletal remains recovered from old battlefields. Melee combat was a savage, brutal, and gruesome affair. You also get to see and hear your opponent scream and struggle as you shove your dagger into his armpit or into his eye socket.
I don't get how that kind of fighting ever ended up viewed as romantic or honorable.
>>
>>30371850
Any wound suffered in the front of one's body is honorable.
>>
>>30371844
As stupid as this is, I like sci-fi settings like this.
>>
>>30371875
It's irrelavent how honorable it is when a man-at-arms nails you in the back of the head with a halberd instead of the front. Your brains are jellied either way.
>>
>>30371875
Then you can die honorably, and I'll shoot my opponent in the back before going home
>>
File: Ork_Nobs_Charge.jpg (353 KB, 1107x980) Image search: [Google]
Ork_Nobs_Charge.jpg
353 KB, 1107x980
>>30371844
40ks justification for melee is kinda fun, that there are fuck huge bullet eating griblys that like to eat you in melee, and you can bomb shit from orbit super easy, so you only really deploy troops to places you want intact. So you gotta expect defending static trenches and forts, that means shit rushing at you, that means you gotta be good at brawling.

It makes sense, if you don't think about it.
>>
>>30371694
Calm down man they wished they had anime to fap to.
>>
>>30371794
on /k/ everyone is an autist you fucking autist
>>
>>30372035
All's fair in war
>>
File: 597Cq6w.jpg (764 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
597Cq6w.jpg
764 KB, 2048x1536
>>30371844
how are we going to fight hand-to-hand if we're each in a force field?

god i hate summer.

im just all broken up about how killing has lost its romance. fuck you, asshole.
>>
>>30372138
Force feild bubble is projected from a fixed spot, and creates a bubble that stops fast moving high energy things, but conforms around slow moving static thinngs so you can walk through a door way or sit on a chair. Or even enter and exit a compound with a projected sheild. Other wise it might as well be a giant steel ball around you.

So a sneaky beaky can get close, slip into the force feild and stab someone in the gut with a knife.

God I hate summer fags with no imagination.
>>
>>30372138
Those guns are so fucking cool.
They get tested where I work.
One of the guns got destroyed after it shot a target down and got hit by the falling scrap.
Firefighters couldn't extinguish because 25mm (or is it just 20mm, i forget) was cooking off randomly all night.
>>
>>30372213
This is pretty much how it works in Dune.
>>
>>30372078
The motto of Warhammer 40k:
"It makes sense, if you don't think about it."

Comedy gold.
>>
>>30371776
this. The gun is the great equalizer op, live it up
>>
>>30371694
I like how you ask "for what" as if warfare and random duels didn't happen for all kinds of stupid shit that didn't much matter in the lives of the fighting man. Just like today.

Its fun to fuck around and romanticize stupid shit though. Go to a hockey game and kick on of the players in the chest, see how sad you are then
>>
>>30371776
>day freedom get

Same shit back then too though. Random spear, javelin, arrow, gopher hole etc and that was the end of all that training
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.