[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does Buffer Assembly Brand Matter?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5
File: RifleBufferKit.png (48 KB, 357x317) Image search: [Google]
RifleBufferKit.png
48 KB, 357x317
CS rep told me the buffer/spring/extension are made by DPMS and High Standard (Both of which are pretty low end manufacturers IMO)

Does it really matter?
>>
>>30370756
as long as its not some random shit from china, no it doesnt matter.
>>
>>30370756
I really only worried about it when I was making an AR pistol. Some tunes don't fit the sig brace well. I went with one from Midwestern (I think that's the brand) because they had it measured out exactly for the brace.

I also used a heavier buffer since I was using a shorter barrel.
>>
>>30370756
Extension is fine, sometimes the finish can be janky but it's a fucking tube, if it screws in then call it good.

Spring isn't really that big, it's a wear item that'll get swapped out eventually anyway.

If it's a 6 position carbine extension then ditch the stock buffer and get an H-Buffer just because that's what the military uses and it's a cheap way to fix some function and premature wear issues shooting a lot of milsurp 5.56.

Ignore if you're building a rifle.
>>
File: 20%22w:collapsable .jpg (71 KB, 799x362) Image search: [Google]
20%22w:collapsable .jpg
71 KB, 799x362
>>30370877
It's gonna be a 20" w/rifle length gas.

The real question is whether or not I can run a carbine buffer tube and carbine weight buffer with a 20" setup.

I assumed no, but research has revealed some disagreement.
>>
File: vl2011_0230_270-tfb.jpg (90 KB, 695x900) Image search: [Google]
vl2011_0230_270-tfb.jpg
90 KB, 695x900
>>30371478
Yes, don't go heavy if you have a rifle gas system.

Carbine length and carbine weight is fine, it works just peachy for the Canadians.
>>
>>30371722
Here's the thing though, and it's starting to piss me the fuck off.

If you look up dwell times as well as total pressure in the rifle's system, rifle length setups have the longest dwell time and lowest overall pressure.(makes sense, longest gas tube)

BUT WHY THE FUCK ARE RIFLE BUFFERS SO HEAVY?! If you've got low pressure and long dwell time, why is the buffer 5oz? It's making my goddamn head hurt.
>>
>>30371722
This.

We use H2 buffers in both our C7A2s and C8A3s. The new IURs use H3 buffers because of the monolithic uppers.
>>
>>30371722
>>30372170

Yeah, it would appear that the H2 is closest to rifle buffer weight. I'll probably end up going H2.

I still dont fucking understand the need for a heavier buffer in a longer gas system.

Not disagreeing, just dont understand.
>>
>>30371936
Simple, they have a lower spring rate than a carbine extension.
>>
File: imAdipshit.jpg (76 KB, 455x550) Image search: [Google]
imAdipshit.jpg
76 KB, 455x550
>>30372249
Meaning full length rifles run with lower power buffer springs?
>>
>>30372309
9.5-9.7 inches for the rifle length tube.

7.5 inches for the carbine length tube.

Rifle spring is 12.75", carbine spring is 10.5".

Yes, rifle spring has lower power (spring rate), carbine spring has higher.
>>
File: TCTU.gif (383 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
TCTU.gif
383 KB, 1280x720
>>30373010
Gotcha.

Many thanks /k/, lot of good info.

Both on the original question and the other shit I didnt know.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.