[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/k/, why are there never any crossbow threads? Are they just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9
File: MK-150A1.jpg (142 KB, 1039x578) Image search: [Google]
MK-150A1.jpg
142 KB, 1039x578
/k/, why are there never any crossbow threads? Are they just not realistic weapons outside of hunting? Would it be beneficial to carry one in a SHTF scenario, or have I been watching too much walking dead?
>>
>>30355814
>walking dead
>realistic weapon for hunting
kys
>>
File: 4443528812_d5ef9957d3.jpg (55 KB, 400x266) Image search: [Google]
4443528812_d5ef9957d3.jpg
55 KB, 400x266
>>30355814
Crossbows are still in use in military and law enforcement, especially in asia
>>
>>30355823
People hunt with crossbows all the time?
>>
>>30355831
Any reason why the focus is in Asia?
>>
>>30355845
Lower chance of facing firearms
>>
>>30355845
The sole focus of Asian culture is to do things slightly different and less efficiently than the west.
>>
>>30355845
Guns are not that widespread in asia, so you can shut down peasant uprisings with crossbows.
Wouldn't be an option in the rest of the world
>>
They're fun and all. i used to have a Barnett.

It's just pretty niche. though i'm surprised more Euros don't have crossbow threads though.
>>
File: Wilhelm Tell.gif (39 KB, 485x358) Image search: [Google]
Wilhelm Tell.gif
39 KB, 485x358
>>30355814
Crossbow you said?
>>
File: 599941817.jpg (10 KB, 225x225) Image search: [Google]
599941817.jpg
10 KB, 225x225
>>30355857
>>
>>30355814
>Why are there no crossbow threads?

Because nobody on /k/ hunts.
Because most of /k/ Is not only no-gunz but no-weaponz period.
Because modern crossbows suck ass and are a waste of money.($300 for a functional crossbow and $20-$50 for five arrows that can't hit shit beyond 40 yards)
Because modern crossbows are shit at killing people(a heavy slug of pointy wood and metal works better than a cut down arrow, that's why our ancestors used them.)
>>
>>30356344
Well a crossbow is certainly the best weapon in case if SHTF.
-Reusable ammo
-Easy to make ammo for it
-Quiet
-Easily lethal
-Less risks of collateral damages

The last point is important for home defense. If you shoot a thief or an aggressor with your AR-15 or your 9mm it can cross the walls and kill a member of your family or your neighbor (don't tell me of .22, who has a fucking .22 anymay).

Plus you can freely shoot in your garden with a crossbow for fun like with an airgun.
>>
>>30356344
>Because nobody on /k/ hunts.
Hunting is my primary hobby other than guns. bub. but keep on with the memes.
Besides. in more than a few states it's been illegal to hunt with crossbows with exceptions for the disabled. although they've just been legalized in my state last year.

besides. i already have a compound for bow season.
>>
File: doitnow.jpg (28 KB, 500x555) Image search: [Google]
doitnow.jpg
28 KB, 500x555
>>30356451

A wonderful collections of memes. 3/10 i replied.
>>
>>30355845
Chinks aren't constrained by western notions of "human rights" or "the rules of war" or even "its cool but impractical, lets use something less cool that actually works".

Thus you have Chink soldiers running around in Western China with 200 ft lb crossbows dipped in cyanide (and bacon grease) to counter suicide bombers, and Chink police using them as a "anti-riot weapon".

You also got to remember that the crossbow was invented in China and was basically their main weapon of war for a thousand years, so it has an image of being a "national weapon" (like say the musket is to Americans or the AK47 is to post-colonial shitholes). You can clearly see this in pic related, Chinese military and police often use the crossbow in recruitment drives.
>>
>>30355814
What's the matter, can't afford a katana?

Crossbow is for autists.
>>
>>30356232
UK here, like everything else it's restricted in the sense that you can own one without paperwork but you better have a decent reason for carrying it around or having it in the back of your car.
Also you can't just shoot it anywhere, archery ranges or private land is your best bet, no parks/back garden etc

personally i don't really mind our current laws, i wish they would relax more on shotguns and rifles but i'm pretty happy with the way things are in regards to small arms.
I think a lot of Americans simply don't understand how densely populated England is, and because of density population things kind of have to be restricted to keep order.
>>
>>30356451
>-Reusable ammo
Not quite. if your bolt hits anything hard, you'll be either replacing it or needing a new head.

>-Easy to make ammo for it
sure. but if you want that ammo to do anything more than bruise if it hits at all, you'll need more than a sharpened stick.
>-Quiet
While not nearly as loud as a firearm. a crossbow will definitely be noticeable within 50 yards.
>-Easily lethal
but not as lethal. not to mention if you live anywhere except Japan, Pyongyang or London, you'll be finding people with better weapons.

>If you shoot a thief or an aggressor with your AR-15 or your 9mm it can cross the walls and kill a member of your family or your neighbor
First and formost. no. unless you hit a stud or your house is more than dry wall, no. you'll be going through it at as well. secondly. if someone is in your home, you must always know your target and whats beyond. when a nigger comes in with a hipoint, i may as fucking well grab my saber because a crossbow is fucking dumb. an 8x3 doorway will do you fuck all with a crossbow. a gun is better in every conceivable situation.

>Plus you can freely shoot in your garden with a crossbow for fun like with an airgun.
This is true.
>>
Crossbows are the most silent weapons to eliminate traitors
>>
File: 1393957847084.jpg (131 KB, 1024x682) Image search: [Google]
1393957847084.jpg
131 KB, 1024x682
>>30356344
>Because modern crossbows suck ass and are a waste of money.($300 for a functional crossbow

I got a entry level 150ftlbs Barrett for less than $200. You can get decent 150ftlbs Chink crossbows for around $100; they still work just fine, they just have a lesser fit and finish, a cheaper bow string, and crappier iron sights.

>and $20-$50 for five arrows that can't hit shit beyond 40 yards)

Its bolts you fucking mongoloid, and they cost a WHOLE lot less than arrows because they are half the size. You can buy decent aluminum bolts for like $2.50 each, and good Carbon bolts that will last you a thousand shots (and never bend) will cost you $5 each.

I mounted a shit cheap rim-fire scope I had laying around to my Barrett, and after some initial sighting in it was dead fucking on at 30 yards, and at 60 yards with some practice I was sinking shafts into the area of about a pie plate.

>Because modern crossbows are shit at killing people(a heavy slug of pointy wood and metal works better than a cut down arrow, that's why our ancestors used them.)

A broadhead bolt fired from a 150ftlb crossbow will leave a wound channel similar to close range 12ga 00 buck; Its a 1.5-2" diameter hole going right the fuck through you. Basic 150ftlbs crossbows have been used to kill everything from rabbits to moose.

FFS here are some backwoods autists hunting and killing Red Deer with some shit-tier reproduction medieval crossbows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZ117iuRig

Here's a fucking leaf taking a moose bull.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM9NsRsrhPs
>>
File: at least you tried.jpg (23 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
at least you tried.jpg
23 KB, 480x360
>>30356493
>>
File: 1465951820008.png (8 KB, 598x694) Image search: [Google]
1465951820008.png
8 KB, 598x694
>>30356451
Dude, I've shot a crossbow myself.

A crossbow is sure as shit not quiet. The bolts aren't cheap, and wood isn't the brightest idea to use. Good luck retrieving bolts in a firefight. It's no more lethal than a 5.56. The last one is true, cause it's range is very limited compared to firearms.
>>
>>30356803

>Barrett

Do you mean Barnett?
>>
>>30356451
>I get literally all my weapon info from video games: the post

>>>/v/
>>
>>30357086

It really depends on the crossbow. I owned a Barnett Quad 400 for a little while. Shot it 5 times.

PTWANGGGggGGggGGgg that fucker would vibrate like Michael J Fox after an espresso.

Sold it. Bought a Carbon Express Intercept. That thing is nearly dead silent when I fire it and has virtually no vibration.

The bolts can be expensive if you buy nice ones. You can launch el-cheapo ones, but they will likely crack.

As for comparing lethality... Phew, good luck. So many factors to consider. A broadhead bolt out of my 375fps crossbow would ruin someone's day- probably no chance of coming back if shot placement is good. Same deal with 5.56, except you have follow-up shots a hell of a lot faster.
>>
>>30355845
Ninja shit
>>
>>30356518
>30-50 killed by firearms each year.
>2000 firearm offenses a year
>actually believing these stats would be worse if guns werent banned
>>
>>30355814
>The strongest windlass-pulled arbalests could have up to 22 kN (5000 lbf) of force and be accurate up to 100 m.
Why don't we ever talk about arbalests? Where can I get one?
>>
>>30361720
you'd have to go custom. the main reason no one talks about them is because compound systems make windlass es obsolete for the most part as what bother cranking for a solid minute when you can just use your back a bit and get the same results?

you could probably get really insane if you have the cash on a custom compound that has a draw weight of some ridiculous number that would require a windlass . would pretty much be a handheld ballistia at that point.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.