[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What Percentage Of Stolen Guns Are Used In Crimes?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4
File: stolen-gun.jpg (31 KB, 355x250) Image search: [Google]
stolen-gun.jpg
31 KB, 355x250
I was discussing crime and related issues in another forum and tried looking up the statistics for the number or percentage of stolen guns used in crimes in the U.S. and discovered…. I can’t find the info.

One would think this statistic would be readily available and easily found and while a search for “stolen guns used in crimes statistics” turns up all kinda links, NONE of them actually provide any kinda number, (particularly links from government websites like the Dept.of Justice…) instead going off on a tangent about the types of guns or even the calibers that criminals prefer and other irrelevancies.

Does anybody have a link (from a reputable source) that straight-up says how many or what percentage of stolen guns are used in crime in the U.S.?
>>
>>30353112
The government isn't allowed to get crime stats like that anon. It's against the law for them
>>
100% because stealing is a fucking crime.
>>
>>30353174
this
being in possession of a stolen firearm is a felony
this belongs in QTDDTOT
>>
>>30353135
>The government isn't allowed to get crime stats like that anon.

It sure seems that way...

The Dept.of Justice website goes on and on about tangential bullshit but apparently nowhere do they flat-out state how many or what percentage of stolen guns are used in crime.

You'd think this state would front-and-center?

Meanwhile, I'm arguing with morons who insist that criminals are buying their guns from mom & pop gun stores and via the "gun show loophole" and of course, we need all kinda gun control to solve this growing problem...
>>
>>30353174
>All stolen guns are available to criminals by definition.
http://www.bjs.gov/content/pub/pdf/GUIC.PDF

truth
>>
>>30353228
>All stolen guns are available to criminals by definition.

No shit, but HOW MANY are actually used in crime?
>>
>>30353174
>100% because stealing is a fucking crime.

I'm not asking about gun theft statistics, I'm asking how many stolen guns are used in crimes compared to legally owned guns used in crime.
>>
>>30353236
>>30353112

It is very difficult to estimate for a few reasons.

No one has a very good idea of how many firearms are stolen each year in the USA or have been stolen previously

A very significant percentage of those firearms that have been used in crimes, are either not found or are found and cannot have their history determined in any meaningful way.

Any figure would really be a best guess and likely to be wrong by large margin.
>>
File: not shit Sherlock.jpg (29 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
not shit Sherlock.jpg
29 KB, 480x270
>>30353271
>It is very difficult to estimate for a few reasons.

Except it's not difficult;

> Criminal commits a crime using a gun
> The criminal is caught by the police
> The gun is recovered by the police
> The police run the serial number
> The gun is either stolen or not

Sure, this doesn't address EVERY crime, as either the crook isn't caught or the gun isn't recovered or the gun was never reported stolen or the crime isn't even reported by the victim, but in those cases where the crooks are caught red handed, it should be no problem at all to list how many of the guns used were originally legally purchased and later stolen.

Clearly the FBI, Justice Dept., etc. have the numbers somewhere, as they're providing numbers on what kinda gun was used in the crime and even what caliber and such.
>>
>>30353112

>percentage of stolen guns used in crimes in the U.S.

100% are used in theft.
>>
>>30353271
>No one has a very good idea of how many firearms are stolen each year in the USA or have been stolen previously
>About 1.4 million firearms were stolen during household burglaries and other property crimes over the six-year period from 2005 through 2010, according to a report released today by the Justice Department’s Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS). This number represents an estimated average of 232,400 firearms stolen each year— about 172,000 stolen during burglaries and 60,300 stolen during other property crimes.

>About three out of four household property crimes involving stolen firearms occurred in households headed by white non-Hispanic persons.

>About three out of four household property crimes involving stolen firearms occurred in households headed by white non-Hispanic persons.

don't be white and live in the country if you don't want your guns stolen
>>
>>30353475
>About 1.4 million firearms were stolen during household burglaries and other property crimes over the six-year period from 2005 through 2010, according to a report released today by the Justice Department’s Bureau of Justice Statistics (BJS). This number represents an estimated average of 232,400 firearms stolen each year— about 172,000 stolen during burglaries and 60,300 stolen during other property crimes.

This is just copypasta from the Justice Dept. website, which as I mentioned in my OP, makes no mention of how many or what percentage of stolen guns are later used in crime.
>>
>>30353503
yeah, because it's a replay to saying there's no idea of how many guns are stolen each year
>>
>>30353531

Except is literally does just that;

> This number represents an estimated average of 232,400 firearms stolen each year
>>
>>30353432
>stolen gun
>serial number
>>
File: GunFactsl.jpg (160 KB, 894x418) Image search: [Google]
GunFactsl.jpg
160 KB, 894x418
4% of guns used in crime were obtained legally.

This number varies some depending on who you ask and exactly how they define things.

Mostly all are normal people that get mad at someone and grab their guns and shoot somebody. First time criminals as opposed to career criminals that of course, never buy guns legally.
>>
>>30353225
There was a law passed a ways back which forbids a lot of branches of the government from spending tax payer dollars on studies of the negative impact guns have on society. The logic was that such studies were inherently bias as when you pay someone to find a problem with something, they usually do. They DID do a study before the law passed though and it found no positive or negative impacts and that old study is what's still used to this day
>>
Op,

You can trying digging through this mess but I am not sure even they know the exact answer to you question.

https://search.usa.gov/search?query=percentage+of+stolen+guns+used+in+crime&op=Search&affiliate=atf

http://extranosalley.com/percent-of-stolen-guns-used-in-crime/
>>
File: 1632.gif (15 KB, 526x489) Image search: [Google]
1632.gif
15 KB, 526x489
>>30353112
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.