[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your opinion of the RIP round?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8
What's your opinion of the RIP round?
>>
Basically just a frangible round.
>>
>>30353098
DELETE THIS
>>
>>30353098
don't ballistic gel tests show it's shit?
>>
>>30353098
the gimmick lord of ammo
>>
>>30353098
1010 ammo. Would operate with.
>>
>>30353107
wtf is with this meme?
>>
tacticool/10
>>
>>30353121
>ballistic gel

Gross.

OP I'm a nurse and this would be a bitch to pull out of somebody.
>>
>>30353106
>>30353121
>>30353158

the whole point of a hollow point (pun?) is to assist in transfer of kinetic energy. when the round comes apart, you're bleeding off energy into those separate pieces flying around and not into the surround tissue. also, as the main body of your projectile begins to lose mass, you start to encounter all sorts of problems.

these stupid meme bullets used by people with little to zero knowledge about ballistics.
>>
I'd really need to see some real world "tests" before being sure about it either way.
>>
>>30353327
Don't listen to this guy, he doesn't know what he's talking about
By splitting into multiple parts, surface area is increased, and therefore more energy will be transferred to whatever is being hit.
>>
>>30353098
Its pretty weaksauce, the rounds are very light already the segments break off very early and dont penetrate far enough to do anything to humans with reliability. The core that travels on is then non expanding and light, doesn't travel very far and leaves a very small temporary and permanent cavity.

You would be far better off with something like Hornady Critical Duty ammo. Which creates a larger temporary and permanent cavity with more penetration and with a much large total amount of energy as well.
>>
>>30353370
There is only so much energy to be transferred, if the round stops in the target then it has transferred all its energy. Making the round burn up significant amounts of its total energy early on in the penetration is a bad thing, not a good thing.

Which is why traditional expanding hollow point designs are better, they only expand after an inch or two and then really start dumping all their energy into a hydrostatic shock wave.

If more surface area was best why not use the king of surface area, use CCI ratshot pistol rounds.
>>
>>30353098
it's like one level above less-lethal rubber bullets but still below full on lethal lead slugs
>>
>>30353327
>>30353370

He also made a retarded 'pun' joke that im certain isn't really a pun at all.
>>
It's gimmicky shit. For the price of one box of SHIT rounds you could buy two boxes of Hornady Critical duty HPs or Speer Gold dots that have been proven time and time again to kill motherfuckers deader than shit.
>>
>>30353370

idiot. more total energy? yes, but less energy concentrated into smaller area of effect allowing for rapid fluid displacement and possibly remote wounding mechanisms through hydrostatic shock, all fucked up if you "spread out" where the energy is being transferred as you reduce it's transfer rate and efficiency

>>30353436

making a round lose it's energy like that early on IS a bad thing, because it reduces bullet mass too early, spreads out the area in which the energy absorbed (read above) and cuts down on penetration.

>>30353445

fuck off kid (pun?)
>>
>>30353527

>HYDROSTATIC SHOCK MEME

>FROM PISTOLEROS

O the laffs
>>
>>30353436

also, FYI hydro static shockwave isn't how that works. you're thinking of temporary cavity. hydrostatic is a remote wounding mechanism caused by a pressure differential in the thoracic cavity that creates neurological damage.

to even do this, you need to have a BARE MINIMUM of 300ft lbs transferred into thoracic cavity, which, with a roughly 60% transfer rate on many bullets, will take at least 500 ft lbs. to get an EFFECTIVE hydrostatic effect, you'll need around 800.
>>
>>30353534

i'm talking more about the general effect of hollow points, not specifically in hand guns. but hey, whatever tiny piece of the greater concept you can latch onto that makes you feel smart.... go for it. also

>>30353546

there. learn some stuff.

I'm going to bed.
>>
>>30353098
>XD more fragments means more damage
A hollow point would kill somebody much more efficiently than this meme
>>
>>30353534
The that super remote wounding you see from rifle rounds doesnt occur in pistols.

But you still get a hydrostatic shock temp cavity that turns the tissue in that area into jelly.
>>
>>30353098
Makes entry wound on pumpkin and EXIT
>>
ITT /k/ tries to science
>>
>>30353098
Does anyone remember when these shill threads would pop up all the time?
>peppridge farm remembers
>>
>>30353098
The edgelord special, coming right up with some hot slide jams.
>>
>>30353693
that's why I clicked this thread
>>
>>30353341
I hear the Orlando gunman used it to mow down 10 fags per trigger pull
>>
>>30353098
100% snake oil
>>
>>30354939

Well, post your incident report proofs.
>>
>>30353098
It's the last round you'll ever need
>>
>>30353417
>dont penetrate far enough to do anything to humans with reliability

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sas9N3OmuM

Honestly, this seems just as fine, even if it is a gimmicky kind of ammo. Compare this to other ballistic tests of different ammo that is (hopefully) the same density ballistic gel, and you can comparatively see that under penetration is not an issue.

>the whole point of a hollow point (pun?) is to assist in transfer of kinetic energy

That's literally what bullets do. This is like saying "The whole point of a pen is to assist in the transfer of ink."

Stop trying to sound smart.
>>
>>30353327
>you're bleeding off energy into those separate pieces flying around

dude...just fucking stop already
>>
>>30355010
The trocars have completely worthless penetration levels akin to a .45 shotshell, and the core piece is similar to a .22lr or .380 ball. You could totally kill someone with it, but not as effectively as with a JHP, especially since it costs twice what JHPs do.
>>
>>30355022
>dude...just fucking stop already
Take your own advice, G2.
>>
>>30353315
Yeah but it's not going to stop them any easier.
>>
>>30353315
>OP I'm a nurse and this would be a bitch to pull out of somebody.
6 copper shards with such pathetic penetration you can pull them with tweezers like a splinter?
>>
File: 1372654645903.gif (929 KB, 319x240) Image search: [Google]
1372654645903.gif
929 KB, 319x240
>>30353370
>>
>>30353098
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr6h44Pu4sM

this is the only copper HP worth a shit.
>>
>>30353315
>I'm a nurse
Obviously if you can't perform a simple removal like a Doctor would
>>
>>30353098
Now even 'common' pistol calibers can have WOUND VECTORS.
>>
>>30353098
shitty ammo shilled constantly back in the day. Like other meme ammo exists solely to make pretty patterns in ballistic gel to fool the uninformed. The splinters break off and barely pierce skin then you are left with essentially a .22. Get critical duty's or gold dots
>>
>>30353370
>Stupid fucking shards spin around before even hitting your dumb face
Vs.
>Bullet turns into shards because of the force of hitting your fucking body.
Gee which one is better
>>
File: 1466451108315.jpg (46 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1466451108315.jpg
46 KB, 640x480
>>30353098
All the damage of birdshot with the stopping power of a .38
>>
File: image.gif (493 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
493 KB, 500x500
>>30353288
I hate it too. Same with the >1 post with this ID on /pol/ and bane posting anywhere.
>>
>>30353098
In this thread people with zero medical knowledge talk about taking fragments out of a human body.
>>
>>30353436
This had a buddy at work just get his cc LC9 not bad and he was bragging about picking up two boxes of these for carry. It took me twenty minutes to explain to him why they are not a good idea. I recommended Hornady Critical defense, or some form of poly tipped JHP. What's k's go to brand of dindu stopper?
>>
File: SlideLock04.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1280) Image search: [Google]
SlideLock04.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1280
>>30356032
Critical Defense is just a pre-clogged JHP, and it performs like one.

I recommend Gold Dot Short Barrel +P 124gr or Federal HST 124 or 147gr +P.
>>
>>30353288
It started with this picture and muslims saying to delete it because it was offensive.
>>
>>30356153
>listening to anything the 22mag supporter says
>ever

Naaaaaah
>>
>>30356436
>listening to anything the crossdressing 22mag supporter says
FTFY
>>
>>30353436
>>30353527
>>30353570
The FBI and the US Army disagree.

See US Army 'Weapons effects and War Wounds', FBI 'Handgun Wounding Factors and Effectiveness'.

Temporary cavity means almost nothing with handgun rounds. It may increase later necrosis, but nothing that won't be easily dealt with. Some rifle rounds can produce a temp cavity of immediate medical interest. Even then, only some organs are likely to be seriously effected (liver). Hydrostatic shock is not the same as temp cavity, and is of no medical significance in small arms calibers.
>>
>>30356212
Whats wrong with it
>>
>>30357003
His foot is on that big block thing in Mecca. Very holy to muslims and putting your shoe on something is the ultimate sign of disrespect over there
>>
Remember when mods would delete these threads for the shady unpaid marketing that they are?

>>30353315
Then you'd know that actually removing the projectile is low priority (not that this would be difficult with these expensive underachievers), you're not a nurse

>>30353527
>rapid fluid displacement and possibly remote wounding mechanisms through hydrostatic shock
AHAHAHAHAHA

>>30354967
I don't have to, it's basic ballistics.

The trocars shred off into the flesh at a very shallow depth, with the base of the bullet penetrating further (and thus it's kind of questionable why this part needed to be solid copper when they do almost nothing to assist penetration)

A 9mm Luger RIP basically gives .32ACP tier penetration with the base and small a birdshot dose at the surface of the wound.
It's like a weakened and watered down Winchester PDX .410 load except the shot performs like shit and you get less discs.

I would sooner use .380ACP ball or even 7.65mm Luger ball then I would 9mm Luger RIP
>>
>>30353098
literally .22lr
>>
>>30353546
Hydrostatic shock don't even real, literally one guy's assertion is the entire basis for the theory and it's questioned by everyone else.
>>
>>30358133
Hell, TTAG's results showed a pair of .22lr Segmented HP and a Ball round out a pistol performing better.
>>
>>30356212
I thought it was because of this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHgW2z61_9k
>>30357351
That be the kabah
>>
>>30353098
It was an interesting idea. But it ultimately did not perform in a way that made the round worth buying and loading into your ccw or any weapon for self defense.

Also I'm waiting for someone to kill a dindu with this round. The court case will be a load of fun while the prosecutor goes on and on about how you chose a bullet specifically designed to maim and kill, and will then go on to attempt to convince the retard jurors that you are a sick psychopath who just wanted to murder someone.

The jury won't care about the real facts, they'll just look at the bullet and what the marketing for it claimed that it could do and end up raping you in all of your holes, even if it was a classic case of self defense. All of this is assuming that this occurs in a place full of liberals. But if you're getting jumped by a dindu, that's usually a pretty safe bet.
>>
>>30355408
>of a .38
Maybe if we're looking a .40 or .45 load

Unless you talking about .38S&W
>>
how about pic related? I thought that they would guat make it look more like a flat nosed pill instead of a hollow point
>>
>>30356032
Gold Dots
V-Max
Lehigh XTPs
>>
>>30358247
omit: guat
I don't even know how the fuck that got in there
>>
>>30355315
cawp killers
>>
>>30358247
From what I can tell, there's nothing particularly special, just another compressed-powder frangible core round with really nice packaging.
>>
>>30358281
>lethal weapon, maymay.
Pretty sure shotguns kill the most cops.

As far as the RIP round is concerned, I'd rather be shot by it than a lead hollow tip +P, but in almost every scenario, two bullets of any kind beat one of any kind.
>>
>>30358402
Sometimes you only get one shot though, bullets like these seem to focus on making that shot count
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.