[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's it like as a military officer? Would you recommend
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 600x400
What's it like as a military officer? Would you recommend a high school grad to pursue it?
>>
self bump
>>
>>30349167
better than being enlisted tbqh
>>
>>30349167
It's like being the Hall monitor but with more ribbons.
>>
I would recommend a college grad pursuing it.
>>
>>30349167
>Would you recommend a high school grad to pursue it?

Why not? Why would a college grad waste the four or however many years they spent in college just to join the military when they have way more lucrative options open?

You don't need to be a scholar to bark commands at a bunch of rank and file meatheads.
>>
>>30349303
You obviously don't need to be a scholar, but what do you need to be?
I mean, what skills in particular do you need to have?
>>
>>30349167
Did we not just have this thread yesterday?

And no, I would not recommend becoming an officer. It's shit work that demands a lot of your time, and I would advise you not to spend your college years working for something that will only bite you in the ass for the next eight years of your life.
>>
>>30349167
Just to state the obvious right off the bat,
>you need a college degree to become an officer.

Now if you are a recent high school grad, you are shit out of luck getting into a military academy, shits hard to get into and you usually have to start preparing sophmore to junior year for acceptance.

The only options to become an officer are:
>go to university join rotc, get degree with 3.0 or higher, then become officer

>go to university, complete degree with 3.0 or higher, sign up for officer

>enlist, serve 1 year, apply for westpoint(if going army) through that particular program. I am only aware of army doing this program.

>get a degree in nursing or some kind of bio science major and go direct to nurse officer or military medical school and then officer

Thats about it anon.

HAGS
>>
Army or Marine officer?
Which would more likely accept me for OCS?
>>
>>30350441
Let me help you out:

Do not be a Marine.
>>
>>30350441
First off you need at least a 3.0 gpa bachelors degree to even be considered. And marines is going to be the harder one to get in to. They are super picky when it comes to who gets to join, so u need to be doing rotc in university if you want that route
>>
>>30350441
>>30350477
And don't do OCS unless you like chickenshit fuck-fuck games.
>>
>>30350519
>>30350527
I have a 3.5 GPA in biochem, already graduated so can't do ROTC unless I get a masters and nomonies. I wish I didn't have to do OCS.
I'd need a pot waiver for like 2 times of experimenting too since lying makes my tummy hurt.
Maybe I should go NUPOC
>>
>>30350569
You do you, man. For me, shit ain't worth it.

You can't find a good career with a degree in biochem?
>>
>>30349167
Be enlisted then go officer. Former enlisted officers are usually the best officers.
>>
>>30350569
Lmao just lie, y create obstacles from you joining?

Also, you know you can go medical school route if you wanted....military pays for medical school and you serve the amount of time equal to how long medical school takes. This way u dont have to deal with most of the general military fuck fuck games, and you get free medical school.
>>
>>30349167
>HS grad
>military officer
You'll fit in great with the other enlisted POGs.
>>
>>30350659
yeah but I dont feel like learning med shit right now. I'd rather do a few years then go med school then maybe go back as a doctor.
>>30350598
Only lab monkey jobs, I really want to commission anyway
>>
File: All that Jazz.png (644 KB, 741x1014) Image search: [Google]
All that Jazz.png
644 KB, 741x1014
>>30349303
>Join Military
>Do well at your job
>Rank up
>Stay in for 20-25 years
>Leave at Colonel or higher
>now receive 7-9 grand a month for the rest of your life
>plus speaking benefits
>B-b-b-b-but private sector is more lucrative
>mfw being able to pursue what ever interests I want at 40-45 years old, and never have to worry about $ again due to my relatively modest living style
>>
test
>>
>>30351357
Just don't get a divorce.
>>
>>30351357
shooting for the middle: the life
>>
>>30353045
By the time I'm out of the Military at 40-45 in this scenario, I'd have most likely also gotten an MBA/Graduate Degree. I'd assume that most Colonels in the military have made some powerful friends by the time they reitre, and it wouldn't be difficult for them to get a cushy executive job at some defense contractor.
>>
>>30349354
>but what do you need to be?
>I mean, what skills in particular do you need to have?

None. If dumbass jocks can go into it and make a living, anyone aught too.

>>30355610
>By the time I'm out of the Military at 40-45 in this scenario, I'd have most likely also gotten an MBA/Graduate Degree. I'd assume that most Colonels in the military have made some powerful friends by the time they reitre, and it wouldn't be difficult for them to get a cushy executive job at some defense contractor.

This is more or less what my grandfather did. Retired a Colonel (would've shot for General had Nam not happened), and I believe went and got a degree right after. Got a decent job at Bell Atlantic for I don't know how long in addition to a nice fat pension. I would assume it was anyway since he had a wife (grandma) and six kids that he supported and put all through college and shit.
>>
File: lnkLVNf.jpg (663 KB, 3564x2227) Image search: [Google]
lnkLVNf.jpg
663 KB, 3564x2227
I'm about to go to my board for Army OCS.

Pros

>300 APFT
>Clean record
>Successful business management career with glowing letter of rec from former superiors

Cons

>Bad grades in college. 2.95 GPA, History Degree

It's because I was an idiot and didn't try.

That was six years ago though. I've worked my way up the corporate ladder in a leadership position so I'm hoping that matters more.

Or am I fucked?
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.