[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trike tank?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 13
File: Trike Tonk.png (15 KB, 872x453) Image search: [Google]
Trike Tonk.png
15 KB, 872x453
Hi /k/, I don't usually post, but I've got an idea to submit, or at least discuss.

Maybe this will turn in /k/ designs a tank, and it will be for the best.

So here it goes:

Independent trike wheels, why was it neva been dun befo?

> Could allow to modulate the height of the chassis, to cross obstacles, increase stability or even allow a greater range of fire

> A damaged trike wouldn't necessarily mean a mission kill or a mobility kill, since all the other trikes are still functional.

> If each trike had the ability to pivot to some extent on it's axis, it would also improve the manoeuvrability.

> Arguably better for IED blast dispersion

> Also probably easier to fix in case of problem, since you don't have to work on the whole suspension and can swiftly change the damaged part. Or even somekind of global track switching, like we do for tires.

> ... ?
>>
>>30343325

Just forgot to add that the only drawback would be that an integral drive would be mandatory, even if not necessarily used all the time.

And it would probably take more space. But nothing that we can work on :^)
>>
>>30343337
Moving from 1 to 4 drive sprockets per side is a huge deal.
>>
Seems overly complex for the benefits you get.
>>
>>30343356

Well if this permits you to bring the tank to base instead of having to destroy it, I'd say it's quite an advantage.
>>
>>30343325
Theres a very good reason it hasn't been done before.
>>
File: Special-App-002-L.jpg (57 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Special-App-002-L.jpg
57 KB, 600x450
>>
>>30343325
Trike tanks aren't used cuz child soldiers are prohibited in war.
>>
>>30343488
Its not as reliable. The more moving parts and more complex a drive train is the more likely it is to have a failure. The current systems work well enough and are so simple they continue to work. It might not be as good in some situations but its better to be in the field running than out for repair.
>>
>>30343488

Such as?

>>30343494

Nice
>>
>>30343325
>Could allow to modulate the height of the chassis
because that is totally impossible with the way current tank threads work

>A damaged trike wouldn't necessarily mean a mission kill or a mobility kill, since all the other trikes are still functional.
let's just ignore the glaringly obvious fact that each trike needs to be driven by a crank and that each crank needs to connect back to the engine
which means that one trike getting fucked seizes up the whole mechanism
unless you plan on putting a clutch on each trike, because nothing screams overengineering more than 8 clutches just so your whole driveshaft doesn't freeze up when one trike dies

>If each trike had the ability to pivot to some extent on it's axis, it would also improve the manoeuvrability.
ah, yes, let's add some more unnecessary mechanical complexity solely for the sake of adding unneccessary mechanical complexity

> Arguably better for IED blast dispersion
bullshit assumption

>Also probably easier to fix in case of problem [...] Or even somekind of global track switching, like we do for tires.
more bullshit assumptions
>>
Is that you, Sparks? Why did you never comment on my advanced BattleBox concept simulation?
>>
>>30343560

> because that is totally impossible with the way current tank threads work
Not in use on any MBT currently

> let's just ignore the glaringly obvious fact that each trike needs to be driven by a crank and that each crank needs to connect back to the engine
which means that one trike getting fucked seizes up the whole mechanism
unless you plan on putting a clutch on each trike, because nothing screams overengineering more than 8 clutches just so your whole driveshaft doesn't freeze up when one trike dies

Pic related is 8x8, and works quite fine. Btw you don't need 8 clutches but 8 differentials, learn how to mechanic pls.

> ah, yes, let's add some more unnecessary mechanical complexity solely for the sake of adding unneccessary mechanical complexity

I bet you're the kind of guy who thinks that tracks are just a passing fad.

> bullshit assumption

No argument. Git good

> more bullshit assumptions

Still no argument. Are you even trying? Btw modular changes is what every sensed engineering team has in mind when designing pretty much everything mechanical.

Also, who spat on your cereals?
>>
File: 64.jpg (62 KB, 688x393) Image search: [Google]
64.jpg
62 KB, 688x393
>>30343667

Forgot pic
>>
File: 1466436208472.png (479 KB, 1306x458) Image search: [Google]
1466436208472.png
479 KB, 1306x458
>>30343325
I added portal axles where it can pivot for shit and giggles
>>
>>30343325
give it arsenal and gliding capabilities, don't forget the stealth brrrrrrrt
>>
>>30343667
>Not in use on any MBT currently
Type 74, Type 90, K1, K2. These are just from the top of my head. There are probably more.
>>
>>30343667
>Not in use on any MBT currently
which doesn't mean jackshit
adjustable suspension can be done just fine in traditional tank thread design so it's not a design feature worth discussing when it comes to pro/con of your inane paint drawing

>No argument. Git good
>proclaiming "it's better against IEDs" with not shred of evidence or explanation is an argument
>proclaiming that it's not isn't
top-tier logic

>I bet you're the kind of guy who thinks that tracks are just a passing fad.
"NO ARGUMENT GIT GUD"

does a tank have pivoting axles? nope
does it need them? apparently nope
adding them thus is 100% unnecessary, which means that you're just adding parts for the sake of adding parts

>Btw modular changes is what every sensed engineering team has in mind when designing pretty much everything mechanical.
>modular
you use these words but you don't really know what they actually mean
as long as you're not building a dozen different design concepts which all have suspension hardmounts for the "revolutionary" TrikeThreads™ this shit is not modular
>>
File: magnetic hub.jpg (209 KB, 1600x1215) Image search: [Google]
magnetic hub.jpg
209 KB, 1600x1215
>>30343325

With magnetic hubs it could be feasible. Otherwise the drivetrain would be extremely complicated and prone to failure.
>>
File: 1466436208472.png (11 KB, 872x453) Image search: [Google]
1466436208472.png
11 KB, 872x453
Just fuck my internal useful volume up
>>
>>30343325

It's much easier to simply replace a damaged track.
>>
>>30343712
You added 4 dots and approximately 1/3rd of a cup of chromosomes.
>>
>>30343325
The only way I can think this has worthwhile advantages to the cons, is if we used electric motors one for each track. Powered by a turbocharged diesel, turbine to have as much power avaliable at any time.

Cos electric motors remove a transmission, remove driveshafts and such. But they probably have thier own disadvantages. It's like my aeronautics teacher said, unless you've creates new technology, if you can't find flaws in your design you're not looking hard enough.

Also do gas turbines measure displacement?
>>
>>30343325
You are reducing the amount of tread. Smaller tread area for a given tank means that it will sink deeper in the mud. Early Sherman's had a problem with this on 16in wide treads. they were widened on later models for better "float" and wouldn't dig so deep in soft ground and mud.
>>
>>30343500
TOP STUFF M8
>>
>>30343325

If you really want something that doesn't get immobilized the moment it loses a tread, look at the BT-series tanks; they basically replace the bogies with road wheels, and can function with or without tracks in a pinch. The stryker at one point was being developed for something similar, but the program didn't amount to much more than a demonstration model.
>>
File: 1464464248220.jpg (81 KB, 419x480) Image search: [Google]
1464464248220.jpg
81 KB, 419x480
>>30345354
>>
>>30343325
Nobody thinks they are worth the additional complexity, massive loss of internal space and loss of ground contact.

I guess I could see them being used on a UGV, where internal space for a crew isn't such an issue, but not on a crewed MBT.
>>
>>30345354
Turbokek
>>
>>30343560
People are actually going to disagree with you, this saddens me.
>>
File: 00654654.jpg (86 KB, 901x655) Image search: [Google]
00654654.jpg
86 KB, 901x655
>>30343560
>>A damaged trike wouldn't necessarily mean a mission kill or a mobility kill, since all the other trikes are still functional.
> let's just ignore the glaringly obvious fact that each trike needs to be driven by a crank and that each crank needs to
> connect back to the engine which means that one trike getting fucked seizes up the whole mechanism

Electric drive.
>>
File: MFV3Pf0.jpg (668 KB, 2448x1836) Image search: [Google]
MFV3Pf0.jpg
668 KB, 2448x1836
>>
File: 5GNCdaf.jpg (921 KB, 2448x1836) Image search: [Google]
5GNCdaf.jpg
921 KB, 2448x1836
>>
>>30354716
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tri-star_(wheel_arrangement)
>>
>>
File: 72 furhers awaits me.png (404 KB, 425x407) Image search: [Google]
72 furhers awaits me.png
404 KB, 425x407
>>30354688
Fucking jooz stole OP's idea already damn
>>
>>30354775
the fuck does this work? it appears that the wheels on the bottom are pushed against the box in the middle but that would mean the drive chain would have to rotate clockwise as to make the wheels turn in the right direction. there is fuckery afoot
>>
>>30354688
Or, you know, just disconnect the wheel/track thingadooder from power and raise it up like an animal does a fucked paw or leg.
>>
>>30343325
This was tried on Landrover 4x4 for arctic conditions

http://www.capetocape.org.uk/images/Marker%20photos/Tracks%20off/P3230542.JPG

For an actual tank the negatives out weigh the possible benefits

4 Driven sprocets per side, each needs drive shafts and access through the side plate of the armor

A frame required for each trike is unspung weight increasing wear on any suspension that it has on the drive wheels

You have just changed the tacks for extemely long to extremely short wheel base, neutral steering is now impossible without a gearbox that can alternate the speeds for all 8 drive wheels in unison

>If each trike had the ability to pivot to some extent on it's axis, it would also improve the manoeuvrability.
So now we're adding the weight of not only 6 extra drive shafts but steering actuation for each of them? how much do you want this to weigh?

Increased silhouette dangerous in any conventional war

> Also probably easier to fix in case of problem, since you don't have to work on the whole suspension and can swiftly change the damaged part. Or even somekind of global track switching, like we do for tires.
You have just added 6 drive shafts, 8 steering mechanisms, these will by necessity be smaller and therefor weaker than the current single, or they will have such a combined weight the suspension will fail.
>>
>>30354883
the wheels are free on the chain, with the weight of the vehicle on it they cannot move.

essentially it is laying it's own track of tyres
>>
>>30354909
"raise it up" means that the hydraulics on that track would need to still be active

Disconection points designed like that become the sheer breaking points in the heat of combat. well done you just crippled your vehicle
>>
File: damnation-alley-vehicle1.jpg (197 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
damnation-alley-vehicle1.jpg
197 KB, 1024x768
>>30343325
Has OP been watching old 70s B-movies?
>>
>>30343516
Modern electric motor technology could actually make something like this possible with a complicated drivetrain. You could have an independent motor for each wheel.
>>
>>30354883
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liQ_GCaZlxE
>>
>>30354790
>jooz stole

Stole it from the Nazis (Dr Porsche, actually).
>>
>>30357694
All wheel drive hybrid electric vehicles have been around for quite some time.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Snow_Cruiser
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.