[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thoughts on this guy? has he knowledge of his topics or is he
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10
File: stabbybritishman.jpg (53 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
stabbybritishman.jpg
53 KB, 1280x720
Thoughts on this guy?
has he knowledge of his topics or is he merely talking out of his ass?
>>
>>30342883
Well he has experience at HEMA fighting.
>>
>>30342887
and he worked as a crime investigator of some sort so he has seen in person what effects injuries have on people
>>
He is less shit than le british wool sweater spandau guy
>>
In regards to medieval and other not modern weaponry, he's one of the most knowledgeable on youtube.

He's gotten some things wrong but has also gone out to say that he fucked up and what he said was wrong (see his spadroon videos) and admits he doesn't know a whole lot on a subject when he doesn't know a whole lot, like when he talks about Japanese swords instead of lindybeige who calls people whiny babies and wehraboos
>>
He's better than Lindybeige by a LOT that's for sure.
>>
File: VcX52n0.jpg (2 MB, 3452x2589) Image search: [Google]
VcX52n0.jpg
2 MB, 3452x2589
>>30342883
>Thoughts on this guy?
>has he knowledge of his topics or is he merely talking out of his ass?

He tries to stick to stuff he knows and when he's merely voicing an opinion he tends to say this.
He also is honest enough to admit previous mistakes and do correction videos.
>>
>>30342883
Pretty much the "Ian" of medieval fighting techniques and weapons.
>>
File: my-testicles-are-this-big.jpg (7 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
my-testicles-are-this-big.jpg
7 KB, 320x180
Matt is one of the most experienced, and well-educated HEMA instructors in the world. he runs a business selling 18-20th C sabres and similar swords.
He also spends time in the company of people like Dr Tobias Capwell - who is, without any doubt one of the world authorities on the subjects. Toby is also someone who does not take shit from timewasters at all. If Matt were an idiot, Toby wouldnt be up for taking entire days out of his schedule for him.

Matt also knows enough to be able to willingly correct himself when he learns he's wrong - unlike other youtube history of arms types witha love of beige who shall go unmentioned, becase they are fucking idots.

He isn't, himself, an academic expert, in that I dont believe he's published many research papers himself. But he is exceptionally well-read, and keeps up to date with the latest research.
>>
>>30342883
When it comes to swords I can say he knows a whole lot.

But I personally hold a little thing against him now where he came out with a video with very wrong factual information on MMA
>>
>>30344077
and disclaimer: yes, I have met Easton, Lloyd and Capwell in person, (And Rawlings, Peter Johnsson, Ian LaSpina, and a string of other like-minded freaks and weirdoes, I should add.)

so I am biased a little. But I'd honestly take his opinion over most of the other youtube history types every time. Only Rawlings and LaSpina really match him in terms of quality, and neither of them are particularly well-known.
>>
File: Checktheselindydubs.jpg (240 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Checktheselindydubs.jpg
240 KB, 1920x1080
>>30344077
Checking these.

Also, yeah, pretty much the case. Matt is probably the best out of the three big youtube weapons-history channels.
>>
>>30344127
God, that man's face gets on my tits.
>>
File: 1465724527260.png (63 KB, 225x199) Image search: [Google]
1465724527260.png
63 KB, 225x199
>it's a 'Lloyd complains about dungeons and dragons' episode
>>
Easton's great. My mate had a chance to get some sparring in with him, says he's fiendishly good.
>>
>>30342883
I don't know enough to say how knowledgeable he is, but it's clear that he tries to be intellectually honest. When making claims he tries to support them with evidence (historical or archaeological), is ready to admit he's wrong, admits when he isn't knowledgeable in a particular subject and so on.

Also he often corrects Mr. Spandau, making him even more badass.
>>
>>30344077
>Dr Tobias Capwell
I had no idea who this was until the Easton vids but holy shit the guy is like an encyclopedia of knowledge regarding everything english and Medieval from the lectures he gives. Also neat as fuck he actually jousts.
>>
>>30344127
why does lindy always look so unhinged?
>>
>>30344054
>There will never be a Matt and Ian collaboration on 19th century swords and guns
>>
>>30343724
>>30343771
Matt knows more about medieval weapons than anyone else on youtube, for sure and he's also more modest.
Lloyd knows more about medieval society than about weaponry, when he talks about modern firearms, it's actually painful to watch and he gets bit salty when someone corrects him.
Matt's main problem is just that he's boring as hell, I'd rather listen to Lloyd talk about socks than Matt talk about swords. I'm sure he's a great person and all, but man he's got a dull voice.
>>
File: Alfred guards.jpg (75 KB, 736x732) Image search: [Google]
Alfred guards.jpg
75 KB, 736x732
one of the best authorities on english saber.
>>
>>30345641
why not?
Ian and Karl did collaboration with Indy from The Great War, so I wouldn't say it's out of question
>>
>>30345191
More historians should do the stuff they read about, you need context for things.
>>
File: 1457357085246.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1457357085246.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>
File: 1454600303562.gif (1018 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
1454600303562.gif
1018 KB, 320x180
>>
matt is /k/ teir, the ian of stab
lindybeige is reddit teir, the jason bloho of pointy things
>>
File: Matty.jpg (109 KB, 553x801) Image search: [Google]
Matty.jpg
109 KB, 553x801
>>30347293
>>30347346
>>
File: amm-2255_1.jpg (22 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
amm-2255_1.jpg
22 KB, 480x480
>>30342883
who is this guy? never seen the channel before
>>
>>30344116
I love Ian's channel, subbed after Matt Easton gave a plug and now support him on Patreon. What is Rawlings channel, and what does he do videos about?
>>
>>30347538
https://www.youtube.com/user/LondonLongsword

HEMA, Weapon reviews, (danielli last week Maciej the week before, etc), Equipment reviews (masks, plastrons etc), and silly facial hair.

particularly the silly facial hair.
>>
>>30345328
because he is.
>>
>>30342883

He is excellent, extremely knowledgeable, and fair-minded about opposing points of view.

With that said, I lost a lot of respect for him after his defend-the-french video. Not because I think he's wrong, but because his evidence was so flagrantly biased and he was so disrespectful. I totally the opposite of what I came to expect from him.

In that video, he made his point work by ignoring Louis Napoleon's entire reign. That's the Franco Prussian war, the invasion of Mexico, and the attempted intervention in Italian unification. That's three glaring examples right smack in the middle of the time period he was studying. Those, plus the shameful behavior of the French under nazi rule (Vichy and partisans), and that's more than enough evidence that we deserve better than for Easton to call us fucking stupid.

I lost a lot of respect for him, but he is very good on medieval weapons.
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.