[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /k/, new fag here - I'm interested in getting into muzzleloaders
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2
File: 28298-175822.jpg (6 KB, 460x460) Image search: [Google]
28298-175822.jpg
6 KB, 460x460
Hi /k/, new fag here - I'm interested in getting into muzzleloaders but I'm not sure where to start. I'm in Canada (Ontario) if it helps.
>>
>>30342849
Well, there are lots of different types of muzzle loaders, anon.
First, are you looking for a shotgun, a rifle, or a pistol.
Second, do you want a traditional style or a modern style.
Third, what's you optimum price range. (good traditional muzzle loaders go pretty high up).
>>
Join the Army. I think the Canadian military still uses Brown Besses that the Redcoats left behind when the Empire left.
>>
>>30342926
I hear tell they might be getting lee enfields in 30 years, maybe even a garand or two.
>>
>>30342911

I'm looking into a rifle or a shotgun, but I'm not sure what you mean by modern or traditional style? My price range is about a grand or so.
>>
File: R561120WM_StrikerFire_NW.jpg (217 KB, 1950x431) Image search: [Google]
R561120WM_StrikerFire_NW.jpg
217 KB, 1950x431
>>30342957
not same poster, but this is what he means by a modern muzzle loader, as opposed to a vintage design/replica
>>
>>30342957
>>30343153
Yeah. For a first gun you may want to look into getting a modern design. Usually fixing a fuck up is gonna be easier on newer designs, as well as the fact that many of them make use of more corrosion resistant metals, giving you a little more lee-way and "oh shit I forgot to lean it!" room.

However, don't get a gun that you aren't gonna be able to look at and want to go shoot.
>>
>>30343174
Personally, I think inline muzzleloaders are lame and defeat the purpose of a black powder gun unless you're getting it because you absolutely have to and not because you like the history of black powder.
>>
>>30343377
I completely agree with this. The only real purpose they have is for hunters during muzzle loading season, who are too fucking lazy to take a little time and pride in hunting.
>>
S
>>
>>30342849
avoid flintlocks like on your picture. stick with percussion cap rifles.
>>
>>30348145
Why?
>>
>>30342849
I started on a simple 50 cal kit gun years ago. No one at my range has ever brought a modern looking muzzle loader to a match. I do enjoy flintlock, but it's an added complexity you might want to avoid before you decide on getting in to black powder.
>>
>>30349961
They are completely different in terms of use from percussion and later firearms. There's a short delay before firing, there's sparks and smoke, and maintenance is in depth esp when it comes to getting powder.

It's just an all around bad idea. Get a percussion gun, especially one that has much less recoil than a .50 cal
>>
>>30350029
Everything you mentioned sounds like fun desu
>>
>>30350029
Implying muzzle-loading long guns have recoil.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.