[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /k/, I want to know about medieval warfare and logistics.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: 1460050835271.jpg (78 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1460050835271.jpg
78 KB, 640x480
Hi /k/, I want to know about medieval warfare and logistics. how fortifications and outposts were distributed on an area with ongoing conflicts?
>>
I only know a little bit about 17th century warfare, so that is all I can tell you:

Carts.
You had a shitton of auxillaries (usually ethnic minorities and criminals and whatnot) who were pushing carts just behind the regular military.

It's not uncommon that when entire armies got ambushed, the logistics would get lost or cut off or whatever and that armies were withouth suplies.
>>
>>30342444
It varies based on place and time period, medieval can go from wood forts to massive stone fortifications. Give a place and smaller time period since different places used different tactics and fortifications.
>>
>>30342449
That's interesting.
>>30342456
Guess i should check the singular history of every territory I'm interested in then.
but how worked the command chain? Was every Group of personnel fundamentally independant from the others?
>>
>>30342494
It depends on the place, Byzantium had suppy chains,depots carts and ship reinforcement etc. They had officer ranks and commanders with units and chains of command. Feudal northern europe untied under kings who were pretty much warlords they ordered vassals to assemble troops. Most of those troops were peasants or mercs responsible for their own equipment and would scavenge or raid for food. Commanders would be lords and their vassals in general command of mobs of troops. Often supply chains were like walking towns of whores, wagons, and peddlers of goods. Over time better systems appeared but often these armies were very small and had little cohesion. Read into anglo saxon england, hundred years war, and Byzantium to see how logistics affected armies, often more men were lost to disease and malnutrition than actual battle.
>>
>>30342531
Still going and on mobile sorry for grammar
The armies of the ancient world like Rome, Persia, Assyria, Macedon, all had excellent logistics and well planned routes with strong chains of command. Early feudal europe was more like warbands and raids, there was not enough cohesion to maintain a standing army. The armies were mobs of poorly armed peasants backed by a core of heavy infantry made up of the kings vassals. Later these troops would become knights most troops supplied themselves and collected food on the march. Most wars were short due to few funds and no organization, these armies relied on constant raids sometimes on their own people. Some kings managed to keep supply lines working but these often stopped at their borders.
>>
>>30342531
I'm on it
>>
>>30342558
Anything specific? This is my major but the topic is huge.
>>
>>30342566
Above everything, i'd like to know about distances and structure distribution since i can't find anything specific about it. guess it depends on terrain confirmation, in a region like mine that once was basically a swampland horses could't run much, so they needed to be closer than, say, people stationed on dry plains
>>
>>30342566
You ever read De Re Militarii? It was the standard medieval textbook for all things related to commanding an army.
>>
>>30342750
Castles were placed on heights the first stone ones appeared in anjou and were used to hold territory. Most war was castle hoping and let 100 men hold off 1000. Most wars were regional the crusades are an exception but most places had to return for farming and winter. Battles were few and costly and in many cases people would run at the sight of cavalry charging. Most wars took place in contained areas over castles that being said both sides often avoided swamps and dense forest. Many armies would meet in plains or areas where they could see and most battlefields were small and contained. For actual movement most forces were on foot and would raid each other the cavalry were more fear tactics and pursuit. Battle of hastings and battle of the golden spurs show that proper infantry in good order can withstand cavalry. Often the cavalry relied on flanks or enemies with little cohesion or would scare them into routing then crush the enemy.
>>
>>30342860
Written by late Romans? I have read references through other writers. I'm still a student but i recently wrote an essay on medieval fortifications and siege. I would post sources but I'm not home and have no access to them.
>>30342750
Also no one would build right in a swamp it's not a good foundation the swamp would be a natural barrier and may have fortifications around its edges.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.