[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I never owned a gun and know almost nothing about them, but I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
I never owned a gun and know almost nothing about them, but I wanna learn. How do I start and what's the best way to go about it?
>>
>>30337233
Read the sticky.
>>
>>30337233
take a class
>>
>>30337233
please be safe and dont fucking shoot anyone. DONT buy a gun without some serious time dedicated to learning
>>
>>30337233
Nogunz newfag here

I took a handgun fundamentals course at gander mountain the other day, where they teach you about the handling and operation of handguns, including some time in their virtual range. For someone who grew up with a practical phobia for guns, it was really helpful.
>>
I would recommend watching videos to start. Jerry Miculek, Hickok45, etc. All have good videos for beginners, but just seeing how to hold a gun, use sights, manage recoil, operate an action, clear a jam, etc. can help you learn IMO. Most ranges will help you if you tell them its your first time. Start where you feel comfotable, .22lr, .380acp, and .38 special are all pretty manageable for a novice. Be patient and keep practicing to get better. Work your way up. Shoot bigger calibres than you think you'll actually use in self defense, because they'll help you shoot the smaller ones.
>>
>>30337233
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COvFyw-6Fqs
Be safe out there, okay newfag? Wouldn't want you or someone else getting injured/killed.
>>
>>30337233
>but I wanna learn
Any particular reason why? Basic target shooting, hunting, defense, just curious, or something else? Knowing why you're getting into shooting sports is as important as everything else. Just like any sport, you need a goal.
>>
Literally follow every post in this thread word for word, but not necessarily in order.

At least you're not an anti I guess.

Good luck on your educational journey, hope you find at least one gun you really like.
>>
>>30337233
I honestly lurked on /k/ and watched a shitload of Hickok45. Then once you actually get a gun, read the owner's manual. The first gun I ever bought or fired was an M&P 15, and after taking it apart and putting it back together I was extremely comfortable with the weapon.

Every gun has its intricacies, but once you get the general idea of how they work and how to handle them safely, which you can do without ever touching a real gun, the "familiarization time" for any new firearm you approach goes down rapidly.
>>
File: 1460842041880.jpg (167 KB, 718x1080) Image search: [Google]
1460842041880.jpg
167 KB, 718x1080
>>30337233
All the advice here is pretty solid. I bought my first gun (AR 15) back in January and have been loving it. Hope you enjoy your first gun as much as I do.
>>
>>30337498
I've been considering joining the military and I don't want to be completely clueless about guns.
>>
>>30337721
Clueless is the optimal state prior to military training. They'll teach you everything they want you to know. The last thing you want is to go in there thinking you know something, even if you're right.
>>
>>30337233
where do you live? we'll grab a cup of coffee. if you're not fucking crazy, I'll teach you how to be safe with them, then how to shoot them.
>>
>>30337721
I kind of agree with >>30337746. Though I was not clueless about firearms before joining, I do think having an open mind is optimal. If you still want to learn, I suggest reading about some common small arms info. Examples of this are calibers of military rifles, types of firearms that your country's army uses, etc.

Basic characteristics of the M4 and M249 are required for memorization in the US. Things like overall weight, size, muzzle velocity, rate of fire, etc.
>>
>>30337233
hello friend read (alot) like any community their is a lot of info here you just need to understand it, develop your own likes, recommend you get 22 to learn on by the way
>>
>>30337746
This. Seriously. We had a bunch of city boys who'd never touched a rifle outshoot good ol' boys who had, "Bin shootin all mah lyfe," because they listened to what the Drill Sergeants told them.

If you're legit scared of them, go take a basic firearms course at a range to help realize that they're not death dealing auto kill machines and take a lot of personal skill to use correctly. If they don't have a course (or you need a gun to take one) go to a range that rents out guns, rent a rifle and a handgun (preferably 9mm/5.56 respectively) and tell the RSO you have absolutely ZERO experience or knowledge shooting firearms. If he's worth a damn, which he should be, he'll run you through basic operations such as loading magazines, loading/chambering bullets, and firing. He might even take you on the lane and show you how to shoot a little, just to make sure you're not going to blow your head off finger fucking a loaded gun.

Look up basic firing tips and watch a few videos. Don't watch Instructor Zero, or some 3 gun training videos (except for shits and giggles) because that's not important right now. Just look at basic marksmanship tips, follow the instructions, and go have fun.

Also, lurk the fuck out of /k/, and learn to separate the bullshit from the real knowledge. Welcome to the party, pal.
>>
>>30337233

If you're capable of making friends, or better yet, already have friends, find out if any have guns, and ask them to teach you how to guns. Courses are good too but if you're at the point of asking /k/ a personal thing might be less intimidating for you
>>
>>30338951
not OP but related: as a nofuns (have experience with father's small collection though) who is looking to get started now that I'm have some actual income how can I broach the subject with friends? It seems like a hard topic to bring up with a lot of them since most are pretty liberal. I've managed to get my roommate to the point where he's interested in going to a range and renting some time despite clearly being kinda scared of funs by watching lots of forgotten weapons around him and talking about how interesting some of the engineering is but that took a long time and he wasn't even an anti like some of my friends, just clueless and scared.
>>
>>30339243
I would just try to be honest and peaceable to those who are potential converts. DO NOT TRY to start a forum with vehement anti-guns if it will start an argument. You can hurt your friend network that way.
>>
>>30337284
Sticky is lame and way out of date.

>>30337233
World of Guns on Steam.
>>
>>30337233
What do you want to do with shooting?
3gun? Long range target? Just plinking and what not? Skeet? Clays? There are lots of sub groups.

If you just wanna get into it , a .22 rifle will teach you basic riflemenship. A 20 gauge will teach you shotgunning. a long .22 cal revolver will teach you basic pistol marksmenship.
>>
>>30340108
>What do you want to do with shooting?
read the thread
>>
>>30337721
They will teach you everything you need to know, just listen carefully.
>>
>>30340148
All I got out of it was
" Don't wanna look stupid when I might join the military"

and a couple folks asking if they are near and wanna grab tea, and then some other folks talking about youtube.

I did not read a "focus" for Op's question. I could just be blind tho.
>>
ruger 10/22
tech sights
GI sling
several bricks of ammo
go to a local http://appleseedinfo.org/
youll outshoot the vast majority of gun owners by the end of the process, IF you maintain a good attitude and listen to what theyre trying to teach.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.