[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/ military/careers/2016/06
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3
File: top.png (249 KB, 358x358) Image search: [Google]
top.png
249 KB, 358x358
http://www.militarytimes.com/story/military/careers/2016/06/19/military-lateral-entry-force-of-the-future-ash-carter/85884998/

>Defense Secretary Ash Carter wants to open the door for more “lateral entry” into the military's upper ranks, clearing the way for lifelong civilians with vital skills and strong résumés to enter the officer corps as high as the O-6 paygrade.

>At the same time, it suggests eroding the military’s tradition of growing its own leaders and cultivating a force with a distinct culture and tight social fabric, which many believe to be the heart of military effectiveness. Critics worry it will create a new subcaste of military service members who are fundamentally disconnected from the traditional career force.

How does it feel knowing that soon your circlejerk military life is going to be overran with people who are smarter than you?
>>
I don't see why this even needs to happen. We already fill in officer positions with civilians, they just get a GL rank equal to the military rank the position requires. Only difference is their not required to meet military requirements like pt
>>
>>30334949
You don't under stand OK. We need to turn our military into an unusable pile of shit so that we can stop it from being a pile of shit and end all war forever. Ok. god would understand tbqh.
>>
>>30334949
You would have to have a bachelors degree to become an officer, where as if this scenario played out, anyone with useful skills could become an officer.
>>
>>30335080
Yes, and currently the civilians filling in officer jobs have bachelor degrees or higher, just what do you think they mean by equal qualifications? The commander of a base isn't going to be replaced by the meth head from your local McDonald's
>>
>>30335022
The only thing unstable was that post
>>
>>30335150
you sure m8 plenty of meth heads with bachelors degrees looking for easy money. Just go to Seattle
>>
This while the Air Force (for example) is already the most top-heavy it's ever been, and enlisted are leaving in droves to the drop in leadership and quality of life.

Clearly the solution is more officers!
>>
>>30335172
>unstable
reading comprehension isn't your friend is it anon?
>>
>>30335192
The job market in Seattle cant handle the shear number of liberal arts degrees. That's why the minimum wage shot up to $15
>>
>>30335215
>Its OK, god would understand
>>
>>30335345
>I didsn't fuck up g-guys I swer
Jesus dudester it's almost like your on the spectrum if you can't understand blatant irony.
>>
>>30334019
>How does it feel knowing that soon your circlejerk military life is going to be overran with people who THINK they are smarter than you?
FTFY senpai
>>
>>30334019
So they're bringing back the 90 day wonder? Why? I would think you'd only do that if you needed to increase the size of the military for wartime.
>>
>>30334019
This is kind of a joke, it's in no way a lateral move at the O-6 level. Anyone coming from the private sector would have to be willing to take a major pay cut for a direct commission.
>>
>>30335548
That's the problem they are trying to fix.
>>
>>30334019
This is because they're scared of the Chinese cyber boogeyman John McAfee has been telling people about for decades. Amazingly officer politics faggotry doesn't actually keep America safe or lead to an effective military. They need to integrate 21st century trades you can't teach to a GED holding army recruit who beat the spread on the asvab and private sector doesn't downgrade itself to public sector unless the pot is sweetened.
>>
>>30335646
I feel like John McAfee would be an interesting president to have because he would change the way of thinking in defense.
>>
File: shrugging simpleton.gif (236 KB, 500x285) Image search: [Google]
shrugging simpleton.gif
236 KB, 500x285
Good.

Not everyone should be forced to eat shit just because it pisses off some faggy 90s vet whose sole skill is memorizing flag code and holiday party regulations.

The military needs skills.

At present, the military can't provide high value skills more complicated than finance call center jobs.

The only skillful ones are officers and they are required to provide leadership as opposed to technical abilities.
>>
>>30334019
>wanted to commission in the military after completing my engineering bachelors
>was out of shape so went into a phd program instead
if this passes i would almost definitely commission after finishing my phd.
>>
>>30335580
What problem, that an O-6 has much better earning potential out of the service and they are leaving for more money doing the same shit as a defense industry contractor? How is paying below market rate going to attract the right people?

Hey? Want to give up your six figure office job for $60k/yr and the chance to be deployed and/or transferred anywhere in the world? Oh, and we want you to sign a contract that locks you in no matter how much we make it suck, and, if the U.S. military doesn't live up to it's end of the contract you can't sue or break the contract pending litigation.

Good luck with that recruitment.
>>
>>30335765
He certainly would change how things are looked at.
>>
>>30335866
>What problem, that an O-6 has much better earning potential out of the service and they are leaving for more money doing the same shit as a defense industry contractor?

Yes, but my point was that this is the issue. They want to make it worth while for educated people to join the military. They used Zuckerberg as an example.
>>
>>30336027
It goes to show just how dysfunctional the U.S. military is when it come to recruitment and retainment.
>>
>>30334019
>aims to help the military bring in more top talent, especially for high-tech career fields focused on cyber warfare and space

Same problem the FBI and NASA are having: all the talented programmers smoke weed or are just plain not interested in working for the government because of decreased pay, shitty work environments, bad managers, and lazy coworkers.

This sort of opportunity would also draw the worst of the worst: people who get pushed out of the commercial sector, people with worthless degrees, and people who want power over others.
>>
>>30336049
I know two guys who went from the private tech sector to the FBI.

The first one is now an SSA who was involved with two tech startups by the time was was 33. The FBI recruited him.

The other was a guy who was a decent tech guy, just a bit odd. He went to the FBI in a non-SA role.
>>
File: bale bateman.jpg (85 KB, 662x442) Image search: [Google]
bale bateman.jpg
85 KB, 662x442
>>30336049
>people who want power over others.
I'd rather a talented sociopath than a lazy community college attendee who thinks the military is extended junior college (the average person in the military).

Bring a shit ton of pic relateds from Stanford and Yale and you'd get rid of a lot of bureaucratic processes that are remnants of the Col War military.
>>
>>30336172
so bring in McNamara? you realize that that would result in the mass breeding of sprey's correct? also you would have to deal with the chest thumping years later about how bad war is n'sheit and how we should only use mathematical bullshit to calculate how bad we hurt our enemies.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.