[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shtf
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: forrest.jpg (40 KB, 500x207) Image search: [Google]
forrest.jpg
40 KB, 500x207
Potentially important question /k/
How does one keep their weapon rust free from prolonged exposure to the elements?
I went on survival camp out with an airforce buddy of mine a during the late winter months this year and it rained, snowed, hailed, then rained and snowed at the same time a lot harder than we originally anticipated it would. In my bug out bag is keep a 10/22 takedown which spent the majority of the three days we were in the woods under the cover of our lean to and out of the elements in my pack. While we were hiking it lived in my pack with a rain cover over it. However when I got home and opened my pack my rifle was covered in rust.
This annoyed me on a number of levels as I always wipe my guns down with oil wipes before taking them out for an outing and again before I put them back in the safe- a habit I've gotten into to combat the bad moisture problem is have in my appartment.
Since the incident the rifle has been cared for properly with the rust removed and recoated, but I have to ask, how do you keep your gats from rusting from prolonged exposure to the elements? I live in the PNW which is really the only reason it matters
>>
>>30331755
Clean it daily during downtime.
>>
>>30331755
Dont buy shit that rusts? Dont expect Gun Blue to do anything besides look pretty?

What are you looking for here??? Have you tried putting a few coats of hi-temp Grill paint on all the metal? And are you using Outers Gun Oil, or some poorfag concoction or richfag snakeoil that doesnt perform worth a shit?
>>
>>30331809
Just using generic hoppe's 9 oil wipes
>>
>>30331823
There is your problem.

Use Outers Gun Oil, and if you want to, use Eezox, but make sure you use gloves when you put it on cause you will shit water for days.
>>
>>30331865
I will do that, thank you for the advice
>>
>>30331913
But regardless, nothing will rust if you put on a few layers of paint.
>>
>>30332004
It is just a 10/22, I may just do a shit camo job on it
>>
>>30332025
make sure you completely degrease all metal surfaces you gonna paint with non-chlorinated brakeparts cleaner
>>
On this topic I just bought a 10/22 carbine and I don't have a safe, will it rust just sitting in my room? I don't have any real issues with moisture in my home.
>>
>>30334268
>s
anything will rust if not coated in oil
>>
>>30334289
I meant with in reason. Like, if I don't shoot it or clean it for a month will it start to rust?
>>
>>30334322
it's a 10/22 so who cares but just lightly clean it.
if you run your ac you shouldn't have much a problem anyways. I live in florida and the guns that stay inside seem to be just fine.
>>
>>30334356
Well I care because it's the first gun I've ever bought and for a 19 year old kid who makes 9 bucks an hour it was a pretty big purchase.
>>
>>30334366
okay champ next time read the rest of the post before you get your min wage panties in a bunch.

clean it and it'll be fine. You wont care about a 10/22 in about 3 years.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.