[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is the best and cheapest form of hearing protection? Do
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (70 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
70 KB, 500x335
What is the best and cheapest form of hearing protection? Do ear plugs negate constant noise good enough?
>>
>>30331659
Yeah they work fine. They add up after a while though because they are disposable. I have a $5 pair of earmuffs that work better and are more cost effective over the long term
>>
Learn how to properly insert ear plugs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vHP8K3BsrA
>>
Hearos foam earplugs rated nr33

Caldwell range muffs rated nr33

=$30
>>
>>30331659
Toilet paper
>>
>>30331659
plugs and cans, every time.
>>
I use earplugs when i'm hunting or otherwise innawoods because i can put them in a pocket easily. but at the range i use earmuffs.
>>
>>30331659
Brace yourself for some real in-depth pseudo-science.
>>
File: err_protektiton.jpg (85 KB, 436x398) Image search: [Google]
err_protektiton.jpg
85 KB, 436x398
Foam plugs work fine on their own. Make sure to insert them properly. They aren't as convinient to remove and put back in (range goes cold to adjust targets, etc.). Most foam plugs have higher nrr than most ear muffs.
>>
Get NRR 30 or above and ACTUALLY PUT THEM IN RIGHT.

You will nothing to worry about after that.
>>
>>30331846
I get a shitload of those from those from work. Whole big box of em'. They work great.
>>
What reusable earplugs do you nigs like?
>>
File: Pic_4_-_Foam_earplugs_i.jpg (125 KB, 600x675) Image search: [Google]
Pic_4_-_Foam_earplugs_i.jpg
125 KB, 600x675
>>30331871
The kind that cost a couple bucks for a bottle full.
>>
>>30331854
>>30331753
Highest nrr for plugs Is 33,muffs Is 31.

Also remember, doubling up doesn't mean doubled protection, it means more like 35 MAYBE 39 nrr net. It's a logarithmic scale.
>>
File: 20160619_110210.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160619_110210.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>30331871
I really like these. Got them at basspro for like $5 and I've been using them for a little over 8months work great. Just make sure to insert them properly before leaving bad reviews. I hate the negative shit in-ear plugs get from people that don't know how to properly insert them. The INSTRUCTIONS ARE ON THE PACKAGING DAMMIT!
>>
>>30332611
Those don't seal one of my ear all the way.

And they hurt the other one.
>>
>>30332638
I have this issue. I don't know if I'm just retarded or I have deformed ears, but earplugs never fit me right.
>>
>>30332638
>>30333436
Do you lift the top of your earlobe as you insert the plug gently, careful to where you don't create air pockets (thats what makes it hurt)
>>
>>30331753
I got nr 33 muffs there are other muffs that are the same or go higher

Im pretty sure max is 35 or 36
>>
>>30333468
No, I'll try that next time I go shooting with them. Thanks man
>>
Stupid question but is there anything wrong with leaving them in for extended periods? I wear them at work and don't take them out till I leave, not even for lunch. I wonder if chewing with them in is bad or whatever
>>
File: fittingearplugs.gif (73 KB, 521x682) Image search: [Google]
fittingearplugs.gif
73 KB, 521x682
>>30333492
Follow these instructions m8. If you are using the gell type like the pic i posted earlier, just skip the step where you roll the earplug into a thin roll. Otherwise this is how you should always insert in-ear plugs.
>>
File: plugsandmuffs.jpg (108 KB, 1216x880) Image search: [Google]
plugsandmuffs.jpg
108 KB, 1216x880
>>30331659
Plugs and muffs.

Best option is foam ear plugs (better NRR than the flanged rubber kind) and electronic muffs. Get the plugs in good, and turn the volume on the muffs all the way up.
>>
>>30333537
When I was wearing them a lot (musician, plus I wore them in my sleep back then), I noticed I eventually had some problems with impacted earwax. I went deaf in one ear for a week when a plug of earwax got caked into my ear and pushed down by the plug; cleared up on its own but it was annoying.
>>
>>30331659
PROTIP: you can run these through the laundry if you just put them in one of those "coin silencer" bags
>>
>2016
>using rubber bullets into your ear
Explain this
>>
>>30331871
I just reuse the disposable ones.
I sleep with them in and have used the same pair for atleast 6 months, they don't look too good but they work.
>>
>>30334220
Nope. If they get wet they are ruined. They become hard to roll with your fingers to get them properly inserted
>>
>>30334253
You just have to shove them in.
>>
>>30334265
Ok. I was wondering if they were still usable when they lost the pliability
>>
>>30334283
They expand much more quickly after being washed is all so it's harder to get them properly seated but it's perfectly possible.
>>
>>30334253
You can run them through the drier too
>>
>>30331864

Me too. We used to have green ones but switched to those. Gotta love working at an OSHA approved shop, free earpro/eyepro. I snag prolly 3 pairs of safety glasses a year (anytime they get scratched) and dozens of plugs

I've found plugs work much better than any muffs I've tried, especially the Howard Leight orange ones Walgreens sells, though as mentioned above they're a bitch to take out and put back in repeatedly

I was disappointed when I got my first earmuffs, the HL impact sports, had my ears ringing after a few SKS mags, switched back to plugs
>>
Jesus Christ are you faggots really covering your ears to shoot. It's because of people like you that guns should be banned.
>>
>>30334357
I would grab these yellow ones when I worked at the airport. 3M brand with a orange flame design on the side. I think they are called spitfires or someshit
>>
>>30331846
I've gone through a lot of earpro at my work and the brand you posted were by far the best. Super comfy and squishy, easy to insert, godly noise attenuation. Leagues better then your standard foam plugs.
>>
>>30334239
enjoy your ear infection
don't fuck around with your ears
>>
Sometimes I forget hearing protection, so I just insert two 9mm casings in my ear (with the back going inside). It fits just right.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.