[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /k/ think of the F-35?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5
File: F35bingo.jpg (173 KB, 1024x905) Image search: [Google]
F35bingo.jpg
173 KB, 1024x905
What does /k/ think of the F-35?
>>
>>30330991

I don't.
>>
Garbage
>>
>>30331040
Well gents, we've hit the center square.
>>
>>30330991

The biggest problem with the JSF program was simply that the initial goals were unrealistic. The idea that you could make three different fighters, one CTOL, one CATOBAR, and one STOVL and get 80% parts commonality between them was ludicrous. If the initial goal have been more realistic, say 20%, then the entire process could have been smoother, and faster.
>>
>>30331189
I'll agree on the original time frame they guestimated. But your other claims are pretty well by really.
>>
>>30331512
"pretty stupid in reality."
DYAC
>>
>>30330991
What is the proposed use already ?

>No gun
Not a problem if it's just a taxi for bvs missile

>Shitty payload
So it's not a missile taxi... or at least not a very effective one.

>Stealth
Always good if going deep above enemy territory.

>Shitty range
... it can still be useful as a short-range interceptor with long-range missile, I guess.
Though a land-based system might be more cost effectivt for that.

>VERY expensive R&D
Although final price will depend on the number to be built, we maybe should go with that land-base system.

>Rafale
Maybe there's a reason the french can't sell any of their high-tech plane who's already 15 years old.
>>
>>30331695
A has a gun, B/C a missionized gun pod, and the ammo is optimized for light armor and below.

Carries as much as an F-16 in full stealth, and more than everything but the Strike Eagle when that isn't necessary anymore.

Better range than the planes it replaces (50% greater) by significant margin on just internal fuel is shitty? Ok then.

The F-35 is still a huge bargain compared to the F-22 and Gen 4.5 Eurocanards.

Or the Rafale is just trying to fit a niche nobody wants.
>>
>>30330991
It's breddy gud senpai. Looked spotty for a bit but everything seems to be working out fine now (and yes, even the gun works!) and it's better than any of the """5th Generation""" rubbish either Russia or China have come up with so far.
>>
File: bob6.jpg (47 KB, 1265x550) Image search: [Google]
bob6.jpg
47 KB, 1265x550
>>30330991
It makes me tingly in the right places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jez31XaWn6I
>>
>>30331742
Thanks, based anon
>>
>>30331695
It's very expensive because that's the price to pay to stay ahead of the competition. Yes, the US could go with a whole load of other solutions that would have been both cheaper and maybe more effective short term. But now not only do other countries have yet to catch up, but the next aircraft will be built on the F-35 technology and so on.

That's what idiots like Pierre Sprey don't understand. You can stick with what works only for so long before the competition is just way too far ahead.
>>
>>30331903

>Those huge turning arcs

Is that really the tightest turn they can make?

Compared to other modern fighters, that's a huge turning radius. It really does look like the F-35 is struggling with all its might just to turn around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8n4ADkWrNfE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ih_8tfahI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CrlwxnD5Iw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVlmoNtcyhY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4m4li6wwNw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Bxrs-WXGHQ

This is proof that the F-35 is slower and less agile than every other modern fighter jet.
>>
>>30332199
It's more likely that they're flying shows under fairly restrictive envelope rules, just like early F-22 airshow appearances.

>Dat inverted 20 degree+ AoA
>>
>>30332199
>This is proof that the F-35 is slower and less agile than every other modern fighter jet.

Non of your videos are aircraft pulling turns at transonic speeds.
>>
>>30330991
Pretty awesome!

Too bad the combination of processing power and the proliferation of bistatic radars will end the stealth meme in a few decades time.
>>
>>30332972
>This stupid "stealth is a meme" meme with no basis in reality
>>
>>30330991

Seems too expensive in my opinion to be a main stray fighter like the previous F-16 or MiG-29. Things might get cheaper in the future, but I don't think it will make that big of a difference. Then again nobody is making new main stray fighters, so it's not an issue.
>>
>>30333676
Reminder that the F-35A is cheaper than Eurocanards and supermodernized 4th gens.
>>
>>30332972

>in a few decades

Wow.
>>
>>30331189

Timeframe slippage was result of Chinese hacking, they had to change some parts and upgrade a lot of software because they were compromised.
>>
>>30331695
>implying shitty range

yeah eat shit nigger

>shitty payload

hot fuckin tip assmunch, A2A missiles rocket motors burn out halfway through their max range and coast the rest of the way; the longer they coast the less maneuvering energy they have to engage their target with. So the closer you get before you fire, the better. If your enemy always commits to firing at longer ranges, you have to as well. If you can sneak in closer, you increase chances of kill per missile by quite a bit.

lern2plane you retarded faggot
>>
File: 1465534863398.jpg (15 KB, 211x203) Image search: [Google]
1465534863398.jpg
15 KB, 211x203
>>30332199
>airshow videos
>"evidence"
>>
>>30335193

Daily reminder that the statement "the F-35 is actually cheaper than other fighters" has always been based on the of a super-large buy to reduce costs through economies of scale. This isn't going to work because the projected numbers of F-35's being produced keeps going down. For example, Demark initially wanted to buy at least 40 new jets. Now the number is down to 27 and it could go even lower.
>>
>>30331695
I think you're missing the point of the bingo square.
>>
>>30335488
>Implying this is true in any way
>>
I think that a danger to the program is that its high unit price will limit international sales, make current partners like Canada leave the program, which will in turn make the per unit price even higher.
>>
>>30332972
> a few decades
> a few decades
> a few decades

>
>>
File: 1465659253560.jpg (122 KB, 736x1063) Image search: [Google]
1465659253560.jpg
122 KB, 736x1063
>>30332199
>Using arbitrary airshow demonstrations as proof of anything.

You can't be this dumb anon.
>>
>>30336001
Hasn't happened yet, in fact there are more prospective buyers than there was a few years ago.
>>
>>30336001
The only thing making Canada "leave" (they'd never fully committed in the first place) was Dudeweed's campaign promises to cancel the buy, which has been since reduced to "We'll get some Super Bugs as a short-term fleet upgrade until F-35As are in full production."
>>
File: 1462376484894.jpg (492 KB, 630x928) Image search: [Google]
1462376484894.jpg
492 KB, 630x928
>>30330991
like what I been saying for the past 5 years: if F35 was as great as they said it is, why haven't they replace all 2000 in service fighters already like both bush and obongo said they would do?
Also, why was the Chinese "F35 knock-off" fighter went into full production and already in service before the "real" thing, while the "real" thing still don't have the "software" to fire it's guns without crashing the fighter's computers?
>>
>>30337807
Apparently you haven't been keeping up to date in the last 5 years either.
>>
>>30337807
>Shenyang J-31
>Number built: 1 prototype

Why do you have to lie on the internet?
>>
>>30337807
>Undated hatchet piece meme image
>>
>>30331903
lol... sparkly ab and that weird fucking floppy unload from alpha. what a weird jet.
>>
>>30340668
wat
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.