[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you think it's possible to go completely off the grid?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 12
File: survival.jpg (672 KB, 1271x881) Image search: [Google]
survival.jpg
672 KB, 1271x881
Do you think it's possible to go completely off the grid? I'm not talking about grabbing your SKS and going innawoods I mean going ghost in a way that not even the US government with all it's resources could find you.
>>
>>30325904
Why not ask somebody who was on MH370?
>>
File: Julius_Caesar.jpg (118 KB, 738x931) Image search: [Google]
Julius_Caesar.jpg
118 KB, 738x931
>>30325917
>>
>>30325904

So are you gonna tell us what have you've done op?
>>
>>30325904
Wandering through the mountains would probably be your best bet for shit like this. Live out of a bag and hunt and gather to survive. Seems like a lower existence overall. Maybe have a cabin in Alaska, but the only areas that desolate get 10 feet of snow.
>>
Depends on who you are and why they'd be looking for you.
Average Joe? Sure, nobody is going to waste any resources.
Most wanted? Ask Bin Laden.
>>
>>30325983

How would you hide from satellites?
>>
>>30325983
Jesus Christ, I can get if a person wanted to do that with there life but I couldn't imagine my normal life then having to get off the grid and living the rest of my life like that
>>
>>30325983
I'm curious now if there are just people like that in places like the U.S. or Russia. People who have left society and returned to our hunter gatherer roots.
>>
File: CANADA HAS NO PEOPLE.jpg (160 KB, 955x559) Image search: [Google]
CANADA HAS NO PEOPLE.jpg
160 KB, 955x559
YOU CAN'T GO OFF THE GRID IN THE SOUTHERN 48. GO UPPA CANADA. THERE'S PROBABLY MORE BEARS THAN PEOPLE IN THE TERRITORIES.
>>
>>30326017
They would never get anything definite. If you kept your patterns random. Doubling back, going in odd directions. You'd pretty much be intentionally lost.

Best way to fake your death is with a boating accident in open ocean. Everyone assumes the body floated off never to be seen again. Ukraine works too. Ukrainian wilderness will be the last place to look. But staying here would be what you are familiar with. Rockies would be good. Move from the Mojave to North Canada over and over again. Still it seems like a far lesser lifestyle than anyone would be able to take to.
>>
>>30326027
>>30325983
https://youtu.be/iYJKd0rkKss
This guy built a cabin in a totally uninhabited part of Alaska and lived there for decades. The only people to visit him were his brother and a friend who were both bush pilots.
>>
File: where did it all go so wrong.gif (3 MB, 300x161) Image search: [Google]
where did it all go so wrong.gif
3 MB, 300x161
>>30325982
>>
File: 1465438051496.jpg (64 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
1465438051496.jpg
64 KB, 600x600
>>30326027
That really makes me think. Think those mildly creeped out thoughts. Neat I suppose.

>>30326068
But what about the skinwalkers anon?

What if all of our skinwalker stories stem from these kinds of people. What if they have been out there long enough or started young enough to turn feral. I'm feeling lightly disturbed now. Spook meter is rising.
>>
>>30326017
>sir, we've spotted a single human sized heat signature in the middle of the fucking woods

SEND IN THE TROOPS
>>
>>30326087
I remember that. Gave me neat ideas for long term survival and shit. Watched that plenty with my survivalist history teacher in high school. Why I suggested Alaska in my other post.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (58 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
58 KB, 1280x720
>>30325904

I think that there is a difference between "off the grid" and "ghosting".

Off the grid can be that self sufficient permaculture or homestead type innawoods dude.

Ghost is total hide out and disappear. Kinda like Saddam living in a hole in someones backyard.
>>
>>30325904
Watch some stuff by vary vikerness, don't agree with all his beliefs but the man knows survival
>>
>>30326158
I think he meant ghosting while being self sufficient. Most bums probably have as much known about them as those who ghost, but they aren't self sufficient. I think this is what separates a independent survivalist and a bum.
>>
>>30326087
comfy
>>
>>30325904
It depends on who is looking for you, and how badly they want to find you, and your skills. Consider George Robert Johnson, wanted fo sellin dat demon weed.

https://youtu.be/FOvqELsUPyQ

He hid out against a lot of odds, but he was a canuck, powered by god's own elixir: maple syrup, and he had good E&E skills. And also he raided a lot...didn't really live off the grid.
>>
>>30326263
Thanks for posting this I'm really enjoying this doc just went and got a big bottle of beer just for this.
>>
>>30325904
One word:

>unnaground
>>
>>30326686
/thread?
>>
File: 1461710661741.png (364 KB, 853x480) Image search: [Google]
1461710661741.png
364 KB, 853x480
>>30325917
>>
So anybody here taken any SERE classes? or thought about it?
>>
>>30325904
yes but you have to do it by stealing someones identity
>>
>>30326017
By not being actively looked for. Satellites are expensive assets, you have to be very important for them to be trying to look at you.
>>
File: image.jpg (91 KB, 845x495) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
91 KB, 845x495
>>30326126

Why do people keep bringing up skinwalkers? From the little bit of research I've done they're just like shapeshifting shamans, not particularly scary. Now Wendigos, that's some sp00ky shit.
>>
>>30327704
Neither exist, but sounds like shapeshifters would be far more dangerous.
>>
>>30326924
Can you do that as a civie?
>>
>>30326033
Funny story,

My warranty company had a claim come in on a ford transmission from Pangirton(sp?)

We paid it, but we had to wait for the ice to melt so we could send a fucking barge.
2500 in shipping charges, and we had to wait 5 months. The guy was happy as shit.

The other option was to fly a charter out there, but no one wanted that trip. No airfields, and again since the water was frozen over... couldnt use a float.
>>
>>30325904
Im assuming you committed some sort of crime so you should probably just run to Mexico like all the other murderers do.
>>
How to go off the grid

1. tell no one where you are going
2. drive the farthest you can into the woods
3. burn car, remove license plates and any identifying items that wont be destroyed by fire
4. walk into the woods in a direction that does not bisect or come close to any roads or more civilization for at least 3 days before making camp
5. die because in none of these steps did I tell you to bring supplies and/or learn how to survive off the grid
>>
>>30327734

Yeah but skinwalkers aren't monsters, they're more like wizards.

But Wendigos man...

>The Wendigo is a supernatural entity of enormous power, the embodiment of insatiable hunger, gluttony, unbridled evil, and the savage predator. Befitting its bestial nature, the Wendigo possesses supernatural strength, speed, endurance, and senses. The beast is able to rip a human apart with little effort, and the Wendigo moves so quickly that it cannot be seen by the human eye. Any wounds that are inflicted on the Wendigo’s body are healed very quickly, although wounds caused by silver tend to heal very slowly. It is invulnerable to most conventional weapons, excluding arms incorporating pure silver. The Wendigo thrives in even the harshest climates, immune to extremes of cold.
The Wendigo’s senses of sight, smell, and hearing are greatly enhanced, comparable to those of many predatory animals. The Wendigo can see clearly in total darkness, and it may have some kind of infrared vision, enabling it to see its prey by detecting its bodily heat emanations. Once the Wendigo has its prey’s scent, it is able to follow it swiftly and precisely, no matter how far away the victim may be. It’s hearing is so keen that it can hear the pounding of its fear-filled victim’s heart, which causes the beast’s own heart to pound with joy and anticipation.
>>
>>30327959
A couple years ago I read about these things and had the worst goddamn nightmare of my life. Snapped awake and wrote the whole thing down at 5 in the morning. One day Im going to make a book out of this, or just sell it to Stephen King.
>>
>>30325904
If you're good at finding food yeah

But you'd have to live somewhere in the Central or Central West US where there's tons of open land
>>
>>30326068

There was an article on a tech site somewhat recently on how to "virtually kill" yourself by spoofing the system that does death certificates...

They do note that once "dead" it is very, VERY, hard to become alive again. The laws are designed to go one way to death, and not from dead to living again
>>
>>30329009
Fucking government keeping the honest necromancer down.
>>
>>30325904
>yes
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_engine
>>
The US has better control of its population than the KGB or Stasi ever had. If they want to find you they will.

If you are a compleatly legal citizen then it might be possible as they probably have no reason to find you.
>>
>>30327959
Wendingos OP Jesus fuck, nerf pls
>>
>>30327704
I'm not going off of the proper definition. Just in general. Probably should have said wendigo,as that is definitely 3sp00ky5me
>>
here's a couple questions that are on my mind:

does a sat image go through clouds? either normal or IR? is there even IR on sats and how good/precise is it? surely it does not have as much 'zoom' as normal, right?

does IR go through a dense forest? if yes, can it even differentiate between a human and an animal at this stage?

for how long do they keep sat recordings? it would take a lot of space, surely they cant keep them for too long?

i think that if you can protect yourself from giving too obvious heat signature and live in a forest in high latitude canada/siberia/alaska there is no way they can find you
>>
File: hovering-horror-wendigo-art.jpg (99 KB, 400x568) Image search: [Google]
hovering-horror-wendigo-art.jpg
99 KB, 400x568
>>30327959
The eyes...
>>
>>30325904
if somebody did, I don't think they would tell us how
>>
>>30325904
do I think it can be done? yeah, absolutely.

do I think you can do it?
no, not without a fuckton of skill and experience, which you wouldnt be asking about on the internet if you had it.

it may have been possible 40 or 50 years ago in more temperate areas of the continental US that were so rural as to be uninhabited, but to get that type of exclusion now you'd need to be in Canada or Alaska where the weather would severly impact your ability to grow fod year round which leaves hunting and gathering as your primary source of sustenence.

The people who survive long periods in the alaskan/yukon areas normally have large stores stockpiled (which isnt what you're asking about) and/or years of survival experience and knowledge thay you cant get from a book or the internet.
>>
aaron bassler made it a month as the subject of an active manhunt in northern california while visiting his mom's place and listening to the voices in his head: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/29/us/hunting-for-aaron-bassler-a-murder-suspect-on-his-own-tough-turf.html?_r=0
I'd expect someone who was compos mentis and actively trying not to be found (and who knew the relevant area) to do better.

In general, I suspect that if the NSA/Mossad really wants you, they'll get you.
>>
>>30327782
>funny story.

but it wasnt though
>>
>>30329009
just register as a democrat and you'll magically be alive and baack in the system again
>>
>>30327959
Sounds like a weaboo describing his favorite anime character.
>>
>>30330348
No

If the US government wants you with all their resources they will likely find you. At least if you stay in North America, you would be better advised to go to somewhere with far larger uninhabited areas, Northern Australia is ideal.
>>
>>30330402
did you reply to the wrong person, because my post was an obviously sarcastic joke about voter fraud and had literally nothing to with evading capture by the government...
>>
>>30330451
Yeh meant to reply to OP.
>>
>>30327769
there are companies with prior mil that offer them
>>
>>30325904
Idk why you would want to man, let me tell you my story

>Grow up in South Africa
>Parents move us to America when I'm 17
>I don't make any friends with any of the cunts I meet because they all think South Africa is some fucking sunshine dumpster utopia and get mad when I redpill them on ghouls and slangers
>I spend most of the time fucking around in the woods
>Discover the fucking Katy Trail
>There's an abandoned chemical factory directly off of it not too far away
>Start fucking around there
>Decide to spend a night there, tell parents I'm staying at a chums house
>Find nice little room to setup in, brought a small lantern for light
>Not even 2 hours in I start freaking out and hearing all kinds of spooky shit
>Clutch my AK for dear fucking life
>Get so scared I climb up on top of this small 12 foot tall building and steel myself to empty the mag into whatever the fuck it is that's having a banger with me
>Can hear footsteps below me
>I'm not scared anymore, I'm just really fucking pissed off
>I hang the lantern over the side and see some gruff ass hobo looking meth tweaker staring back at me with a pal of his
>Tell him to make like a tree and fuck right off or shits going to get worse than a pair of velvet pants in summer for him
>Show them my AK for good measure
>End up leaving after they fucked off
>Sneak into my room via the window
>My parents are fucking
>Try to sleep

It's a great idea if you don't have meth addicts around and have tons of land you can actually hide in I guess.
>>
>>30330677
>be hobo
>looking in abandoned shithole factory for stuff to sell for scrap to provide meth and cheap booze for me and hobo buddy (no homo)
>stumble upon mother lode
>glassandcheapvodkaforweeks
>hear noise, see light
>look up
>faggot with lantern and bb gun is standing above us
>"y- you guys sh-should leave, please
>smell tomato sauce and parmesan, stomach rumbles
>tell the kid to fuck off, because I found the scrap first
>he runs off crying
>find his campsite, spaghetti, Ragu, and cheese all over
>me and hobo buddy eat like kings
>break into random house on our way out with our loot
>man is a cuck and says his normal bull bailed on him that night, offers us his wife
>buddy and me run a train on slutty lightskinned bitch with weird accent

10/10, best night in years
>>
File: 1465908814296.jpg (74 KB, 680x471) Image search: [Google]
1465908814296.jpg
74 KB, 680x471
>kek
>>
>>30325904
Live in the sewers. Eat rats. Slowly learn the layout of your town, then state, and eventually the entire nation. Know where you can pop out unseen and gather supplies. Basically my zombie apocalypse plan
>>
File: 1459443971227.png (585 KB, 1182x666) Image search: [Google]
1459443971227.png
585 KB, 1182x666
>>30326686
>>30326712
Someone make an underground thread
>>
>>30330734
10/10
>>
>>30330273
>>30327959
If the shit is too fast to be seen and everyone who's had contact with one is dead, how the hell is there any information about them like what they look like?
>>
File: ken-sama.jpg (53 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
ken-sama.jpg
53 KB, 600x800
>>30330384
Native americans confirmed inawoods weebs.
>>
Hide out for 6 years in some comfort
"Bismark"
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3242450/James-Hammes-hid-Appalachian-Trail-went-Bismarck-accused-stealing-9million.html

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-32856626
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.