[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Replace plastic tip with tungsten carbide. What happens if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: ELD-X-packaging-vert[1].jpg (63 KB, 256x412) Image search: [Google]
ELD-X-packaging-vert[1].jpg
63 KB, 256x412
Replace plastic tip with tungsten carbide.

What happens if it hits a level III plate?
>>
Your accuracy will be all fucked.

The powder load is specificized for the bullet grain... unless tungsten carbide weighs the same as the plastic (which it doesn't in the quantity required)

You'll end up with a tumbling mass that might not hit the plate at all because the weight is all fucked
>>
>>30319421
Tungsten is too far forwards. The bullet would be unbalanced
>>
>>30319439
Powder charge can be altered later. Assume it bumps the mass up ~7gr
>>
>>30319446
In that case, if your accuracy doesn't drop for weight, the carbide will punch right into that motherfucker.
Probably not through because you'll still have a major drop in velocity...

Depends on how much energy the rest of the bullet dumps on contact, and how spread out that energy dump is.
>>
>>30319461
I ask because the rest of the bullet is still designed to expand.
>>
The lead mass would still probably deform around your penetrator.

My guess is your round would penetrate better than the stock round but not full AP.

Your tungsten needs to be sitting in front of bullet designed to keep mass behind the tungsten, or have a larger self driving penetrator.
>>

My guess is your round would penetrate better than the stock round but not full AP.

Your tungsten needs to be sitting in front of bullet designed to keep mass behind the tungsten, or have a larger self driving penetrator.
>>

>>
>>30319442
Shouldn't moving the centre of mass forwards make the bullet more stable? After all, when a spitzer tumbles in flesh it's because it wants to travel heavy end forward.

>>30319524
I'm guessing the lead expands, doing what it normally would, while the tungsten bit lacks the mass to get much further on its own.
>>
Tungsten rounds are already a thing. I got to use them last year when I was qualifying. Supposedly they're more accurate. Not sure what would happen if they were used against buy armor, though.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.