[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I can't find any information as to what computers the military
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: saic v2 lc.jpg (71 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
saic v2 lc.jpg
71 KB, 640x480
I can't find any information as to what computers the military was using during the 1990s. Do any of you guys know? Particularly anyone who was in the military during the 90's.
>>
/vr/ would be a better place to ask this honestly.
there is no real answer either, tons of different brands and models. some commercial, some modified, some military specific.

what task specifically are you wondering about?
>>
>>30317798
Well, I'm trying to mod a vintage military computer into a modern desktop as a sort of personal project. I guess I'm looking for a computer such that gutting the hardware wouldn't be a historical travesty.

Commercial would probably be best, although I would prefer something distinctly military.
>>
>>30317770
I've seen some military tech demo vuds from early 90s/late 80s, and the PCs seen in some of those really do not differ much externally from the typical gray towers and tubes of the time. Dunno what kind of techthey had on the field, but the machine in your pic looks very much like the portable com center device we still had in 08
>>
>>30317770
Can it play doom?
>>
>>30317770
For anything computers intended for multiple purposes back then, they used ordinary commercial PC's.
Anything interned for 1 or 2 things, which was to be used in the field would be a prick since the components were (as now) radiation hardened, and had their own snowflake dimensions. You wouldn't likely be able to incorporate to much from something like OP's pic.
>>
>>30317840
I own a desktop computer I found in an old connex from 1994. It's a standard ass dell with an 'UNCLASSIFIED' sticker on it.
>>
>>30317770
Typewriters
>>
>>30317840
do not destroy old computers to make your hipster gaming pc.

plus, specialized computers like your op pic will have proprietary dimensions/ports that make casemodding a bitch. and no you cannot stuff a new PC in alongside the old, theres not even remotely enough room.

make your own case, buy that one corsair case thats styled like this, or stuff everything into an ammo can or some shit.
>>
>>30318655
>stuff everything into an ammo can or some shit.
.50 cal ammo can mini-PCs are pretty easy to make. There are plenty of guides and videos on how to do it.
>>
>>30317840

just buy a panasonic toughbook
>>
>>30318655
don't listen to this nerd, old electronics are consumer thrash, not museum pieces
>>
File: images (2).jpg (12 KB, 300x220) Image search: [Google]
images (2).jpg
12 KB, 300x220
1994 I got issued a Toshiba T4850 - with the clipon trackball on the side
>still more usable than most recent laptop touchpads
>>
>>30317770

i can tell you that in 2016 we basically all have Dells that are about 6 years old.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.