[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Semantic Arguments
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: triggered.jpg (16 KB, 320x371) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
16 KB, 320x371
Car - Bean VERSUS Car - Byne
-----------------------------

So I am really tired of hearing this argument over and over and over and over. I know it hasn't been on here since everyone is freaking out over the Orlando stuff but I had some arguments recently where this became the semantic focus. I want to put this out there to try and stop it or at least alleviate it. If you want to continue arguing at least you will know / understand.

-----------------------------

In the English language this word would be pronounced Car-Byne. Why? It begins with a consonant and does NOT follow the vowel consonant vowel pattern or double vowel before the ending or some variation (double vowel double consonant etc)

Examples: define, brine, twine, whine, swine, divine, canine, cosine, supine, etc

As opposed to ean ending words like : Magazine, caffeine, limousine, dopamine, guillotine, gasoline, etc

Now of course being the English language there are a shit ton of exceptions. But even so many of them will go towards either "eyne" ending or an "in" ending rather than an "ean" ending.

Examples: discipline, medicine, examine, porcupine, masculine, dateline, deadline, doctrine, determine, concubine, etc

However we should consider that some exceptions are due to their origins in other languages. Of which carbine is a prime example. It was derived from a french word carabin/carabine which of course did have the vowel consonant vowel pattern and would have been pronounced with "ean".

Thus while Car-Byne is more accurate in the context of English (because we dropped the second a), Car-Bean is more true to the original pronunciation and it's origin probably validates it as an exception to the rule.

Both pronunciations are equally valid and logical.
>>
>>30311105
I remember a kid from middle school that went into autistic fits over shit like this. Good work, Brock. Autism shrieks.
>>
>He doesn't pronounce it Kerbin
Jeb would be ashamed.
>>
>>30311105
people who own guns let alone pass the requirements to do so (being 18+) don't argue about stupid shit like this

Are you 18?
>>
>>30311105
It's originated from a German word "Karabiner", it's spelled car-bean.
>>
Well I don't know what these things you call "guns" are, but the only Carbyne I've heard of is a theoretical string of carbon atoms (and it's also really strong stuff)
>>
>>30311105
Car-bine
>>
>>30311289
This.
>>
>>30311304
Again vowel consonant vowel. In English we dropped the second A. So that would change the ending unless we keep the original pronunciation as homage/exception based on origin language.

>>30311349
>>30311446
Since there is the long standing argument about whether carbine is pronounced like car-bean or car-byne I figured I would shed some light on the linguistics.

>>30311199
>>30311297
You would be surprised the number of adults who get legitimately upset when you pronounce carbine differently than they do.

At the end of the day it doesn't really matter. Both are logically valid.
>>
>>30311523
No fuck you. Let's argue about stuff.
>>
>>30311585
What the fuck you little bitch do you dare think or speak differently than I do?!?! Let me tell you why there is no validity to anything you think or say!
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.