[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /k/ need some advice Recently purchased a savage axis .
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: 20160617_151812.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160617_151812.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
Hey /k/ need some advice

Recently purchased a savage axis . 223 for some longer distance stuff because I've always enjoyed shootong my .22 at longer distances. I only have about 150 yards to work with on my property so im not talking 300+.

Before I bought this gun I watched reviews and most people said it was a 1moa or sub 1 moa rifle. I've seen videos of people shooting groupings like that but mine comes no where close to that. I get the scope zeroed decently while shooting, aim dead on a mark, and shoot anywhere from a 2-5 inch group at 100 yards. It just seems so inconsistent to me, it shoots sporadically when the barrel is cold and then tightens up then gets crazy after it gets to hot. Someone offered to buy it off me for $300 if I include the scope (Bushnell dawn and dusk, cost me $129 locally). I want something to have fun with but could also be used in case of a shtf scenario. Im a poor fag so I've considered a hi-point carbine or a budget shotgun if I sell this. Suggestions?
>>
File: 20160617_151758.jpg (3 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
20160617_151758.jpg
3 MB, 3264x2448
>>
have you tried different ammo?
>>
I've tried 3 brands of ammo, no expensive competition grade stuff tho. I know no one likes nutnfancy on here but I watched his review of the axis and the kind of groupings he was getting are the kind I get, and he used a wide variety of higher end ammo
>>
Also I've tried two seperate scope mounts and scopes thinking maybe something was just keeping the scope from holding zero. The Bushnell I have on there now has shot the best groupings
>>
>>30311025
Every barrel and chamber is different. Either work up a pet load or experiment with different factory ammo to find what it likes. Charge weight, jump, projectile weight, length, and construction all play a part.

Also pay attention to stock loading and your technique, anyone who has to say only "zeroed decently" is suspect. It is either zeroed or it is not.
>>
>>30311394
I do not load my own ammo unfortunately and the only reason I say 0 decently is because no two shots ever hit in the same spot even when using a bench rest I understand that the first thing someone would think when a new fag comes in and says my gun doesn't Shoot Straight is that it's user error
>>
what weight bullets are you shooting? Are you shooting 5.56 or .223? did you tighten the base and rings down tight?
>>
>>30311025
What's the twist rate on the barrel? It will say on the barrel. If it's 1:14, 55gr poorfag bullets will be fine, but if it's 1:9 or lower, then you'll want to upgrade to 62gr poorfag bullets
>>
>>30311726
55 grain, yes they are tightened down with locktite
>>
>>30311793
Site says 1:12
>>
>>30312592
is it tula? do you shoot off a bench or lead sled?
>>
>>30312629
Tula? And it was sited in off a bench but usually I just lay on the ground when I shoot
>>
>>30312744
this sounds like its a shooter issue not the gun.
if you sighted it in sitting at a bench and primarily shoot it prone point of aim wont match point of impact
>>
>>30312779
But wouldn't the grouping be hitting in the same spot regardless? Ive adjusted it since the original siting. I'll adjust it while aiming at a thumtack, shoot until I get within half inch of tack, then shoot 5 shot groups and get sporadic groupings, sometimes I'll get around 1.5 inch group and a flyer, sometimes its 4 inches. Typically 1 out of 5 will go dead where im aiming. But the rest is sporadic? Is it a possibility its because of low price ammo and inconsistent weights or powder or something?
>>
>>30312852
cheap ammo will make group size increase but so will other factors. it could easily be the shooter, the ammo, and the gun.
>>
Buy a damn AR, you plebe.
>>
>>30313201
I decided on buying the Savage in an attempt to save money but after the scope mounts and bipod it ended up coming out to close to $500 anyways I could have got a cheap AR for that
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.