[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Complete noob here. Me and my GF are getting ready to purchase
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2
File: canvas.png (130 KB, 681x533) Image search: [Google]
canvas.png
130 KB, 681x533
Complete noob here.

Me and my GF are getting ready to purchase our first guns, and I wanted to know iif the ones weve picked out are decent beginners pieces to pump a bunch of rounds through to get used to guns in general. Were starting small, so we picked out a Walther p22 for the handgun side of things, and are looking at pic related maybe for the rifle side of things. Are these decent? Or junk? Good for a beginner?

Any help is appreciated.
>>
>>30310451

good on you for starting with .22lr, it's a great round to learn handling with, however I would suggest getting an AR and a conversion kit like one of these

https://www.cheaperthandirt.com/category/parts-and-accessories/parts-by-gun-model/ar-15/22lr-conversion-kits.do

so that you can swap out the parts as your needs dictate, .22lr for plinking, 5.56/.223 for general use
>>
>>30310478
We are looking at an AR probably in the future, but as it stands right now it looks like a lot of them are sold out locally and the few that are still around are going for very jacked up prices (guns that were around $500 or so before the shooting now going for $800+). I know ive read a lot of good things about Walther, and when we went to one of the stores near us they had a couple so we got to hold them. Really good ergonomics for sure, nice weight.

Anything we should be afraid of? Jamming or shit construction leading to damage?
>>
Also, im an idiot as the pic doesnt even say what brand it is or anything.

Mossberg Blaze-47 is what the AK knockoff were looking at is.
>>
>>30310529

the general rule is that if it's chambered in .22lr expect it to jam a lot, there's really no way to get around that because it's a rimfire cartridge

also you're seeing jacked up AR prices at the moment due to panic buying from the recent shooting, things should calm down enough later to snag one.
>>
>>30310451
If you want a trusted 22 rifle get a ruger 10/22
>>
>>30310588
yeah, the panic buying was to be expected. My dad managed to snag an AR after one of the big shootings a couple years ago, but he had to go out of state and basically pulled a back alley deal to get one, but even then it was a jacked up price. AK has always been my baby for sure though, but I know ARs are really reliable.

As for the jamming, thats a little scary. I figure it doesnt mean the thing will blow up or anything like that, right?
>>
>>30310639
Not that anon, but no, typically it'll be a double feed, which means that the expended shell won't extract fully or correctly, the new round will try to feed and they'll get stuck. Usually as easy to fix as pulling the bolt back and letting it extract, at worse you'll have to lock it back and brush it out with your finger.

It's not a big deal. How experienced are you with firearms in general?
>>
>>30310734
None whatsoever, for both of us. I definitely know the common sense shit like trigger discipline, always keep it aimed at the ground, safety on ect. Shes signed up for a class in a couple months to learn all the basics and she will be working towards her CCW. Figure shell end up teaching me what she has learned. Hard part is going to be finding nice places to shoot (we are in Michigan, theres a few ranges within driving distance, but a lot of them are pretty expensive and seem like the snobbish "hur we have platinum memberships" type of places.).

Kind of makes me wish we lived somewhere with lots of desert. Set up cans, shoot to your hearts content with little to no chance of seeing anyone else.
>>
>>30310451
If you want a semi-auto .22, get a 10/22 or maybe a pre-buyout Marlin 60 if you want to be a hipster.

There's literally no reason to get anything else.
>>
If you listen to these fags, have fun with the mag release on the 10/22.

Protip: It's shit.
>>
I think you would be better served with this or maybe buying a BCM upper and a cheap lower.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/4997/redirect
>>
>>30310884
It's not shit, you just have to get a feel for it.

You're probably jamming your index finger into the little notch on the front of the mag when you try to remove it, all that does is make it stick more. You have to push the release the lever and touch nothing else and it'll just fall out.

Plus it's not like there's an extensive aftermarket that supplies every part you'd ever need or anything.
>>
>>30310884
don't listen to this fag, the mag release is fine on 10/22s. He probably meant the bolt release, which is janky but you'll get used to it, or it can be upgraded later.

10/22s are awesome, and the new friends you make will have one or two themselves, so you can share mags. Just put some kind of ID mark on your mags, sometimes we'll have 5 or 6 different people with 10/22s and there's mags everywhere.
>>
>>30311009
The bolt catch is admittedly kinda weird, but it's not much to get used to.

Plus, it's a fucking .22, it's not like you'll have to lock your bolt back for anything. And when you do, you're not going to need to release it in a split second with one hand while under stress.
>>
File: 20160405_182049.jpg (2 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160405_182049.jpg
2 MB, 3264x1836
>>30311064
agreed, I don't even use the bolt release much.
here's mine
>>
>>30310829
W-whats wrong with Marlin 60?
>>
>>30310451
DO NOT BUY GUNS WITH YOUR GIRLFRIEND

When she cheates on you you're going to lose all the money you put into them
>>
>>30311281
Good thing it isnt my money then. Weve been together over 6 years so far, no problems.
>>
>>30310451
I wouldn't get an ak .22 but that's just me. Maybe go for a 10/22 or an m&p 15/22. The other day bcm still had some uppers and lowers if you want to go the ar route
>>
>>30311294
>we've been together 6 years

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3644405/Obese-mother-drank-four-litres-Coke-day-says-realised-wasn-t-love-husband-dropped-half-body-weight.html
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.