[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>we're going to replace your LMG with an M4 clone How
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 17
File: M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle.jpg (352 KB, 1800x1200) Image search: [Google]
M27 Infantry Automatic Rifle.jpg
352 KB, 1800x1200
>we're going to replace your LMG with an M4 clone

How does this make sense? It's literally exactly the same firepower as an M4. Same round, same magazine. Why even bother with a new manufacturer. Why not just give the light machine gunner an M4?
>>
>>30303491
looks like it has a 20" barrel, rifle length gas system, and maybe a heavy profile barrel.
>>
>>30303570
It has a short-stroke gas system. This apparently makes it capable of sustained fire.

Somehow.
>>
>>30303570
But you can put a heavier 20" barrel on an M4 too.
>>
I had heard the reasoning was it's lighter and you don't stick out as much. The SAW was a jam-o-matic. Not really because of the design, they're just wore the fuck out.
>>
>>30303606
Makes sense, the gas tube on regular AR's is intentionally designed to fail before other parts of the rifle, so if you're using a heavy profile barrel, you can get away with treating it a little worse then an A2 or A1 pattern pencil barrel. I wonder what they're gonna do about the carrier tilt. Might do like the M60 with the receiver stretching and just go "fuck it, replace the worn parts when they wear out."
>>
>sustained fire

Is it just me or does it look like this holds much less ammo then the SAW

I'm sorry but I think an American version of the rpk is stupid
>>
>>30303491

>replacing your belt fed LMG with a magazine fed AR

I'd understand if you planned this to be a marksman rifle but Britain already tried this shit. It failed immensely to the point that they ended up buying SAWs after.

You don't want to go that way. It just won't work out.
>>
>>30303671

I agree that it's pretty stupid. I don't see that the SAW needs to be replaced at all, and certainly not by this thing.
>>
>>30303617
Well you can, but is it still a carbine? If you turn an M16 rifle into a carbine and it becomes an M4, does it turn back into an M16 when you turn it into a rifle?

Also, aren't there buffer weight issues when you swap carbine and rifle length gas systems?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuiJiR0ZTAg

Why not just give your light machine gunners a bolt action "machine gun"?

What the actual fuck, marines?
>>
>>30303699
So issue the LMG role an M16. What the Marines are doing makes absolutely no sense.
>>
Their theory was a combination of magazine fed HBAR rifles and GMPGs would be a better fire support system than LMGs.
>>
>>30303699
I've put a 20 inch upper on a carbine lower and have zero issues.
>>
>>30303728
Yeah it does seem pretty weird. I think they're looking at how the civilian market has exploded over the modularity of the AR-15, and they're trying to find a way to save money, simplify logistics, simplify training by having a more consistent manual of arms, and bring in more parts interchangeability for their armorers, but that's just my guess.
>>
0331s with the IAR carry 10 mags iirc
>>
>>30303746
Okay, cool. I just have the one AR, so I've never tried it. I'd thought carbine lowers used a shorter buffer and buffer tube that had a slightly different mass depending on the length of your gas system.
>>
File: M40_01.jpg (225 KB, 1227x264) Image search: [Google]
M40_01.jpg
225 KB, 1227x264
>>30303705
Due to changing battlefield doctrine and advances in enemy tactics, our light machine gunners will be issued the M40 bolt action light machine gun. This will enhance the automatic rifleman's portability and maneuverability, provide a reduction of visual identification of an automatic weapon to the enemy, strengthening the gunner's participation in counter-insurgency situations, and maintaining a high volume of accurate fire.
>>
>>30303491
The idea isn't horrible, replace on of the SAWs with something lighter and more versatile, yet still capable of squad-level suppression. But chosing a dolled-up 416 instead of a purpose-built weapon like the Colt IAR or FN's HAMR was pants-on-head retarded.
>>
>>30303728

IIRC the Marines used to use the M16A1 in a squad automatic weapon role way back.

>>30303788

>to save money, simplify logistics, simplify training by having a more consistent manual of arms, and bring in more parts interchangeability for their armorers

correct me if wrong, but the M27 has fairly little in common with an M4 due to the gas system being changed to a piston, and various parts being made of thicker metal.
>>
>>30303699
>Well you can, but is it still a carbine? If you turn an M16 rifle into a carbine and it becomes an M4, does it turn back into an M16 when you turn it into a rifle?

What are you babbling about?

Just put a 20" heavy barrel on an M4. Bam, you've got the exact same rifle as in the OP's pic.

This quibbling over the exact definition of whatever it you call this thing is ridiculous.
>>
>>30303801
You know I was told that as well, but I haven't had any issues. I can't speak for others, but Vuuperwapen did a video on it.

I do agree that replacing the current LMG with an M4 platform is lazy. It's just some egg head officer looking to get promoted to higher ups who aren't in touch with the average Joe anymore.
>>
Everyone in this thread has no idea about infantry doctrine and just thinks "less bullets=less firepower!!!"
Let's start with the role of the LMG gunner in the Marines. The gunner is supposed to get the enemies head down so that they cannot move or return fire at the riflemen flanking them. While in the past the M249 has done this with large amounts of bullets, combat experience has shown that accuracy is more important than sheer volume of fire. Think about it, with large numbers of bullets and little accuracy, luck is the deciding factor too often. That's not to say the MG has no purpose. It's very useful at hitting enemies at a longer distance than the infantry weapons used by the riflemen are capable of using. That's why the Marines are keeping the M240G. Accuracy>volume of fire has been a marine standard since before Bellau Wood, which is why the army isn't switching.
>>
>>30303606
This is entirely understandable because the gas tube on the direct-impingement m4/m16 is the weakest link on the gun and won't hold up to sustained automatic fire.

Because hot gas on a short stroke piston isn't being directly blown back into the bolt carrier like on direct impingement guns, the bolt will be significantly cooler. This will make a difference both in the bolt's longevity and its ability to sustain fire over a longer period of time.

No matter what anyone says, gas piston ARs do have their advantages, along with the disadvantages. It is peculiar that the Corps adopted the IAR, but based on its system of operation, it wouldn't be that bad of a choice for fire suppression except for the idea that it will only feed standard capacity mags.
>>
>>30303845
Nah, it should still use the same lower, might be a slightly different BCG or just have the gas key replaced with some sort of bearing surface for the op rod to impinge on, might have a spring behind the bolt inside of the carrier. You could probably run one of those uppers on a regular AR-15 upper from your LGS.

>>30303855
I was just joking around, sheesh. The difference is in designation alone. if you configure an AR that's built as an M4 to be an M27, yeah it'll be the same rifle, but the M4 is a designation given to a specific configuration of rifle, just like M16 or C7.
>>
>>30303902
also M249s are fairly unreliable in sand, at least compared to the AR/416 platform. They're also old, so cumulative problems stack up.
>>
>>30303491
>replace your LMG
stopped reading there because you are already greatly misinformed.
>>
>>30303902
>combat experience has shown that accuracy is more important than sheer volume of fire.
Which is why we rely so much on air support and artillery to kill our enemies.

Studies done on battles in WWII concluded that an individual's chance of being hit in a firefight were pretty much at random, and that whoever was able to dispense the most rounds in a shorter period of time won. This is actually one of the reasons why we switched from battle rifle cartridges to intermediate cartridges.

With a bullet, your kill radius is very very small. The comparison of shooting someone on the battlefield with a rifle versus shooting someone with air support or artillery would be like comparing throwing a dart at someone versus a bowling ball.

Sustained fire is necessary to keep heads down so we can have time to deploy bigger weapons.
>>
Muhreens are side steeping acquisition rules. They just can't up and buy all new rifles different from the rest of the military. So they invent a new role and replace some of their rifles.
>>
>>30304067
the M27 still provides that suppressive fire, just with less bullets. I'm copypasting this from wikipedia, but it gets my point across better than I could.
>With a SAW, the doctrine of fire suppression is the sound of continuous fire with rounds landing close to the enemy. While the M249's volume of fire may be greater, it is less accurate. Experienced troops who have dealt with incoming fire are less likely to take cover from incoming rounds if they are not close enough. With an IAR, the doctrine is that lower volume of fire is needed with better accuracy. Fewer rounds need to be used and automatic riflemen can remain in combat longer and in more situations.
>>
File: t8p2i9g.jpg (337 KB, 3192x2124) Image search: [Google]
t8p2i9g.jpg
337 KB, 3192x2124
>>30303732
>Their theory was a combination of magazine fed HBAR rifles and GMPGs would be a better fire support system than LMGs.

You are assuming there was any theory behind the decision. This is a hell of an assumption to make regarding the Murreens.
>buying pistols for anyone but MPs
>2016
>buying modernized 1911s as that pistol
>buying M16A4s for the entire service on retarded reasons
>buying M4s for most of the service only half a decade later
>Initial Entry Training designed to make you a Motard instead of a professional
and worst of all...
>actually supporting the 1980's Congressional decision to continue operating and upgrading the Iowas, against the opinion of the service that actually had to operate the things

But there's one other thing in your post I want to talk about, and thats the "autorifle vs LMG" issue. The US Army went down the "autorifle" road before with the BAR, the M14E2/M14A1/M15, and giving "machine gunners" a regular M16 with the expectation that they would use theirs on full auto while the rest of the squad shot their M16s on semi. I think Army has finally given up on that path. Now the Murreens want to re-learn that lesson the hard way for a fourth time.

And as for the Russians, they have both the RPK and the PKM/PKP at a squad level, because fuck commonality. At least they manage to have their cake and eat it too when it comes to autorifle vs LMG.
>>
>>30303902
>Let's start with the role of the LMG gunner in the Marines. The gunner is supposed to get the enemies head down so that they cannot move or return fire at the riflemen flanking them.
>MG is for suppression
>it's totally not a bigger casualty producer than all the rest of the rifles in a squad added up
Thanks for outing yourself with memes that don't apply in reality.
>>
>>30303728
>Issue the LMG Role to the M16
Colt did that and failed badly.
>>
>>30304142
well yes, the MG does tend to kill more enemies than the riflemen. That's because it's shooting more bullets down range.
>>
>>30303819
>Needing a scope to shrek kiddies
>>
>>30304200
>not issuing bolt-action machine guns with irons for FIBUA
>>
>>30304067
This was the common opinion on /k/ 4 years ago or whenever. Surprised to see it so far down the thread, and with no replies.
>>
>>30303491
>Magazine fed SAW.
Why didn't they alter it to feed from a belt?
>>
>>30304058
shh, you might upset his overly simplistic worldview
>>
>>30305721
The entire point was an automatic rifle concept. This is subtly, but distinctly different from a light machinegun concept.

This weapon is supposed to be maneuverable and light enough to truly keep up with riflemen, as well as to be compatible with their magazines. Having it be a magazine fed AR accomplishes both. An M249 has the magazine feature sure, but by being beltfed primarily it ensures that it is a heavier and bulkier weapon.

An automatic rifle trades weight for lower weight and higher maneuverability. This makes sense in certain circumstances, such as long distance dismounted missions across rough terrain. In much the same way that a plate carrier offers reduced functionality compared to full armor as a concession to weight, so does the automatic rifle make similar concessions. It is not a universal answer, but it has its place, and by having it in the inventory, tactical flexibility is increased.
>>
>>30303606

parts wont get as hot, gasses will vent vs the self fouling DI AR design (which is a complete POS)
>>
It's not stupid but it does cut down the firepower avaliable to each section. What say you're patrolling through the trees with only 30m visibility. Are you still going to want no machine gun in the lead section? Yeah you can bring them up from the support section as the fight develops. But if you already had a gpmg up there or at least a light machine gun those guys in initial contact are going to be a lot safer and more able to win a firefight. Out in the open you will still want one of those guns up there fucking quick because while this kind of weapon provides accurate suppressive fire it's no where near as sustainable at a rapid rate. Can't change a barrel, can't link on belts

What we do is have a gun and a marksman rifle so both tools avaliable. I've seen other nations use both a light and a general machine gun. So 2 belt fed guns in the same section one more mobile then the other.

There's always different ways of doing shit but I wouldn't be happy if I was an American squad commander. Because this decision literally takes 80% of his firepower away and makes him more reliant on the larger slower moving unit. He's going to have a hard time winning a firefight for the commander against anyone with a belt fed gun, he's going to be losing it until help arrives from the rear. Imo
>>
>>30303491
>Be Marine Corps
>Want to go to the HK416 Model
>Colt defense contracts says no
>Okay, well we're gonna get these uhh...LMGs
>We'll replace some squad gunners, or add them as supplementary to the SAW!

Basically, the marines wanted to upgrade to the hk416 model, but existing contracts prohibited it, so they're getting it in the field and tested so if/when they CAN change, they will.

Also, they're trying to move away from spray-and-pray LMGs to a more controlled, precision based weapon.
>>
>>30303845
>correct me if wrong, but the M27 has fairly little in common with an M4 due to the gas system being changed to a piston, and various parts being made of thicker metal.

While I cannot speak with complete certainty, I can already assume that even if you aren't correct it won't make a difference because the government does not work like that logistically. Parts for this weapon system will be handled completely separate from other weapons even if they share common parts. They will buy the parts from HK or whoever even though it is the same exact thing as the one FN makes for M4s. I may be wrong, but after seeing how things are done in the Army for years I couldn't see it being another way.
Now that's not to say that if your armorer is smart enough and your M27 trigger is broken and he doesn't have an HK part to replace it with he won't just put in one from an M4. But what I'm trying to say is that you'll never see anyone replace an M27 barrel, upper or any other "swappable" part from another weapon despite it being compatible.
>>
>>30303570
16.5 inches.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M27_Infantry_Automatic_Rifle

>>30303491
The Marines seem to like it a lot more than the M249.
>>
>>30306139
>Also, they're trying to move away from spray-and-pray LMGs to a more controlled, precision based weapon.

This is exactly the type of thinking that gets the corps into dumb positions like fallujah where they were under equipped for the task and army has to bail them out.
>>
>>30306303
The issue with the Corps is, they pride themselves on 'Doing more with less' only, they actually don't do more, but they keep getting themselves less and less.

I'm hoping that after the last 2 wars, the Marines have wisened up somewhat and they'll stop intentionally dicking themselves over and actually address what they need to fix.
>>
>>30303695
Too fucking heavy.
>>
>>30303491
The IAR looks really similar to the M4 but it basically changed the game for suppression. Instead of just pounding someone with a fuckload of relatively inaccurate fire from an M249, the IAR hits them with incredibly accurate fire. I've hit point targets with it out to 700 meters and it wasn't really hard at all. Also by dressing it up as a standard issue rifle it protects the fire superiority element of the fireteam. As they said back in the day, "the life expectancy of a machinegunner is 30 seconds after the first burst." Insurgents or any enemy really would target the machine gun team first to ensure their enemy couldn't lay down some hate right away.
>>
>>30305902
>>30304058
Expert fedoras detected.
>>
>>30303491
First, it's a better action.
Second the lmg is also 5.56 NATO so it's doesn't make a difference.
Lastly, controlled pairs is the goal, less wasted ammo.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Byfd-Mrp78

Why bother with dedicated LMGs? Just make everyone one.
>>
>>30304115
And as for the Russians, they have both the RPK and the PKM/PKP at a squad level
They didn't.
>>
>>30305721
>Why didn't they alter it to feed from a belt?
Speed of reload and reload on the move capability. Ammo commonality.
>>
>>30303662
I'm sure that HK thought of this when they designed it.
I mean look at the 416.
That sits a fucling tank. Couple buddies of mine have over 100k rounds through their service 416s with no failures and no excessive bolt wear issues.
I'm sure HK did some magic with placement of the striker plate in the carrier and with the shape of the bolt and the buffer tube to mitigate wear and improve characteristics from the 416
>>
>>3030700
krautmagic .... its 10% more magical than regular magic
>>
>>30306372
The M27 is fucking heavy for an AR. Also, the SAW isn't that heavy. The new version is even lighter.
>>
>>30303491
Because Muhreens.
>>
File: 12361235123.jpg (22 KB, 263x261) Image search: [Google]
12361235123.jpg
22 KB, 263x261
>>30306452
>M249
>relatively inaccurate.
>>
>>30306954
>RPK
>in service now
You should just stop reading right there my friend.
M27 surely is for complementing SAW, not replacing them outright.
>>
>>30306452
they going to feed the IAR with casket mags?
>>
>>30303662
>I wonder what they're gonna do about the carrier tilt.
Carrier tilt being an actual problem is just a memem mostly the fault of piston AR manufacturers trying to one-up each other.. Rubbing the end of the buffer tube will never cause a short stroke or otherwise provoke a malfunction. It will polish itself to a gliding surface just like the face of the hammer and bolt carrier do.
>>
File: QJB-95-1 LSW.jpg (309 KB, 950x690) Image search: [Google]
QJB-95-1 LSW.jpg
309 KB, 950x690
>sustained fire optimized assault rifle

Man, Murrica sure is behind the times.

China had those like in the late 90s already.
>>
Britain also did this in the 90's, and then had to buy minimis on urgent order in Afghanistan
>>
I was a SAW gunner and won't participate. Wake me up when the nightmare is over.

(Not enough mag capacity IMHO, let's atleast into 100 rounds)
>>
>>30306084
So, we're going back to the BAR?
>>
>>30307374
RPK's were in service last year, so they will still be in service now

Hell, you still see RPD's in the Far East...

PK's just get issued when avalible, I think I'm replacement of RPK's
>>
>>30303678
Lol under Army 2020 we're now scrapping the LMGs, and replacing with GPMGs instead because apparently the LMG is not effective over 200m.
>>
>>30303819
Underrated Borscht
>>
>>30307831
I thought the British Army already tried this with the l95
>>
>>30307808
Walking Fire, baby.
>>
>>30304067
>Studies done on battles in WWII concluded that an individual's chance of being hit in a firefight were pretty much at random
this is what the machine gun proponents actually believe
>>
>>30304115
The iowa's were great if the marines were actually equipped/capable of doing amphibious operations, and if they actually did one.

But they didn't so it probably was a waste of money modernizing them
>>
>>30307846
Can we get a M27 Monitor?? I'm in!
>>
>>30306859
Just needs some an autonomous/guided kamikaze drone to solve this problem.

You don't need to fire millions of rounds into dirt to keep someones head down
>>
>>30303789
Why can't the marines give them something like a beta mag or any other drum magazine?
>>
File: 1334665339190.jpg (398 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1334665339190.jpg
398 KB, 1600x1200
Come on guys, how many times have we had this.
While the M27 may not be the best automatic rifle, it is not replacing the M249, it is merely supplementing it.
The idea is that the M249 with set up a large base of fire while the maneuvering team with the M27 moves in. That way the secondary team can put down a smaller base of fire, if need be, while still being able be maneuver quickly and preform other tasks as well as another rifleman.
>>
>>30307991

Beta drums suck. The closest thing they can do is issue some 40 rounders. The M249 can already use STANAGs, why didn't the marines just buy new M249s to replace the old ones? Talk about money mismanagement.
>>
>>30308054

Why not just buy new M249s and M4A1s to replace their M16A4s? For all the talk about marines having shitty equipment they spend their budget on stupid shit like NEW M16A4s instead of carbines.
>>
>>30307810
Are you from of the mother Russia?
>>
>>30308055
>The M249 can already use STANAGs

An unused feature that just makes it heavier, and you are not addressing the weight of fire vs accurate fire debate.
>>
>>30303845
The Marines were also still using the M60 in Desert Storm. Taking weapons ideas from then is generally not the best idea.
>>
>>30303902
>combat experience has shown that accuracy is more important than sheer volume of fire.
Weird that even with single shots I can hit targets much better with a SAW than a 16 then.
>>
>>30308055
>>30308058
I agree with you that they should buy carbines however again the point of the M27 (and automatic rifles) is that the maneuvering team doesn't have to lay down as much firepower while clearing buildings and what-not, and would be better off with something lighter, yet still capable of setting up a base of fire.
>>
>>30303491

In practice they are handed out alongside M249s and pretty much used as assault rifles.
>>
>>30308094

It's only unused because retards think it will fail if used. Perhaps the magazine feature should be used during qualification during one table of fire. Maximum effective range for an M249 is 800M for a area target and 600 for a point target. Slap an M150 optic and that's good enough for the automatic rifleman. The M27 is a waste.

>>30308112

I don't see why we are going backwards with a magazine fed automatic rifle. At least issue some magazines with a higher capacity.
>>
File: 1451449956442.jpg (307 KB, 2000x1246) Image search: [Google]
1451449956442.jpg
307 KB, 2000x1246
>>30308133
There is nothing wrong with a magazine fed automatic rifle, most are. However you are right, the M27 is not the best automatic rifle , and it doesn't help that they issue 30 rounders.
>>
>>30308145
Our m27 gunners ran pmag 40s and surefire 60s. the hole company pitched in (cpls and below of course). with those, it works much better as a sustained support weapon, but still no replacement for a belt fed. personaly i would have rather had my para saw but not my choice.
>>
>>30306487
The Marines never explicitly said the M27 was REPLACING the M249 completely, it is SUPPLEMENTING its role in a squad depending on mission requirements, giving them options. The M249 hasn't gone anywhere like you retards are thinking.
>>
>>30303491
It's kinda funny how Soviets had RPK and RPK-74 since forever but they still choose PKM since it's a light and superior platform.

Also, does AR-15 platform still not have a reliable drum/casket/extended mag? What happened to Beta-C?
>>
>>30308184

Beta C sucks and there is a lot of reports of the surefire mags sucking as well. The only higher cap mag that works that I know of is the 40 round PMAG.
>>
>>30308196
What's the deal with that? Both Chinese and Russia/Soviets managed to design working drums and extended mags no issue. Is it a shortcoming of the AR-15 design itself?
>>
>>30308211

The difference is the US military never pressed the industry for a drum as much as the Russians. The US army looked into the Beta drum but dropped interest after a few trials about 8 years ago and that was that.
>>
>>30306084
So why not issue everyone M27s and leave the M16s at home?
>>
Any word from your Battalion Gunner on how he feels about the M27? I was with 2/6 from 07-11 when the M27 was still being evaluated. I did go through coaches course as a pog and witnessed a SLAMC fire, but that was my only exposure to the M27. In 2010, my platoon had a short stay at the Company's firm position. There was an ODA that operated out of there also, and I always thought the Mk. 46 variant would have been a good replacement for the standard M249.
>>
>>30308196
what about Magpul's D60 ?
>>
https://youtu.be/gOUKXIrDE0I?t=10m23s

What the man who turned the AR-10 into the AR-15 is working on now. Pretty slick shit. First half of the video also gives a great history of the AR platform as well as describing some of the modifications to create this. Now if only there were some better mags that size.
>>
>>30308058
The 416 is better for sustained fire than the M4A1, the DI gas system doesn't lend itself to a lot of sustained automatic fire unless you made something like an open bolt AR.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1461901895196-1024x680.jpg (172 KB, 1024x680) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1461901895196-1024x680.jpg
172 KB, 1024x680
>>30308244

Well shit, that was meant for >>30308168

Also, we still had LAWs and a alongside our AT4s and SMAW, but atleast we got plate carriers (although we had to use side SAPIs). Had the RCT CO come out to visit our patrol base. They had muhreens in MTVs doing a dismounted patrol with us, shit looked miserable.
>>
If we ever have to fight a war against non sheep herders we're going to get so rolled
>>
File: Pistonfags BTFO.jpg (31 KB, 851x204) Image search: [Google]
Pistonfags BTFO.jpg
31 KB, 851x204
>>30308251
>Open bolt FA
>Closed bolt semi

WANT
>>
>>30308293
>we
>>
>>30308357
LWRCi had a submission into the same trail that lead to the m27 IAR that was closed bolt on semi and open bolt on full auto after the first shot. And on a piston gun
>>
>>30308270
Consensus was that its a fine rifle that dosent really fill the role of the thing it was supposed to replace. It's cheep tho, so of course its right for us.
Also fuck the mtv, fuck it in the ass. I thought nothing could be more uncomfortable then the interceptor with the side sapi kit, but the green sought to change that.
>>
>>30308357
Fucking right? Also I hadn't checked the comments, had a good chuckle, thanks.
>>
>>30308184
>It's kinda funny how Soviets had RPK and RPK-74 since forever but they still choose PKM since it's a light and superior platform.
They didn't. RPK is on the squad level, PKM is on the platoon level.
>>
>>30308399
FN had a submission that was closed bolt until chamber is hot enough for cook off. Then it automatically switches to open bolt.
>>
>>30308467
How's the RPK-74 holding up.
Is there any significant advantage in sustain firing ability and precision at longer ranges over AK-74M?
I've heard the longer barrel in AK platform causes more vibration, makes them even less accurate than standard 16 inch AK.
>>
>>30308488
Sounds more complicated than it needs to be.
>>
>>30307001
Are they seals?
>>
>>30308244
Mk46 doesn't have enough new parts considering its never used in garrison, so there was no surplus of parts.

762 is also hella fucking heavy, wearing 1200 rds 762 kills the wearer. So then you're spreading rounds through your squad that could be used holding mortar rounds, batteries, etc.

It fucking sucked. And the SAW did its job and lighter. Or you could just have a 240L, or mount it.

>>30308133
No, it does jam with a magazine. And jams inherently because its a SAW.

>>30307075
Uh, the SAW plus normal combat load is heavy as fuck. A SAW with a 200rd drum weighs just as much as a 240L. Now sprint around and shoulder that in 120 degrees heat and a billion pounds of gear.

Now compare that to an M4 with 240 rounds+. The reality is a SAW gunner carries more, and having others carry half their load only ends up in disaster when shtf and you can't find those rounds on other dudes.

The M27 has a role as a suppressing weapon. It just can't replace the role of an LMG completely. 1 LMG and 1 M27 per squad would work well.
>>
>>30310394
Derp, was referring to mk48. Not mk46.
>>
>>30303617
Sure you can, but it won't save the gas tube. Maybe pull up some actual design specials before diving into the discussion, perhaps look at other rifle based LMGs
>>
File: 0_c1b97_eaa2ac50_orig.jpg (251 KB, 677x1000) Image search: [Google]
0_c1b97_eaa2ac50_orig.jpg
251 KB, 677x1000
>>30303491
Russian have doing that for ages
and i don't see them bitching
>>
File: how to keyboard.webm (2 MB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
how to keyboard.webm
2 MB, 480x270
>>30303491
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXQygRVvEmM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qgfBL1hz_zw
>>
File: 154124.jpg (67 KB, 640x955) Image search: [Google]
154124.jpg
67 KB, 640x955
>>30303819
here is the thing, the "doctrine" implys that MURRICA is always on the attack and never put on the defense, we already seen how this had bit the army in the ass in the sand nigger land, this is why 10 years later and MURRICA still can't hold the sand nigger land.
>>
>>30310394
>No, it does jam with a magazine. And jams inherently because its a SAW.

Wrong.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8NBCPRnKF4

Unless you can show use some videos where the M249 fails using mags you are just repeating shit you were told.
>>
>>30310848
It's mostly because of how hard it is to build a functional country out of Muslims.

To be honest, I think the US would have been better off directly taking over the governments in Iraq and Afghanistan and ruling as an occupation authority.

Sure, it'd piss off everyone, and the dipshits Washington would send over would suck, but it'd be significantly better than the Maliki government or the Karzai government.
>>
>>30303491
>How does this make sense?

Every Marine is a rifleman.

Even the machinegunners.
>>
>>30303705
We're still keeping the SAWs. In the Marines a rifle platoon has 3 squads with 3 teams each with an 'automatic rifleman' who carries a SAW or an IAR. GPMG teams are part of weapons company and are attached by battalion as needed. SAWs are being kept by Battalion and uses as required.

Marines like to go light, that's all there is to it.
>>
>>30310958

Time to get rid of the marines then because they are fucking retarded.
>>
>>30307831
I thought we were just getting long barrels for the LMG?
>>
>>30310876
The problem is that the SAW generally will bend the feed lips on the mags and they have to be bent back into place or they then jam up rifles.

>but if you're feeding mags into a SAW, things are totally fucked
>fuck the m27
>SAW gunner for life
>>
>>30303789
the IAR is carried by 0311s, only, the SAW was carried by 0311s too. 0331s are not in a rifle platoon they are part of weapons company and work with 240s M2s and mk19s.
>>
>>30310994

So does it jam the M249 or not? Or are you not the guy I replied too? I never experienced the M249 bending magazines and there is nothing mechanically inside the cycle of operations of the M249 that would expand the magazines as the bolt face strips a round off the magazine.

>fuck the m27

Yes.
>>
>>30310958
>>30310969

The Marine Corps Rifle Platoon is made up of natively made up of 0311 (riflemen), the 0311 Rifleman who gets the Automatic Rifleman role carries either a SAW or an IAR.

0331 Machine Gunners make teams that operate 240s M2s and Mk19s. If a Rifle platoon wants GPMGs in attached for an operation, they do not just grab one and take it, they have to get teams of 0331s attached. A Weapons Squad team or platoon.
>>
>>30310876
Dude, that is a fresh ass SAW, not the beat to fuck SAWs in infantry battalions.

When beat to fuck M4s and 240s still shoot consistently, and SAWs with a shit ton of maintenance can't; you're obviously facing a design flaw.

Then you face the old magazine issues as well, which have to be brand new to work for the magazine well of a SAW.

I've literally done exactly whats in the video in your post, and had misfires like every 2 rounds.
>>
>>30311034
Different dude.
The SAW works fine with mags loaded with actual rounds. It'll jam on mags with blanks.

We had old ass SAWs, and when the bolt carrier group gets a little more rattley inside the receiver than it should it has a tendency to bend the feed lips on the mags inward. The bolt on the SAW can still catch and strip a round out but a rifle can sometimes jam up because the rounds don't sit as close to the bolt as they should.

Not a huge problem, but meh. Brand new SAWs or SAWs that have had proper maintenance on them by the armorers won't do that.
>>
>>30310394
>Now sprint around and shoulder that
If you're trying to shoulder fire a SAW standing, you're doing something wrong. Under the arm is also a suggested firing position.
>>
File: Shrike556-CQB-LMG-003.jpg (100 KB, 640x339) Image search: [Google]
Shrike556-CQB-LMG-003.jpg
100 KB, 640x339
>Belt fed ARs never.
>>
>>30311103
I fed a saw one time with a stanag, it fired 14 rounds and then bent the 15th in an L shape.
>>
>>30311124
Wait, can you not shoulder fire a SAW from the standing?
>>
>>30311085

That SAW was refurbished over and over again. It was so old it didn't even have a rail on the cover at one point.

If your SAW doesn't work than tell your armorers to do their fucking jobs and open up the M249 SAW TM and conduct some PM and gauging.

>I've literally done exactly whats in the video in your post, and had misfires like every 2 rounds.

Either you are lying or you have an M249 that needs to be deadlined.

>>30311103

Yes blanks tend to jam a lot and people tend to think that means the mag feature doesn't work forgetting how a blank is shorter than a live round.
>>
File: ar15lmg_zps49a12781.png (527 KB, 1053x442) Image search: [Google]
ar15lmg_zps49a12781.png
527 KB, 1053x442
>>30311127
Stoner promised us!
>>
>>30311124
>>30311146

He's full of shit or only handled it in boot. There is a shoulder thing that goes up to help fire standing in the buttstock.
>>
>>30311162
Christ I didn't even use the shoulder thingy when we had the old stocks.

But we eventually had kits to gucci up our SAWs with short barrels, foregrips and m4 style buttstocks on them.
Those things were ballin' as fuck.
>>
File: Beltfed for Web Final.jpg (111 KB, 478x640) Image search: [Google]
Beltfed for Web Final.jpg
111 KB, 478x640
Comon pleeeeeease!
>>
>>30303705
I blame Obama for this.
>>
File: thefirearmblog_1-tfb1.jpg (49 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
thefirearmblog_1-tfb1.jpg
49 KB, 900x600
>>
>>30307691
>50 cents
>>
>>30311162
>>30311124
Nigga, are you two retarded as fuck? Or just tryhard keyboard jockeys?

Ofc you shoulder fire a fucking LMG. It isn't a god damn 240 or something you dumbasses.

>let me hipfire clear this compound real quick hurrr im rambo
>>
>>30308357
>>30308399
>>30308488

Somebody should invent a gun that fires the first few rounds with a firing pin, but then switches over to deliberately cooking off rounds to save wear and tear on the firing pin.
>>
>>30303705
It's essentially a DMR.

Remind me of how the Brits are dropping the minimi because their DMRs and UGLs do the job of squad level suppression just fine.
>>
>>30308293
I think you are overestimating what other militaries are capable of
>>
>>30308293
You might struggle occupying another country.
But I don't see any country surviving a week against the full might of the US.
>>
>>30307075
Have you carried either? Obviously not so stfu.
>>
>>30310574
I've heard some moan about them just being heavier barreled rifle.
Should've just gone with AK with higher capacity magazine.
>>
>>30303695
The M249 is pretty heavy, requires extra barrels and just feels kind of clunky.
>>
>>30303950
This. I've never fired a SAW that didn't have issues. 240s, on the other hand, were always solid shooters.
>>
>>30312089
>Remind me of how the Brits are dropping the minimi because their DMRs and UGLs do the job of squad level suppression just fine.
Wait, are you legit getting it backwards or was that the joke?
>>
>>30315009
They are actually doing this
>>
>>30315030
Wow, the world has gone nutty then

>the L86A2 did not overcome efforts to replace it with a belt-fed machine gun. British troops were issued with L110A1 machine guns to add suppressive fire out to 300 metres; despite these officially being supplementary weapons, they all but replaced the L86.[12]
from wikipedo
>>
Why doesn't the fuckin US just adopt the RPK.
Not saying take the RPK and use it - but take it - redesign it, make it lighter, change the magwell properties to compat with Stanag 556 mags.
Issue 30 and 60 round mags. Issue solved.
Russia already figured this shit out - take it and tweak it to your needs
>>
>>30312089
Do they though?

What happens when the en is engaging from near his max range. That leaves the section with only one weapon that is effective. And it's closed bolt, with one barrel, and fed by magazine

Better to also have a gun. Leave him on fire support for the assault or take him in the rear of assaulting troops to get on the next fire support position and/or secure on re org. It is a lot to ask for him to assault (I've done it many times with a fucking gpmg and it's not easy) but he's most of the section firepower
>>
>>30316212
The RPK is a beefier HBAR version of the AK, so the HK IAR is exactly the same thing. The main problem is that they refuse to put funding into a good drum mag, so the IAR is nothing more than a backdoor way to get some 416s to replace aging rifles.

Add a drum mag or quad stack to the IAR and it will be just like a Russian style squad LMG.
>>
>>30307808
that would be awesome
>>
File: 1omwyt7.gif (903 KB, 1024x400) Image search: [Google]
1omwyt7.gif
903 KB, 1024x400
Wonder if one of these things would be a good idea for an LMG.
Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.