[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
.223 vs. .308
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2
File: debate.jpg (9 KB, 236x279) Image search: [Google]
debate.jpg
9 KB, 236x279
Alright /k/, I've been planning on building an AR out of an 80% lower for a long time, and now seems to be the best time to do it just in case the libs get their way.

So I ask - should I chamber it in .223 or .308? What are advantages and drawbacks of each? Beyond the obvious cost, recoil, etc. Either way, I'd build the rest of the rifle around the lower with consideration of caliber. Would be used mostly for hog hunting/producing liberal tears. Wouldn't shoot at the range too terribly much, so cost of ammo isn't of concern to me.
>>
I'd reccomend .308 because its a more versatile round IMO.

You can buy sabots and seat a .223 bullet in a .308 case and get like 5000FPS for shits and giggles.
>>
I've never heard of someone being happy with an 80% 308 build.

and I'm a crazy .308 fanboy.
>>
5.56, because when the libs ban the AR-15, you can always build an AR-10
>>
Hog hunting? .308

Hog shoulders are thick, the extra mass of the .308 will help break through to vitals.
>>
>>30300720
you are going to run into so many compatibility issues if you decide to build a 308 ar with an 80

if you must do an 80 build a 223/556 jigs and the correct tools make it almost idiot proof
>>
>>30300758
I think I'm leaning towards .308 desu. But
>seat .223 in .308 case
won't that wreck the shit out of the rifling?

>>30300770
Why aren't they happy with their 80% build?
>>
>>30300785
Compatibility with the jigs or the CNC machining itself?
>>
>>30300786
>won't that wreck the shit out of the rifling?
he said Sabot, although I thought sabot is best used with smooth bore.
>>
>>30300791
theres 3 different patterns of ar 10 receivers enough that factory parts wont fit together
unless you research ahead of time its a clusterfuck
building off an 80 makes it worse
>>
File: dtkm.png (524 KB, 627x502) Image search: [Google]
dtkm.png
524 KB, 627x502
>>30300758
>You can buy sabots and seat a .223 bullet in a .308 case and get like 5000FPS for shits and giggles.
>>
>>30300841

Remington Accelerators.

Horrible accuracy though.
>>
>>30300828
How do people normally build an ar 10 off of an 80 then?
>>
>>30300859
Is the accuracy bad just because the twist rate isn't right? Or is a .223 bullet just inherently unstable at those speeds?
>>
Grendel
>>
>>30300884

I have no idea. My guess is the sabot deforms unevenly and leaves the bore imperfectly. They are cheap plastic after all.
>>
Are there any plans online for making your own 80% jig? Looked around for a little but didn't find much.
>>
Drilling and milling out an 80% is going to be equally easy. The cost of the lower and jig will be higher for 308 though.

The big issue is parts compatibility. While an AR-15 is standardized, the 308 version is not. You have to match receivers, barrels, bolt carrier groups, and magazines. Its not an impossible task, I did it last year, but it took about a year to wait on sales and such.
>>
>>30300772
>Not wanting a .308 AR-10
>>
>>30301500
if you can drill out your own jig youve got the tools and ability to mill out a lower without one
>>
>>30301770
that's what I figured.

Worth a shot asking at least since I'm a poorfag/cheapskate
>>
>Not getting your AR in .300 Win Mag
>>
>>30301598
Considering you can get a 100% .308AR lower for $120, the value proposition changes.
>>
>>30301500
Here again.

So i just ordered an unanodized 80% lower and a jig from Anderson since they were sold out of the anodized 80%s.

I'm thinking of anodizing it myself sometime down the road and since there aren't any markings on the lower i see it as a blank canvas for me to do whatever the hell I want to it.

Problem is I don't want to just grab a dremel and take it down to hacktown. Is there a more elegant solution to add markings to the reciever?

I'm thinking maybe acid etching beforehand but that might not play well with the anodizing process and it would look very 'flat'.

Suggestions?
>>
>>30300758
>5000fps

try 4000
>>
>>30305455
Also I know that my planned ghetto rigged anodizing probably won't get anywhere near the quality of the industrial stuff, but you work with what you got. Plus I think it'll be pretty cool to do it by myself.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.