[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Are the AR and AK the pinnacle of rifle design? The US and Russian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (139 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
139 KB, 800x600
Are the AR and AK the pinnacle of rifle design? The US and Russian militaries have been unable to find a suitable replacement that isn't derivative of either model for the last 50 years. Is this due to there genuinely not being anything better, or it is the result of both countries not being able to picture themselves using anything else?
>>
>>30297723
In the last 50 years three guns have been responsible for about 80% of most rifles:

AR-15

AK

AR-18
>>
>>30297723
Reliable operations with reliable designs. The three big ones being Short Stroke, Long stroke, and Gas Expansion while having a rotating bolt. Most recoil designs aren't used in new models, neither is the tilting bolts in the actions(Roller delayed blowback may be an exception, haven't heard from lever delayed blowback).
>>
Are they the pinnacle? No
Has anything came a long that would justify spending the millions to phase out the rifles, purchase, and retrain troops on the new service weapon? Nope.
>>
No.
Reasons why AK's suck:
7.62x39 is inaccurate

reasons why AR's suck:
top charging
direct impingement
buffer tube
5.56x45

Features that would be featured in the pinnacle of rifle design:
Cobalt Kinetic's auto-drop-empty-magazines and auto-close-bolt-on-fresh-magazines
quick change barrels
6.5 Creedmoor
other features similar to the RA XCR
>>
>>30297808
>I dont have guns
>>
>>30297808
>Cobalt Kinetic's auto-drop-empty-magazines and auto-close-bolt-on-fresh-magazines
Is that when the magazine automatically drops out when the last round is fired? If thats the case, then its a shit idea, soldiers would be dropping their mags everywhere instead of putting them back into a pouch and theyd lose them all.
>>
>>30297808
>7.62x39 is inaccurate
Knowing this little about guns and ammo. Lol
>>
>>30297723
>Are the AR and AK the pinnacle of rifle design?
No, firearm design has been a mature technology since the beginning of the cold war. And while there's guns I think are better than either the AR or AK, the differences are small enough that my/your opinions probably have far more to do with personal preferences when it comes to features, rather than said gun being objectively better.
>>30297808
>i heard it on the interwebs so it must be true
>the post
>>
>>30297920

> picking up, throwing empty mags back in pouches in combat

Pog detected
>>
>>30297723
Ahem.
>>
>>30297749
Whats wrong with tilting bolt? Dependence upon receiver strength?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.