[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Body Armour
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10
File: KEV.jpg (637 KB, 1237x1394) Image search: [Google]
KEV.jpg
637 KB, 1237x1394
Hello friends,

I happened to have a couple questions for anyone that can answer about soft armour.

Are you able to wear a soft vest under a plate carrier?

Are the cuts of Kevlar different in soft vests than the ballistic sheets in a plate carrier; do they offer more protection?

Has anyone had any experience with LBT's slick carrier?

Thank you in advance.
>>
>>30295254
I'll try and help.
>Are you able to wear a soft vest under a plate carrier?
You could, but it would be bulky. You'd be better off finding an armor carrier that can hold plates as well.

>Are the cuts of Kevlar different in soft vests than the ballistic sheets in a plate carrier; do they offer more protection?
Yes. There are several different cuts for soft armor. Most are proprietary, but there are a couple of military standards and there are soft backers, which are designed to back up an in conjunction with plate in a plate carrier.
As you can imagine the different cuts offere different levels of coverage. Some cover almost the entire torso. Others are really just the chest/back with little "wings" to cover the your sides.

Has anyone had any experience with LBT's slick carrier?
Can't help you here.

tl;dr: decide how much soft armor coverage you want and get a carrier with an integrated plate pocket.
>>
File: image.jpg (502 KB, 1600x1065) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
502 KB, 1600x1065
US Marshal with a soft vest under an LBT 6094
>>
Yes you can throw a plate carrier over soft armour. Doing that will increase threat protection. Cops do it all the time. They wear soft armor (usually level 2 or 3a) and have a plate carrier to throw on when the threat requires more protection.
>>
>>30295254
i can fit a 3A soft armor under my plate carrier
because i didnt buy an integrated one...
>>
File: Care.jpg (152 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Care.jpg
152 KB, 960x720
>>30295765
I see, I was wondering because of the apparent lack of protection provided by the plates and their backers.

Who do you think makes the best IIIA Kevlar cuts and carriers?

What do you think of the military soft armour like in the image?

>>30295800

The plate carrier is clearly not refitted for his use.
I do take your point, though, that it would be bulky.

Also, why does his cummerbund covered with velcro on the outside?
Was that a custom for the marshals?
>>
>>30295881
Generally speaking military carriers and cuts have more coverage and PALS webbing and LE carriers are more of a concealment cut, even among clearly overt carriers.

>>30295806 is correct that most layering like that is done by cops, who usually wear concealable soft armor under their uniforms and PCs on top without backers when needed.

As for brands check tac gear sites that sell armor to non-LEO/MIL. Most manufactures don't sell direct so you kinda have to take what you can find.

First thing is to decide if you want concealment cut of .mil style full coverage.
>>
File: IMG_2182.jpg (2 MB, 4032x3024) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2182.jpg
2 MB, 4032x3024
Seems like the thread to ask: (?)
Do any of you anons know of somewhere that sells reliable ceramic plates for decent prices? I have a Shellback Tactical Banshee carrier but right now the only armor I have in it are the type IIIA inserts that were in my first soft vest. I was going to get cheap steel AR500 but a bunch of anons told me I'd get ventilated if I did that.
>>
>>30296359
SKD Tactical, AT Armor, Bulletproofme
>>
>>30296216
>military carriers and cuts have more coverage

That's good.

I was thinking of wearing a military IIIA carrier like in the previous picture with a LBT slick or something similar over the top of it with steel plates with or without backing when I'm wearing a heavy overcoat.

I don't about it being concealed as much as out of the way.

Thanks Anon, but I have the plates and Kevlar covered as far as where I'm going to be sourcing them from.

I want full coverage.
I'm not going to be wearing a suit.
I don't really see the point in wearing armour if you're not going to go all the way with it.
>>
>>30296359
Ventilated?
>>
File: image.jpg (220 KB, 1035x690) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
220 KB, 1035x690
>>30296574
Ventilated as in vents
As in holes that let air in and out
As in the steel plate wouldn't offer any protection and would end up looking like Swiss cheese
>>
>>30296567
It's still a balance. Soft armor is more for pistol rounds and fragmentation anyway and it can hold in heat. So if you live innadesert and don't expect a lot of fragmentation threats or IEDs it may be better to choose less coverage but more mobility and less weight and heat retention.
I'd also strongly recommend a single carrier if you only plan to wear it with plates. Stacked carriers make sense if you're gonna wear the soft armor concealed, but if you're going with an overt carrier you can save money bulk and weight by getting one carrier that'lol handle both.
BALCS is a good cut for full coverage and carrier choices if you decide to go that route.

>>30296574
As in full of holes. From bullets passing through the armor. Cheap AR500 can't even stop 55gr .223, which is a pretty major threat.
>>
>>30297042
>>30297001
good lord, what thickness are you getting those plates in? and why aren't you wearing a 1" thick breastplate?
>>
>>30295254
>Has anyone had any experience with LBT's slick carrier

We talking about the LBT 6094 slick? What questions do you have on it? I own one
>>
Using the thread for a related question.

Does anyone have experience with Beez Combat Systems?
>>
>>30297042
Okay.

What AR500 armour are we talking about?
Some Chinese shit?
AR500 brand looks quite nice from their demonstration videos.
>>
>>30298309
>We talking about the LBT 6094 slick?
Yeah

http://lbtinc.com/slick-plate-carrier-c

How do you like it?

Is it worth having over the 6094?

How bulky is the unit?

Can it be worn under a coat?
>>
>>30298890
Look at the arfcom and m4c threads about them. Some bad stuff.

>>30298985
AR500 armor in general. Even some of the stuff that'll stop M855 won't stop M193. There's a reason professionals use ceramic.
>>
>>30295800
When I was a muhreen I noticed thats how ANGLICO and Recon rolled.
>>
>>30297875
Literally just shut the fuck up And do not post here again
>>
File: 016.jpg (2 MB, 1920x2560) Image search: [Google]
016.jpg
2 MB, 1920x2560
>>30298998
I'm going to say this now sorry for the meme camo, I kinda got it off of a trade and refuse to change the color due to the rarity of it

>How do you like it?
I love it, it serves as a nice quick response plate carrier and is also extremely light. It can pretty much be reconfigured to anyway you want to be.

>Is it worth having over the 6094?
Get the 6094 if you don't want to hold all your mags on a belt/chest right and are looking for a more molle real estate. Seeing as you want concealment I would obviously recommend the slick over the 6094
>How bulky is the unit?
Not that bulky, the only bulky part is the back panel because of molle. Even then it's pretty slim
>Can it be worn under a coat?
Maybe if you have a big enough coat. I wouldn't buy it if you are solely going to use it for solely concealment. If you are looking for a versatile PC I'd recommend the slick.
>>
>>30298890
You will wait forever to get your product from them, but their gear has been solid.
>>
>>30299767
>AR500 armor in general. Even some of the stuff that'll stop M855 won't stop M193

Can you post a link?

Why would a steel core be stopped while FMJ aren't?

AR550 and the AR680 are the recommended production processes now?
>>
>>30296359
Armourwear
>>
>>30301247
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ojaz2pMKlgo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMYkEMhPsO8

>AR550 and the AR680 are the recommended production processes now?
Ceramics dont even cost a lot right now
>>
>>30299988

No need to say sorry if you got a good deal.
Is desert MARPAT rare from LBT?

I wouldn't really call it a meme either.
MARPAT is very nice, but I wouldn't want to get stuck with it since the marines are the only ones using the pattern.

I considered a woodland M81 colour from LBT in their standard 6094, but I decided on ranger green because I didn't want to be confined to one pattern. This worked out great due to the marshal's 6094 overrun that was being liquidated on ebay a while back.

>Get the 6094 if you don't want to hold all your mags on a belt/chest right

Like I said, I bought a 6094 several weeks back.
I really like it and I was looking for a thinner PC so that I can wear it under a coat and so that I wouldn't have to remove my pouches on my 6094.

I don't care if it's seen, I just don't want it to be uncomfortable while I'm wearing the coat.
That's the only reason I care about thickness.

I plan on wearing a trench coat with the slick in case you wondered how big of a coat I was talking about.
>>
>>30301287
>Ceramics dont even cost a lot right now

I want the multi-hit capability, though.
>>
>>30301454
>Ceramics are single hit and done
When will this meme die? They arent dinner plates
>>
>>30301658

Obviously they don't just crumble, but I thought the shot placement had to be a fair distance from each other.
>>
>>30301442
Not even MARPAT camo, it's AOR1/NWU type II and is only sold to NSW units.

Though yeah the plate carrier is actually pretty comfy to wear for a long duration and if you are wearing it under a trench coat you should be fine concealment wise. Another plus with the cummerbund you can divert some of the weight from plates away from your shoulders
>>
>>30301822
I didn't even notice.
Not that I would have known, I never familiarized myself with the Navy's new patterns or ever even come across them in person. Why did they feel the need to effectively recreate desert MARPAT?

What are NSW units?

Thanks for your help, Anon.
>>
>>30299767
>>30301287
>AR500 plates can't stop M193
You do know that AR500 plates rated to stop M193 have been on the market for over a year now. They market them as NIJ III+.

>b-but NIJ III+ isn't an official rating
Manufacturers add the + to the designation then list what the rounds it's rated to stop. In the event that the armor doesn't perform to their specification they are just as liable as if it didn't perform to the government's specification. Also UHMWPE plates are also occasionally rated NIJ III+ due to additional changes being made so they'll stop M855 as normal UHMWPE plates won't.

>>30301454
Look up the ratings you tard. Any plate to be rated NIJ III or higher is required to stop 6 rounds of 7.62x51mm. Also, lower ratings than NIJ III are required to stop 5 rounds of whatever round they're rated to stop.
>>
>>30302199
Naval Special Warfare, AKA >muh seels

>>30302277
And just because they stop M193 doesn't mean they'll stop something just slightly hotter or faster. I know M193 is the big threat but you also want to consider varmint 40gr loads and such. That plus the weight penalty for III+ steel makes it pretty much a nonstarter at least for me.
>>
>>30302277
>Look up the ratings you tard.

No need to be cross, Anon.
Somehow I thought he was talking about level IV ceramics.
>>
>>30302304
What plates are you using in your slick?

So the SEALs want to make themselves feel special like the marines?
>>
>>30302277
>$115 for AR500 III+ plate
>$169 for IV Ceramic from ArmourWear
If $54 is out of your price range you shouldnt be buying plates
> In the event that the armor doesn't perform to their specification they are just as liable as if it didn't perform to the government's specification
Kek good luck with this lawsuit
>>
Is there any good dick armor? I think I might prefer dying over getting shot in the dick desu
>>
>>30302564
>If $54 is out of your price range
No one uses a single plate, that's about $108. Also, poorfag ceramics really aren't worth it considering they normally weigh about the same as AR500 plates completely negating the main advantage of ceramic plates. I'd rather have AR500 Armor's 6.5 lb lightweight NIJ III+ plates over the 7.5-8 lb poorfag ceramic options.

>>30303204
Most groin armor is just kevlar, though there are some options with pockets for rifle plates like Crye's LAP panel.
>>
File: 1371845803084.png (61 KB, 673x501) Image search: [Google]
1371845803084.png
61 KB, 673x501
>>30303241
>Id rather die than carry 2 extra pounds
>>
>>30303307
>>Id rather die than carry 2 extra pounds
Again, no one uses a single plate. That's 4-5 lbs extra and the extra protection that poorfag ceramics provide is against rounds that either aren't common in general and/or aren't common in anything that isn't bolt action and in the case of the later whoever is doing the shooting will be more likely to try to aim around your plates than try to shoot through them and risk failing since they can't just shoot again quickly.
>>
>>30302522
Not that guy with the slick. The whole navy uses AOR camos, but AFAIK the desert pattern and the woodland pattern are primarily used by the guys who actually do serious work on land, like NSW, EOD, and seabees. The guys on boats mostly wear the ridiculous blue color.
>>
>>30302277
>>30303241
the 3+ plates still wont stop m885a1 out of a long barrel
>>
>>30303409
>no one uses a single plate
Different anon. Source? I keep hearing this but no one can back it up.
>>
>>30303475
m855a1*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jET4I6oySsw
>>
>>30303485

Former military and current LEO here, nobody professional uses a single plate. Some guys may have in the old days and maybe some people do le black hawk down front plate only meme but other than a few operators 23 years ago or modern retards nobody is rocking single plate.
>>
>>30303241
>>30303409

You realize that the main reason the III+ lightweight plates are so light is because they cut a shit ton of the actual plate away, right? Try and compare actual plate coverage and the III+ lightweight plates will have significantly less covered area.
>>
You can wear a lot of things under a plate carrier, but it's probably gonna suck.

I'd recommend an OTV or IOTV.
>>
>>30303485
Plate carriers aren't designed to be used with one plate. If you do use just one it pulls the front of your plate carrier down making it rather uncomfortable to use and more importantly making your front plate not ride as high as it should be and not provide complete coverage over the top of your heart.

>>30303530
They released ones that aren't cut completely retarded:
http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-lightweight-10-x-12-level-iii-asc-body-armor.html

The retarded cut ones only weigh 5.5 lbs (at the cost of coverage of the bottom of your lungs):
http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-lightweight-10-x-12-level-iii-alsc-body-armor.html
>>
>>30303409
>That's 4-5 lbs extra and the extra protection

I've advocated steel in the past, but that is simply incorrect.

https://armour-wear.com/shop/all/hard-plates/hard-plate-10-x-12-alum-level-4-stand-alone/

http://www.ar500armor.com/ar500-armor-lightweight-10-x-12-level-iii-asc-body-armor.html

AR500 lists their plates as just over 6lbs while the ceramics are 7.5lbs which would give a total of 3 extra lbs between the front and the back plates. I think 3lbs is worth it considering the ceramics are level IV.
>>
>>30303454
>The guys on boats mostly wear the ridiculous blue color

So the crew is now longer wearing regular button-up shirts and pants?

Don't they still fall overboard enough that a water based camo would be a safety concern?
What's the point of blue anyway?
>>
>>30303527
>le black hawk down front plate only meme

That sounds retarded considering they stitched in another plate in the back towards the end of Somalia.
>>
>>30303611
>>30302564

Does anyone else have a problem when the manufacturers cut the corners on the bottom of the plates?

Is there actually a point to this or is just kikery?
>>
>>30306091
on top of that ceramics degrade pretty hard, I'd rather put money towards a reserve set of steel plates than get der uber kermics and have to watch my use-by date

besides, real men wear steel; someone tell me why, besides never needing to expect going up against a Barret or Browning, you shouldn't get a custom LvlV plate if you're already looking at a steel Level IV?
>>
>>30306133
probably has some ergonomic function while sitting or crouching, just wear a groin plate if you're that worried
>>
>>30306105
Yup, and yes people have pointed out it's a safety concern. Blue because "muh navy pride" or something, it's not like they fight real wars or anything...
>>
>>30308151
>on top of that ceramics degrade pretty hard
I'm not sure which steel armor seller you heard that from but it's not true. Soft armor does degrade somewhat unless properly stored but ceramics do not.
>>
>>30308151
What the fuck is wrong with you, you moron? Ceramics barely degrade at all unless they're actively being beat on. Also tell me how much a pair of level IV steel plates will weigh if they're a real SAPI cut and not some ayyy lmao AR500 armor cut with all the corners lopped off.
>>
File: navy_uniform.jpg (111 KB, 1018x696) Image search: [Google]
navy_uniform.jpg
111 KB, 1018x696
>>30306105
The main advantage of the NWU type 1 uniform is that it looks the same when covered in grey paint. Which is actually really good because it means people need to buy fewer replacement uniform items.

It's all of the accessories authorized for wear with it are black, as is the force protection equipment and armor used by pretty much every command.

The end result is that force protection personnel look like units out of command and conquer with blue as their team color.
>>
>>30301442
>I plan on wearing a trench coat with the slick in case you wondered how big of a coat I was talking about.

abortthread.gif
>>
File: image.jpg (13 KB, 361x280) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
13 KB, 361x280
>>30310246
Anybody know of a fedora big enough to conceal pic related?
>>
>>30308161
I shouldn't have to wear a groin plate.

There's certainly a reason for it and that reason is price. I don't know why they just can't use a SAPI cut.
>>
>>30310375
>>30310246

Yeah because I'm sure you're so stylish in your skinny jeans and pride t-shirt.
>>
>>30312488
Skinny jeans and a pride shirt would actually be considered stylish.
A trench coat and fedora would not.
Although both advertise to the world that you're an autistic fag.
>>
>>30312564
Who said anything about a fedora?
>>
>>30312660
See >>30310375
Thread replies: 66
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.