[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
alright /k/ i have a question for you when the NFA mentions
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (68 KB, 660x426) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
68 KB, 660x426
alright /k/ i have a question for you

when the NFA mentions an SBR it means a rifle fired from the shoulder with a barrel shorter than 16 inches AND a length shorter than 26 inches?

If i only meet one of these criteria (for example, an M92 PAP with a folding stock and a 10 inch barrel; being 26 inches or more fully extended but still being fired from the shoulder), is the weapon stilled considered an NFA?
>>
>>30294754
I'm no expert, but I think it needs to meet both to be considered NFA. That's how they can get away with ak/ar pistols I believe.
>>
>>30294777
that's what i thought. I just purchased an M92, with a total length of about 20 inches out of the box. Im going to assume that putting a folding stock and a krink muzzle break on the gun would end up making the overall length at least 26 inches if not more, but i wanted to make sure it would still not be considered an NFA weapon, due to it only having a 10 inch barrel.
>>
File: 1462665087648.png (139 KB, 695x1052) Image search: [Google]
1462665087648.png
139 KB, 695x1052
>>30294754
it depends on what the gun started as
if its pistol and you add a stock then its a sbr
if its a rifle and you cut the barrel its a sbr
if its a nothing which happens to be over 26 over all but not have a stock and a under 16 inch barrel congrats with your "firearm"
>>
>>30294754
it is still considered nfa yes

>>30294777
ak/ar pistols get away with it because they are fucking pistols and not restricted by the same length rules
>>
>>30294754
Allow me to be of good service, sir. First, I have an SBR M85NP. To answer your question, if it has an overall length of less than 26" regardless of the barrel length, it becomes NFA territory. This is why some bullpups will have barrels longer than 16" to meet the OAL requirement of 26".

Im not exactly sure I understand your question fully so I will say this as well: if you SBR your M92, it does not have to be under 26" OAL, it can be under or over. The barrel being shorter than 10" is what makes it an SBR. On my form 1 for my M85 I put OAL as 26" just to pick an arbitrary number because I hadn't picked out what kind of stock I wanted to use on it and therefor could not measure it accurately at the time. Hope this helps OP.
>>
>>30294796
So the conditions i stated above would make this and NFA weapon correct? (M92 pistol with folding stock and krink muzzle break)
>>
>>30294807
Clarification of first paragraph: what i meant to say was a rifle needs an OAL of 26" and barrel length of 16" to not be NFA. If you permanently attached a muzzle extension and slapped a stock on it to turn it into a rifle for instance, it would need to be both a barrel length of 16" and OAL of 26" to be non-NFA. Barrel length of 16" and OAL of under 26" on a rifle is still NFA. Sorry for the confusion, reread it after I posted and realized it may not make sense.
>>
>>30294807
Essentially what im trying to figure out is whether adding a foldable stock to an M92 considered a pistol out of the box would be NFA even if it was over 26 inches. From what I am hearing it seems like that is the case, and i don't think im interested in a class 3.
>>
>>30294813
yes it would be an sbr
>>
>>30294796
Yes correct. You can also permanently attach a muzzle device to bring the barrel length to 16" and slap a stock on it creating an OAL of at least 26" and have successfully made a non-NFA rifle, however you can never convert it back into a pistol configuration legally.
>>
>>30294820
alright this makes sense now. I'm sure i can do without a stock on it, because it really is not worth it to get a class 3 in my opinion. I might get alot of flak for saying that, maybe i wont, but it really is not worth submitting to random drop ins. Do you own a class 3? and if you do, do the little check ups really ever happen?
>>
>>30294822
Correct that is the case because the barrel would still be 10". You'd have to have a permanently attached muzzle extension added to it to be a non-NFA.
>>
>>30294754
If it was a 16+ inch barrel but overall length shorter than 26 it becomes an AOW I think
>>
>>30294841
Yes im

>>30294807
>>30294820
>>30294835
>>30294846

The random drop in is an urban legend. They cannot randomly inspect your NFA items as a non-FFL or SOT holder. You file a form 1 or form 4, make or receive your NFA item, and go about your life.
>>
>>30294860
This.

OP dont make yourself an ffl.

Just file a form 1. That old "class 3" deal is only to acquire machine guns sold after the 80s, like vectors.

An ffl with a class 3 can buy one as a demonstration model to their local police. Even then, if the cops dont want to look at it and the atf calls them, they can deny the application.

Anyways, you just want to file a form 1. Which includes sending in a tax stamp. If you form a trust, you can file it under the trust too.. but do it before end of month because new atf law is going into effect July.
>>
Sub 16" barrel OR sub 26" OAL. Not both.
>>
>>30295030
>sending in a tax stamp
>>
>>30294835
Incorrect you can go from a pistol configuration to a rifle configuration and back but you cannot go from starting as a rifle from the factory to pistol. Instead it will just be an sbr. This is why you can place handguns into carbine uppers (that have a 16" bbl like mechtech) and remove the handgun legally. Carbine uppers like roni do not have the 16" barrel and would require you to register your pistol as an sbr. Atf has ruled on this already. As long as it never meets an NFA definition.

So AR pistol then adding a 16" upper and then a stock is legal. You can then remove the stock and then the barrel back to pistol is legal.
AR pistol add a stock and add 16" upper is illegal because for the short period of having a stock and short barrel is an sbr.
AR rifle remove stock add pistol upper is illegal because it is written that if it comes from where ever it is manufactured as a rifle it will remain a rifle.
Not sure why people on /k/ constantly post you cannot go from pistol to rifle and back and not get corrected usually /k/ is pretty solid for fact checking and calling out incorrect info.
>>
File: IMG_20151108_191246.jpg (1 MB, 2048x1520) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20151108_191246.jpg
1 MB, 2048x1520
>TFW you submitted 4 stamps in two months
its OK, I'm young and irresponsible with my money
>M92
>AAC TIRANT 45
>VZ-61
>9mm AR lower

About to submit another form 1 to build a 9mm suppressor for my 9mm AR
>>
>>30295462
>fuck the atf
>after paying the cuckstamps so you don't get in trouble
>>
>>30296057
if you cant do the time, dont do the crime.
>>
>>30296057
>not being able to ever take your fun guns out into public
>risking prison when transporting and shooting
yeah I felt dirty like the girl who sucked her first dick for a gram after her addiction got out of hand, but it got easier to take after each one.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.