[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M_ G8ZvROg0 I think I unde
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: maxresdefault.jpg (74 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
74 KB, 1280x720
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_M_G8ZvROg0

I think I understand what they're going for. So is this system seems to be for pirates who swarm in PT boats. You have long range ASMs, but what about short range missles (<1 km)? I guess this system would solve that. You can fire a dozen off at a time from a ship and kill six in short succession. Then mop up the rest with melaras/ship security.

If I'm wrong, correct me.
>>
>>30293455
Doesn't a ship only have 1 or 2 of those carousels? If they want to have enough missiles for a swarm they will give up on their availability to launch chaff and other goodies.

Also the Javelin is good for taking on one or two threats, not a swarm. It takes to long to acquire a target and can only go after one at a time.
>>
>>30293569
The system I linked has built in launchers for said countermeasures
>>
why are you putting a billion dollar ship within 1km of a enemy ship?

They don't have armor and can be sunk by an RPG-7
>>
>>30294937
>can be sunk by an RPG-7

They really can't.

>>30293455
Its a questionable solution for the amount of deck space it takes up.
>>
>>30293455
Or you could just fire an RPG?
>>
>>30293455
If I recall there's a pic of a Gibka mounting and firing an Ataka. I'd probably use a Vikhr instead. But basically it just means that Gibka can mount other stuff too.

It would be probably better to put Gibka on a small ship and let it use HE Kornet to smash Pirate boats.
>>
>>30295071
rps are automated from the ship short range like this. This saves cost and survivability of crew
>>
>>30293455
Wtf they are launching? Griffin? It looks different.
>>
At least it's cheap. Not too complex either.
>>
>>30295492
Looks like a Javelin.
>>
>>30294969
>Its a questionable solution for the amount of deck space it takes up.

This. It seems particularly redundant for a DDG style ship as they all have cannon and typically more than one CIWS as well as smaller crew served autocannons
>>
>>30293455

It's just a Javelin, why not just stash a couple in a weapons locker, and if speed-boat attacks happen, have the crew take them out and launch them.
>>
>So is this system seems to be for pirates who swarm in PT boats

No, no it's not. At no point have pirates been a threat to military ships.
>>
>>30296603
>chinese swarm tactics
>>
Looks like a very expensive way ti blow up some technical-tier boats

It think missiles like Cirit (Turkey) or LOGIR (south korea) would be more practical since they are practically Hydra rockets with guidance system

>>30296603
No but other countries have rigged some commercial-grade fast boats with anything grom Dushka, rocket launchers, even bombs
>>
>>30293455

Okay, there's a lot of unknowing about Centurion going on here, so lets get a couple things down.

Centurion is primarily a countermeasures device. It's bolt on, takes up no more space than the normal static launchers on ships and a hell of a lot less than the bulkier "traversable" countermeasures deployers. It also combines ASW and AAW countermeasures into one system, so you save deckspace elsewhere. Being in a stealthy constructive hood, it also aids ship RCS.

It can select countermeasure faster, can aim in any direction (It's the only 360 degree countermeasures device I know of) and can fit a vast array of different things.

The fact that it can mount Javelin is simply a demonstrational capability to show how modular it is that such a thing is even possible. While in theory, yes it could, there's not any customer who's aimed to use Javelin off it. It's a demonstration of the versatility and future proofed nature of the base system more than anything.

Hope that cleared some things up, Chemring have a great system, it's just a matter of finding someone who wants it, as it's definitely a premium end platform in countermeasures.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.