[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Best gun for home defence?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: Browning_Auto-5_20g_Mag.jpg (801 KB, 2916x558) Image search: [Google]
Browning_Auto-5_20g_Mag.jpg
801 KB, 2916x558
I've got a fairly large home, I was thinking a shotgun, like the pic
>>
>>30291553
Get an AR15 with 55gr or 40gr ammo
>>
>>30291553
yeah, or an ar/ak whatever works for you. just remember shorter a barrel helps you around corners and birdshot is for birds.
>>
Ar15 - short for handling

or a 9mm of any kind
>>
>>30291670
Never fired an AR15 before, why are they so popular now out of intrest?
>>
>>30291553
Do you do plan on doing any other activities with said home defense gun? If you're only going to have one, pick one that can serve multiple roles that make sense to you.

If you plan on short range target or IDPA or car carry full size 9mm.

If you plan on doing waterfowl, trap/skeet, and/or medium size game hunting, a 12ga shotgun with interchange barrels. I prefer pump action, others may disagree.

If you plan on varmint hunting or long(er) range target shooting, AR15.

Regardless, practice with it. A lot.
>>
>>30291670
Heavier match ammo is actually better, penetrates fewer panes of drywall
>>
>>30291709
Low recoil, light, tons of aftermarket, customizable however you wish, and extremely reliable. (also cause it makes the liberals cry)
>>
>>30291709
light recoil, fast shots, x30 with fast reloads. easy to accessories, good aftermarket and battle proven.
>>
>>30291790
I do some hunting, I may get a 12 gauge. The AR15 seems handy but I think a shotgun is more suitable. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>30291553

Like most people here, my vote is AR.

If you want to throw some money at it, one chambered in .300 Blk will work a bit better at home defense ranges.

If you really want to throw some money at it and are okay with paperwork, get a suppressed (integrally to reduce length) carbine length .300 Blk AR-15.
>>
>>30291927
How much do they cost usually?
>>
>>30291949
entry level ar15 would be six or seven hundred, something in a snowflake caliber with a can would run closer to 2k
>>
>>30291949

ARs start around 500, it'll be another 100-300 for a 300 blk upper.

A complete package Integrally Suppressed AR-15 will probably be in the 2000s, maybe even breaking 3000 after the required tax stamps.

However, building your own AR takes some homework, but can shave significant amounts of money off the process. How much in this case? I don't know, it depends on what deals you can track down and what manufacturers you want to avoid.

All in all, unless your loaded and want a literally top of the line HD gun, I'd just stick to a .300 blk AR for under 1000.
>>
File: 4chan.jpg (35 KB, 601x601) Image search: [Google]
4chan.jpg
35 KB, 601x601
>>30292048

>your

Damnit.

Before you put any money down, do your research. This is a sizable investment your life may depend on, treat it that way.
>>
>>30291949
What is you budget/long term goals?
>>
>>30292079
My budget can be around $2,000 tops, I dont really know what you mean by long term goals
>>
>>30292160
he's wondering if you plan to settle down with your rifle, maybe have some kids
>>
>>30292160

ARs are lego guns. The parts are mostly interchangeable throughout all the different product lines.

This lets you actually start with a cheaper rifle then literally build up bit by bit to a better one over time.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.