[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is a good rifle for a poor fag to get if they want to get
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: 13.jpg (137 KB, 480x457) Image search: [Google]
13.jpg
137 KB, 480x457
What is a good rifle for a poor fag to get if they want to get into long range shooting, /k/?
>>
How long?
>>
>>30289161
Nugget
>>
>>30289190
Depends, 500 yards, 1000 yards. Anything I can practice with that is beyond un assisted eye sight range
>>
>>30289204
Sooo... A .308.
Budget?
T3 is one of the go-tos.
>>
>>30289224
Budget is shit, Anywhere from $200 to $500, and $500 is really stretching it
>>
>>30289224
308 is pretty common, but you'll get better ballistics out of the 6.5 or 6mm flavors that LR shooters like. 6 creedmoor, 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5x47 Lapua, etc.

>>30289204
If your idea if long range is 500yards, then even a 223 will do just fine. 308 goes into the transonic range nearing 1k yards, but will do the job. As stated above, you probably want to be in the 6mm or 6.5mm bullets for LR (at least in a short action).

You can build a decent budget long range rifle on any Remington 700, Savage (12FV is on sale at cabelas a lot with a $100 rebate), Tikka T3 (Bolts are smooth as butter, and the aftermarket is starting to catch up with savage and remington), Howa 1500, or Weatherby Vanguard.

It's not about the rifle so much as it is the nut behind the stock, it's about practice and reading the wind. You can easily get started with any hunting rifle. Just bear in mind that with a thin profile hunting barrel you will be heating it up faster than a varmint/bull contour and will start throwing shots. Just take your time and let the rifle cool off.
>>
>>30289261
Ouch. Ruger American or Savage Axis.
>>
>>30289272
Forgot to mention Ruger American Rifles are also decent enough to get 1MOA and pretty cheap. You will want to replace the stock on any cheap rifle you buy almost immediately. You should be at a minimum putting a PA 4-14x44 FFP, or SWFA fixed 10,12,16,etc as far as glass, this and decent rings are basically going to smash your budget. Save up more, long range isn't a cheap endeavor.
>>
What about for someone who isn't a poorfag? I'd like to stay under a grand but I could go a little over if it would make a big difference in quality.
>>
>>30289535
Ruger RPR in 6.5 Creedmoor is a great start. Problem is you're already over a grand and you want to spend at a minimum about $800 on glass (Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP). I'd double your budget if you can and you're really wanting to get into LR.

If you can't, I'd seriously go grab a Savage 12FV from your local cabelas, send in the $100 rebate, toss the barrel up for sale. Head out an buy a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock, a prefit match barrel from anyone reputable, in your short action chambering of choice (6.5x47L, 6.5Creedmoor, 6mm Creedmoor). 6.5 Creedmoor or even .260 unless you reload. Then feel free to go grab a special snowflake cartridge like 6.5x47L. Absolute Minimum of glass is going to be a PA 4-14x44 FFP mildot, or SWFA SS fixed power. But you should really look at spending more on glass if you can afford it.
>>
>>30289161
You are going to get a lot of advice from people telling you to, pretty much, buy a lot of stuff you are years from being able to use effectively.

Long range shooting takes time and practice. You are going to need to put a lot of bullets down range and your first tool, with your budget, doesn't need to be that expensive. Like the man said, a Savage 12 FV will do fine.

>>30289793
Really nice glass won't make you a better shooter. At 600 meters or so, where this guy's going to be awhile, he'd be better off getting something decent and investing the rest in lots and lots of ammo.
>>
>>30289793
Why the 6.5 over .308? And I seriously doubt there's a absolute need to pay $800 on a scope. And for that second suggestion, that's overly complicated and fucking retarded.
>>
>>30289971
Watch YouTube channel tibosaurus rex. He has an extremely in depth long range shooting course. In fact, too goddamn in depth, but there is a metric fuckton of good info there. His scope choice vids are God tier. He has some sub $400 scope reccomendations for poorfags like us.

A rebarreled savage model 12 is the way to go. I'm getting mine chambered in .260 Remington.
>>
>>30289864
OP here. I actually posted a other thread of my friend on fb selling a savage model 111. Think that'd be alright, it's a little over my price range but I could work up to it
>>
>>30289864
Long range shooting is all about repeatability, precision if you will. Good glass will allow you to take make adjustments and be able to go right back to where you were before. Cheaper glass typically does not have very good tracking. That's the lowest quality of scope I, and most LR shooters, would recommend for a build that has a little bit of money to play with (which he did actually mention).

I agree that completely that shooting in general has much more to do with practice and time spent than equipment, but OP came here to ask about equipment.

>>30290045
>tibosaurus rex
Enjoy his videos, loads of information.

>>30289971
Sorry that you don't like like my suggestion for a perfectly good budget rifle? All I suggested was he buy a cheap rifle, rebarrel it himself and put a new stock on it.

6.5 is ballistically a superior bullet. Better at cutting the wind, staying out of the transonic zone longer (which causes bullets to destabilize).
>>
>>30290070
Savages have a very strong aftermarket for the sole reason that they have barrel nuts which allows you to swap the barrel (and change calibers) without the assistance of a gunsmith. This requires a barrel nut wrench, and head space gauges and about 5 minutes of your time.
>>
>>30290653
But does this make it efficient for long range shooting?
>>
>>30291240
It will do just fine. If it is a stock model 111, and you enjoy long range shooting, you will end up making quite a few upgrades. They are hunting rifles out of the box.
>>
Find a top bolt release savage in a short action with a 308 bolt face. Buy a swfa 10x. Upgrade stock/dbm first, then barrel.

Usee is fine if you get a decent deal. If you are plannong on ahootong target mainly inside 500 to start 223 is a fantastic caliber to learn on. Somewhere on the line learn to reload.

Take a class when you can afford it and can get sub moa groups from a bench.
>>
A Hi-Point and some good running shoes
>>
Nugget is all you need.
>>
>>30289161
22lr
>>
Correct me if I'm being too much of a clueless noob, as this isn't my kind of discipline, but I would think the biggest money issue would be ammo. I think OP should be making choices that maximize rounds downrange, and then get things like expensive glass later.

What's the cheapest way to shoot that will build skills?
>>
File: 1465789016685.jpg (333 KB, 1746x1562) Image search: [Google]
1465789016685.jpg
333 KB, 1746x1562
>>30289289
I didn't think there are any replacement stocks for the Ruger American Rifle yet.... at least not any good ones.
>>
>>30289261
2nding savage axis
>>
File: GetImage.png (152 KB, 943x450) Image search: [Google]
GetImage.png
152 KB, 943x450
Inb4 I get shit on for my suggestion

I too live in California and took a gamble with my Budget rifle. Results will vary

> I went to Dicks Sporting Goods
> Bought Remington 700 ADL Varmint .308 - 26" barrel $499.99 ($449.99 with mail in rebate)
> $560 out the door after after tax and dros

> Bought Magpul Hunter 700 Stock from Primary Arms $190 on sale
> Bought Magpul Hunter Magwell from Primary Arms $60

> So far spent $760, received the mail in rebate with in the month

Looking at buying a scope now, leaning towards Vortex Viper 6.5-20 x 50 Mil Dot

Pic related, looks like my rifle now
>>
>>30289161
Remington SPS varmit in 308 is a great base rifle.
>>
>>30289161
>Poorfag
> long range shooting

900$ will get you a decent rig you will be happy with.

Savage 10 FPC with a SWFA x10 optic.

Enjoy eatting reman for a few months to save enough to get it.

Avoid Axis if you can....
>>
>>30289161
Savage model 10/11/12.

Caliber depends on the range you intend to shoot at.

6.5 and 7 millimeters are the best out to 1200 meters.
.338 out to a mile.
.408 or .416 out to 2500 meters.

Pick your range, pick your recoil. The heavier calibers are more expensive. 6.5 creedmore will be a good starting caliber to learn with, that has serious legs out to 1200.

You will need a reloading press. Period. You need one.
>>
File: 6.5 eld generic.png (89 KB, 613x836) Image search: [Google]
6.5 eld generic.png
89 KB, 613x836
>6.5 creedmore
> Learning

Let's say Op is shooting a 10x10 steel or more commonly a 11x8.

It's a great caliber, but not for learning on. The margin of error is to forgiving, Op will fall to the " Eh good enough" mindset.

He'd be better served learning how to stretch a .22lr to 200 yards or a a 5.56/.223 until he actually bothers learning how to shoot at range.

Don't get me wrong if OP wants to put very little effort in learning and shooting then 6.5 creed is the answer.
>>
>>30289535
Howa 1500 barreled action -$450
B&c Medalist stock or chassis of your choice -$225-800

Swfa fixed 10x. - $250
Rings and base -$75

You can be in the game with a much bwtter rifle then the rem 700 for around $1000
>>
File: .308 155gr amax.png (84 KB, 605x834) Image search: [Google]
.308 155gr amax.png
84 KB, 605x834
.308 155gr
>>
>>30289161
.308 is probably the best learning round. Good ammo is cheap, loads of rifles, decent ballistics out to 1km etc
>>
>>30289161
There isn't one. You get what you pay for. That being said, Tikka is the best bang for your buck.
>>
>>30297845
Seconding the .22lr. If you're down to learn shoot for real and on the cheap it's great. You have to be okay with not being the loudest or the biggest gun on the range but you'll get the right start.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.