[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of revolver should I get?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6
File: 10495362_1.jpg (67 KB, 1500x555) Image search: [Google]
10495362_1.jpg
67 KB, 1500x555
I'm buying my first gun, and I'd like a revolver, any suggestions?
>>
>>30289042
Not some queer shit like that
>>
Make sure you get one that spins clockwise. Anti-clockwise revolvers are for fags and Communists.
>>
Smith and wesson 686
>>
>>30289071
MAXIMUM KEK

Ok, OP, is this the first gun you'll own or the first gun you'll shoot?

What is your budget?

And what do you intend to use it for? Displaying, fondling, target shooting, hunting and self defence are all valid uses.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (181 KB, 1280x714) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
181 KB, 1280x714
Dunno OP but I've been thinking about a ruger lcr in 9mm
>>
Self defence & Maybe hunting
>>
>>30289128
Is this the first gun you'll own or the first gun you'll shoot?

What is your budget?

When you say self defence, do you mean home defence or concealed carry?
>>
First gun I'll own, Ive had experience with guns.
As for budget, I'd say around $1,000
And Ideally both, I dont live in the nicest area
>>
>>30289184
Ok.

Consider that a revolver is not the best self defence gun because the heavy double-action trigger does not facilitate follow-up shots, which are key to self defence. A lot of people refute this fact by stating that, since most revolvers are chambered in high powered pistol calibers, the shooter can get by with fewer shots on target. This refutation is completely nonsensical, because a high powered round doesn't help unless it hits the target. And since revolvers are (as a class characteristic) more challenging to shoot than automatics (due to higher weight, heavier trigger, and poor grips), one might end up needing more follow up shots with the revolver anyway.

But, if you're comfortable trusting your life to your revolver shooting proficiency, go right ahead.

For $1000 or less you could probably get a used model 27 or 29. These are smith and wesson's flagship large size revolvers in .357 and .44 caliber, respectively. they are extremely rugged, as far as revolvers go, and have a long history of reliability. However, they're not small. You would be most comfortable carrying a full sized revolver in a shoulder holster, although that may not be practical in your climate. these are what could be called a 'one shot stopper' if you hit the target in centre-mass. these guns could be used for hog hunting if you got one in the 5-inch barrel version. for self defence i would say get the 3.5" (.357) or 3" (.44) models simply for ease of use. keep in mind that most self defence scenarios occur within 5 meters, so you need to be able to draw your gun without it getting caught in your clothing (unless you want to get stabbed while fumbling with your piece.

you could also get a model 649, which is a small size 5 shot revolver. it has an internal hammer and could be carried IWB. this would not be suitable for hunting; it's more of a card-player's gun. good for shooting across a medium-sized room (~5m), but it has one less shot than your other revolvers.
>>
>>30289094
>>30289071
samefag
>>
>>30289042
Ruger GP100 .357
>>
>>30289399
checked, but you're wrong
>>
>>30289042
K or N frame S&W, .38/357, or .44 mag in the large frame. As a former Ruger employee, I'd have no issues with buying a S&W revolver, sight unseen, as I know I could fix it easily.

-To continue

The Ruger wheelguns are superb, but many smiths are scared of them. They are also sadly a bit scarce. All Ruger revolvers are robust.

Colt revolvers are excellent but far more fragile than the the Ruger or S&W offerings. I have owned many Colt revolvers and admire them. But they are not sturdy.
>>
What are you using it for OP?

In any case, Smith and Wesson 686 is a good first choice.
>>
File: 3frff.jpg (402 KB, 900x600) Image search: [Google]
3frff.jpg
402 KB, 900x600
>>30289577
This.

Meplat is your friend and will know more than any other faggot on this site.
>>
>>30289076
Samuel Colt? I thought you were dead?

Please straighten out your company
>>
>>30289577
I'm a Smith fan myself (no problem with rugers I have a Vaquero that I love), but I'm wondering why gunsmiths don't like working on Rugers? I know Bowen does good work on them but I never looked up what goes into working on the Ruger double actions.
>>
>>30289577
Thanks for the advice, what kind of ruger/colt would you recommend?
>>
File: erron black.jpg (13 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
erron black.jpg
13 KB, 210x240
>>30289042
Unless you're pic related, don't buy a revolver like that. Revolvers are good because they're easier to learn to shoot on, but HORRIBLE things to get used to shooting if you ever want to shoot autoloaders. A lot of cops have to get special triggers ton their autos hat mimic those of revolvers
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.