[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, This thing has an aircraft jet engine and advance electronics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /k/ - Weapons

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4
File: 120727-abrams-js-11a.jpg (138 KB, 1000x598) Image search: [Google]
120727-abrams-js-11a.jpg
138 KB, 1000x598
So, This thing has an aircraft jet engine and advance electronics and complicated firing systems.

It might as well be hand forged by Master Smiths in the Dwarven mines of Moria and use Mithril and Adamantium to make up its components.

Did we not learn from the germans in WW2? Tiger tank took 2,000 man hours to construct compared to the Sherman or the T34 which took considerably less time.
>>
>>30282790
>aircraft jet engine
You mean turbine engine?
>>
>>30282790

Difference being that with the sensors and gun-laying it has, it can do first-round hits, it can inmediately switch to a new target after having shot one, and with that it can do a 1v10 against inferior tanks and win.

Also, Tiger was just not a very good design.
>>
File: 1440011935797.gif (3 MB, 283x238) Image search: [Google]
1440011935797.gif
3 MB, 283x238
>>30282790
>Sherman
>peak production in 1942 2,000 per month from eleven factories
>during total war

>M1A1 Abrams
>peak production in 1986 at Lima Army Tank Plant 120 per month from one factory
>during the doldrums of fuck Commies peacetime

>implying if we didn't go full fuck everything total war that wouldn't be 2,000 per month from eleven factories
>>
>>30282790
>Tiger tank took 2,000 man hours to construct compared to the Sherman or the T34 which took considerably less time.

Why do you assume that assembly line production hasn't improved significantly since WW2?

And lets not forget the Abrams factories aren't being being strategically bombed every day and night.

Honestly OP, it's like saying we shouldn't have iPhones because we still have old Nokia bricks.

(though fuck Iphones)
>>
>>30282790
Context is everything you idiot.

When you're in an all out war where whoever wins is almost entirely decided on who can produce the most tanks, yes, you might want something easy to produce and roll out of your factories. But unless you're in that specific context it's not optimal to build as much simple shit as possible.
>>
>>30282790

lmao.

Tiger took fully 300,000 man hours to produce. Tiger 2 only slightly less.

A late production Sherman too 10,000 to 14,000 depending on where it was made.

As for the Abrams, warfare changed between the end of WW2 and when the Abrams was designed.

The war just ends too fast for any kind of production to make up for losses. The Soviets were planning operations like "7 days to the River Rhine". 7 days is not enough to produce a tank, it's barely enough to get your US-side tanks on a boat and over to Europe.

When wartime production literally doesn't matter, you don't want an inferior tank that can be produced quickly and cheaply. You want the best damn tank you can get your hand on so the ones that you can get into the fight count for a lot.

The limit on how many tanks the US could field wasn't how fast they could be produced, it's how many tank crewmen and commanders the US army has billeted.
>>
File: 14fzEpS (1).jpg (47 KB, 625x626) Image search: [Google]
14fzEpS (1).jpg
47 KB, 625x626
>>30282790
>>
>So, This thing has an aircraft jet engine

And I stopped reading.
>>
>>30283787
Mostly because you didn't know what those words mean.
>>
File: bait.webm (184 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
bait.webm
184 KB, 960x540
>>30282790
High quality Bait for your low quality thread.
>>
>>30283111
>Tiger took fully 300,000 man hours to produce
The Tiger was designed in 1942. If your figures are correct, the first one would have rolled off the production line in 1976, the second would have been ready in 2010 and the third one would be about 15% complete as of today.
>>
>>30284054
>each tank was built entirely by 1 single person over the course of those hours

is this really your argument?
>>
>>30282790
And turbine is stupid idea btw. Russians don't use them anymore because they were fucking shit.
>>
>>30284054

what if, hear me out.

a lot of people work on the tiger over the course of producing one tank.

At the same time that one guy is cutting gears for the transmission, another guy could be welding the hull together.

If you divide 300,000 man hours among 1000 people, that's on average 300 hours/person. Given a 10 hour work day, that's a month's worth of time to put together a Tiger, which is about right.

Of course, different people have different tasks, so the labor distribution is not very even, but what if that was possible?
>>
>>30283787
[irony intensifies]
>>
>>30282790
I would love one of those fully loaded sitting in my drive way. Of course I would need to reinforce my concrete but worth it.
>>
>>30284054
good job on being 15 and not understanding the concept of man hours lmao
>>
>>30284054
hahahaha, you didnt stop to think for a second before you hit that "post" button and now you look like a total stooge.

DUMBASS
>>
>>30282790
A tank crew takes between 499,320 and 665,760 hours to produce a brand new tank crew. Did we not learn the lesson the last time that we need to decrease this time?
>>
>>30284054

It's better to keep your mouth closed and be presumed a fool than open it and remove all doubt.
>>
>>30284054
>1945
>Göring call hanz and see if wunderwaffe Tigeris ready
>"hallo, Hanz?"
>"ja, who is zis?"
>"Das ist göring, how is ze project totenkomfwaffenpanzerschnitzel comin?"
>"is to early to say herr göring, I have just found ze perfect pipe section for gunsight! I shall attempt and cast the first track bolt tomorrow herr göring"
>"But hanz, berlin is about to fall!"
>"Oh, I shall work overtime and try to start casting road wheels!"
>"Godspeed hanz!"
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.